Electric Brake Controller

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Electric Brake Controller

Post by HenryJ »

Do you think I took long enough to think about this one:
HenryJ wrote:(From the old forum) Date Posted: 19:51:25 08/06/02 Tue

Does any one have a brake controller for thier trailer?
I haven't done much research on them yet.

Is there one that is "plug'n'play"?
I've heard that the wiring may already be in the dash.

Which kind is best?
My only experiences are with the old style hydraulic to electric controllers.
Inertia? Time delay? Etc...?

Anyone out there already done the homework?

Finally wired one up today :lol:

The "push" was the sale of my Suburban. Now I have to use the crew cab, if I want to pull a trailer.

I'd like to say I had spent all this time researching the best controller, but alas no. I went with a recognized trade name...Valley , and it was cheap too. It is just a rebadged AccuTrac controller Accu Power is the trade name and Tekonsha must be the company?

Anyway...I had to add all the wiring. One thing that I did learn in the last three years is that it is not "plug-n-play".

I mounted it under the dash , level , near the center console. Right in line with my right leg. I was able to use one of the lower panel screws to hold the bracket. The other I screwed through the panel. The wires slip up in between the two panels , so no drilling there.
It is grounded to the upper right throttle hinge bolt on the firewall. I tapped the white wire from the stop light switch. Power was taken from the cable connection at the engine compartment electrical center and run through a plug inline 30 amp breaker. At some point I may go back and add a maxi breaker to one of the two free slots, but for now this was easy. The power wire and the brake wire were inserted through the main wire bundle grommet that is located between the fender and brake booster , on the firewall. Pushing a piece of welding wire through from the engine compartment side, the taping and pulling back through , has been the easiest way I have found to do this.
I ran a 12 gauge wire back to the trailer plug.

The controller has "hard" , "soft" and inertia settings, as well as a manual slide control and LED status indicator. It is mounted down low enough as to be invisible.

I have yet to try it out, but don't see any problems so far :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You never cease to amaze me. :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Screw Consumer Reports...we have Brule! :thumb:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]