Winter/water proofing 4-flat trailer hookup

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Winter/water proofing 4-flat trailer hookup

Post by mjmcdowell »

First.. I don't haul a trailer but once in a blue moon so my reciever sees more duty as a recovery point but I still want to keep the electrical connection in good shape and functioning for whenever that "Blue moon" rises. Up here in the northeast winter is long and nasty on vehicles and related parts, so... this is what I thought I would try to make sure that it will work when needed. If I were to keep it out of the direct elements and further protect it with a dab of plain old lubercating grease from the grease gun then put the cover on do you guy's think that would do any harm providing It was cleaned up before use? Do you think that it would make it more moisture resistant than just the supplied rubber cover? I don"t think that WD-40 would last long enough under winter conditions. The plug is already stored out of the way in one of those little boxes made for such purposes and mounted on the reciever. What say you all? stay safe, mjmcdowell
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Regular electrical grease will work fine.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Hmmm....I haven't every really done anything to mine aside from using the little black rubber cap that goes on the plug. And I normally just wrap the wire around my hitch ball. Never had any issues withit rusting or shorting out. I did, however, wrap the wires from the taillight harness to the plug in splitloom tubing and then with electrical tape to prevent knicks or anything else.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Use "electrical grease" it is non conductive. What you want is a tube of Dielectric silicone. Then there will be no need to clean it all off. Just remove the dirt and put it in use.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Well...this thread has me going over new ideas to help my trailer wiring harness....

Does anyone know if they make a 4 wire flat connector that's alot tougher than the standard ones you can get at wallyworld or autozone?
--Walt
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Keeper for trailer wire harness

Post by mjmcdowell »

For Wamason, first , untwist the wire harness off that hitch ball! eventually it will fail you, and I know that you probably don't really like the way it looks anyway! then look again at "Wally world" they have these neat little keepers like a small 11/2x11/2 " box with a non rusting stainless spring that keep it closed and has a recess for the wire to fit, I too have my harness covered with split tube for x-tra protection. I mounted the box/keeper on the bottom of the reciever on the right side close to the hitch part, heck, one afternoon I even made a little protection piece to keep it some what protected from brush,weeds or debris thrown from the tires etc. that should provide enough protection for all but the worst stuff that it may come in contact with. Like I said I don't use it much but when I do I want it to work without screwing around with it, HJ, K9 thanks for the suggestion on the electrical grease, I will be off to get some very soon! When the wife helpes me post photos I will post the CC and close ups of it and the mods that I have done. If I do say so myself some are pretty cool and very functional and most of all not that expensive to do, so....... comming soon ...I hope, photos!!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I use it too much, so my trailer ball is a very convenient place without having to reach under the truck (it really doesn't bother me). The protection/strengthening I'm refering too is to to strengthen the actual plug since it's used alot. But I may check into the box....but the last time I had one it turned out to be a hassle :/
--Walt
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Trailer wiring

Post by mjmcdowell »

Wamason, that might not be a problem, mabey you could utilize a quick disconnect type of rig, plugs male and female near the end of the wire harness so that you could change it out if need be with a spare flat plug. Might work with a little more thought on the matter, or..mabey you could change out the whole flat plug system on the trailer/truck for a round system that might be stronger, don't know. I do know that there some holders for other types of plugs that might work and be acessable much better than how I do it for frequent use. I'll bet there are other ideas out there among the fourmites that might help you as it seems we are a rather resourceful bunch, what say you all? stay safe, mjmcdowell
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

This is my setup, I have a round four pole connector attached through the bumper. You can pick it up a most walmarts alond with a four pole round to four flat adapter. Works great because those llittle black boxes and what nots that attach to the hitch will almost always get ripped off it you happen to bottom out. :( Image

P.S. I know, I know, i ahve to clean the connectors. Nothing a little contact cleaner can't handle. :roll:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I have my connector zip tied to the bottom of the bumper. Love that Arizona dirt in the connector BorderMan. We get tons of dust storms here and the little black cap keeps the connectors clean.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

border man wrote:This is my setup......
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!!! Thanks Border Man! I just foung my next little mod!

(It's amazing the stuff you find when you're not even looking for it!)
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

hmmm....me too. Excellent work Border Man :D
--Walt
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Electrical grease,where?

Post by mjmcdowell »

Ok... where cam I get some dilectrical silicone/electrical grease, HJ, save me a wild goose chase, Home Depot didn't know what I was refering to, not surprising tho. Border Man, may have to go the way you did, deffinately a more protected mount location than mine, good mod. but so far I have been lucky and have not bottomed out the bumper on anythihg harder than soft mud, but there is always a chance of that hidden log,rock..... stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Electrical grease,where?

Post by HenryJ »

mjmcdowell wrote:Ok... where can I get some dielectric silicone...
An auto parts store, or ask a alternator / starter shop.
Napa has a white plastic tube with red lettering under the AGS brand (Cat. No. DS-1). Permatex has some in a silver tube. Look for it hanging , bubble packed , with the RTV and silicone sealants.

It is an automotive use primarily.

Permatex Industrial
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I may be wrong but, I think I used what is available in auto parts stores for applying to spark plug wires. Just ask the counter man.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Care of trailer wires

Post by mjmcdowell »

Done!, Waterproofed with sparkplug grease, also did the roof rack mounted spot light pigtail plug. My thanks to one and all for the information, as always a solution to a problem or a good idea is to be had here when you ask, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!, stay safe, mjmcdowell