Idle Speed Controller

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Idle Speed Controller

Post by HenryJ »

Bigredheep.com : Use Cruise Control Servo as Idle Speed Controller
Might be nice to have an electronic throttle control. I wonder if this could be done to ours?

Diagram
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

What would be the purpose of doing this? Maybe better charging in nuetral while winching? You certainly wouldn't want to lower your idle. I would also think that a higher idle will cause more heat build up in the trans because of the rpm's being closer to the stall speed. Maybe you would use it for slow speed crawling? Maybe I'm just really confused! :lol:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:What would be the purpose of doing this? Maybe better charging in nuetral while winching? ...Maybe you would use it for slow speed crawling?
Yes on both accounts.

I think the biggest advantage would be during the use of booster cables, or remote winching, also while using the vehicle lighting.

What'cha think, do-able?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wiring at controller under the hood:

F G H I J K
E D C B A

A = GRY Cruise Control On Switch Signal

B = DK BLU Cruise Control Set/Coast Switch Signal

C = GRY/BLK Cruise Control Resume/Accel Switch Signal

D = BRN/WHT CPP Switch Signal

E = BLK/WHT Ground

F = BRN Ignition 3 Voltage

G = LT BLU CHMSL Supply Voltage

H = Not Used

J = LT BLU/BLK Cruise Control Engaged Signal

K = DK GRN/WHT Vehicle Speed Signal

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Instead of going through all this trouble, wouldn't it just be easier to have a buddy pull on the throttle wire under the hood? :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:Instead of going through all this trouble, wouldn't it just be easier to have a buddy pull on the throttle wire under the hood? :lol:
I don't have any "buddies" that are willing to do that, or that will fit under the hood ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

You could always carry a brick for the accelerator pedal!!! :lol:
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BigRedHeep Forum - Use Cruise Control Servo as Idle Speed Controller
KsZJ wrote:
HenryJ wrote:I would like to see if there is new and / or additional information on this modification.

Is it still working well? Any hindsight or changes?
It works great. I haven't had any problems with it.
Do you know the specific function, or label for the wires that were used? Four wires are shown on the diagram, but only the ground is identified.
On the servo used in the Jeep, it is just 2 vacuum solenoids with an external control. All I did was grab the wires after the control but before the servo. I listed only the black, beacuse it is the only wire that is constant. Different vehicles have different colored wires, but the locations are the same. The wire next to the ground is a power (+) wire. The third wire in is the "hold" solenoid... it closes the vent port in the servo. The last wire opens the vacuum intake port.

When you turn the power on, it closes the vent port. When the switch is pressed, it opens the vacuum port and moves a piston inside the servo. This pulls on the throttle. When you press the switch down, it opens the vent port to allow the piston to move the other way.
I would like to use this method of throttle control on a GM using a Delphi module.

The GM module has:
A = GRY Cruise Control On Switch Signal
B = DK BLU Cruise Control Set/Coast Switch Signal
C = GRY/BLK Cruise Control Resume/Accel Switch Signal
D = BRN/WHT CPP Switch Signal
E = BLK/WHT Ground

F = BRN Ignition 3 Voltage
G = LT BLU CHMSL Supply Voltage
H = Not Used
J = LT BLU/BLK Cruise Control Engaged Signal
K = DK GRN/WHT Vehicle Speed Signal
From the sound of it... your cruise module is built into the servo. You will need a microcontroler to interface with the unit. There is a commercially available unit that I have seen, but I don't know if it works with a GM or not.

On another note... I have made a stand alone version using a digital servo and a BS2 chip. It had an LCD screen and a 9-key. You could type in the desired RPM and the unit would output the desired RPM and the actual rpm on the LCD.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Offroadengineering idle speed controller

VMac Throttle Controller

Throttle Control Project

This looks like it is becoming WAY too complicated!
I believe in K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stuipid)

Maybe there is a way to intercept and use the IAC valve for a high idle function? Perhaps even machine the throttle body to accept a dual idle control valve arrangement?

(Just thinking out loud)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Maybe there is a way to intercept and use the IAC valve for a high idle function?
Maybe if you could control the input voltage with some sort of variable rotary switch combined with a manual overide switch. :shrug:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The valve consists of a movable pintle, driven by a gear attached to an electric motor called a stepper motor. The IAC valve motor is a 2-phase, bi-polar permanent magnet stepper motor that is capable of highly accurate rotation, or movement, every time the polarity of a winding is changed.
The PCM uses the IAC valve in order to control the engine idle speed. The IAC does this by changing the pintle position in the idle air passage of the throttle body.

With a scan tool in the RPM control function you can slowly increment engine speed to 1,800 RPM.

With the J 37027-A IAC System Motor Analyzer, you can command the IAC valve out until near 1,800 RPM is reached. Looks like I need to investigate the price and availability of one of these.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

SONOMA915 wrote:You could always carry a brick for the accelerator pedal!!! :lol:
I agree but I think there are a few others that don't see the humor :wink:
Some of this stuff goes way over my head :roll:
I think there are a few members on here that should be engineers for GM :idea: But I'm glad there not or we would loose all this valuble information :D

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I was only playing. Alot of the cars I work on are fly by wire, the only draw back is that when the throttle body takes a dump you have no control over the accelerator. Its always nice to have the cable as a back-up. :)
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:
wamason wrote:Instead of going through all this trouble, wouldn't it just be easier to have a buddy pull on the throttle wire under the hood? :lol:
I don't have any "buddies" that are willing to do that, or that will fit under the hood ;)
Who said anything about being willing? :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK, how about a vacuum leak? It will raise the idle right?
Now if I take a port below the throttle body, attach it to a vacuum control solenoid and tap the intake tube above the throttle body, but below the mass airflow sensor, would that give me a high idle solenoid?
The fuel should still be metered correctly as the intake is below the MAF. The only thing is that the throttle position sensor will not show a change. I'm not sure how that may play a part here.

A controlled vacuum leak seems easy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Tried the controlled vacuum leak today... but HAL says , "I know what you're doing...I can't let you do that Dave..."

Didn't work. Back to square one.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Tried the controlled vacuum leak today... but HAL says , "I know what you're doing...I can't let you do that Dave..."

Didn't work. Back to square one.
You definitely are a scifi freak. Nice to know I am not alone but, that movie kinda dates you, Brule :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]