??? About Replacing The Front Speakers

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

??? About Replacing The Front Speakers

Post by gocntry »

I Have A Question About Replacing The Front Speakers. I Have The Following Speakers A Tweeter & A 6" Set That Have A Crossover Box With Them. I Would Like To Know If I Need To Use The CrossOver Box Or Does The Stock System Already Take Care Of That For Me? So I Can Just Swap The Door Speakers And The Tweeters And Be Good To Go.

The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Well, the stock speakers have a tweeter cone built in, so you'll have to find a place to mount that tweeter. And since it will be separate, you'll need that crossover to filter off low frequencies to keep from damaging it. You might be able to mount the tweeter on that litte triangle piece thats right by the mirror. Has anyone here done that?

I bought 2-way speakers for the door so I didn't have to mess with crossovers, etc.
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

1337vending wrote:Well, the stock speakers have a tweeter cone built in, so you'll have to find a place to mount that tweeter.
I Always Thought We Had Tweeters In The Dash :?:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

there are tweeters in the dash but there in something like a 3x4 frame there easy to pull just pull it and have a look
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

You'll be much better off using the supplied crossovers. they were designed for thaose particular components. The stock GM system uses a cheap capacitor to block the bass off the stock tweets - effective, but not as good as the setup you want to install.

I'd recommend running speakerwire to the doors, and to the dash, that way you bypass all of the factory wiring - that way if you want to pullt he audio equip down theline, you can plug the stock equipment right back up, and just leave the aftermarket wire in the door/dash.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

I think the speakers in the dash are 2-way also, since the grilles are pretty big.
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

dash is just a tweeter with the stock setup
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Ah ok, good to know...been wanting to replace the dash speakers anyways.

Future mods:
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I guess I should clarify - the dash speakers are just tweeters, but they're mounted on a 4x6 plate. Aftermarket 4x6's will mount there pretty easily.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by IBSonoma »

I replaced the dash tweeters with a regular 4x6 speaker. I then mounted a small tweeter in the upper corner of the windshield. The sound difference was awesome.
I'm expecting a Pioneer head unit for Christmas, I already have the Kenwood sub waiting to be installed.
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

just plans as of now, but i am looking to replace all door and dash speakers with kicker comp, replace the head unit with a fold out dvd player from pioneer w/navagation, and for a small amount of added bass, i will be adding four 12's or two 15' and two 10's, for just a small amount of bass you know!!! i will not yet specify how or where i am getting room for 4 subs, just know that it is definately going to cost me, BIG!!!!!!!!
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

There are only two mays that I know to fit 4 12's and that is to get rid of the back seat or do a bed cut. If its gonna cost alot I would say that you are gonna do a bed cut. Just my .02.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

cant pull wool over your eyes now can we, its gonna be a cut thru, i was quoted 3000 bucks for jst the bass, (box, speakers, amps, cut, wiring) but after i got ahold of the computer, i found that i could by all my speakers, (subs and door speakers) my fold out dvd w/nav, and my all amps for right at 3000, so needless to say i wont be going to that stereo shop, then the next day i had someone quote me between $200 and $500 bucks for the box and mounting everything, that includes the hard enamel(SP?) to be sprayed on the box to weather proof, then another place told me like 2 or 3 hundred for install, so i definately got the price down, it will be started as soon as i leave for the sand box again, which by the way is REAL SOON, wink wink, RRREEEEAAAALLLLL SSSOOOOooooNNNN
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

That second estimate sounds like the one I got. I just couldn't see getting rid of what little of a bed I have. Well be safe in the sand box and please pop in and say hello every now and then, so we know how you are doing :)
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

alright a tad off line but, how does your truck sound with the 10's, i know it wont be the same as having 4 12's rattleing my brains around, but does it give you some nice bass, i am not really sure if i want to keep the CC much longer, thinking about a Jeep, so i really dont want to cut into the bed and drop my value even more, i will already have a hard time selling my truck for the simple fact that when i bought it i added 8 thousand in negative equity from my 2003 sunfire i traded in on it, so i dont need to add the big holes in the bed to the dents on the side, to the scratches from offroading to whatever else may be wrong with my truck, sorry, little rambling, basically, how does your current system sound, scale of one to ten, one being stock system, ten being, 4 12's in the bed???

thanks for any help
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I only have one ten. Its a shallow mount woofer. On a scale of one to ten I would say its probably a 5. I am going to try and put in two eights, but we will see if they fit. I am a bass fanatic, but there is just not alot of room for the thumping sound system that I am used to.
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

so do you think you could buy the bottom of the line bazooka tube and replace the speaker with a better one and it would help? i quess you cant fit 2 tens back there huh, did you have to mod anything??
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I will eventually get two Bazooka tubes, they should improve the sound. As far as modding anything, all I did was remove the jack.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I have 2 8" Bazooka tubes in my truck and the Bass is pretty good 99% of the time im the only 1 in my truck so I have them mounted to the back floor the wires come out under the seat so if I need to I can take 1 out and put 1 in the center to have atleast 3 passangers.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]