Front camera

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Front camera

Post by HenryJ »

Hey Seapahn, how well did that front camera work?

Are you planning to re-install it?

I've got one of those X-10 wireless cam's and have been thinking about picking up a portable DVD player w/lcd screen for trips.

Would it be possible to use the cam with the DVD player as the monitor?

Maybe you could fill me in on what you did and used?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

if the monitor has an input. sure it would work.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

That front camera definitely adds to the "coolness" factor. It's also fun to watch sometimes. But to be totally honest, I've never had to rely on it ... also it's hard to judge distances and objects so from a practical standpoint, it is fairly useless.

The rear one I have used several times though. Especially when the back cargo area was FULL of stuff and I was backing out of a parking spot or something. Again, it's very hard to judge distances, but you can easily tell if there is something there or not (like a pole, a kid, another car) etc. Just don't forget that for the rear-facing one to look right, the image has to be flipped horizontally. Otherwise, things will be confusing as hell. My new LCD display has that feature (7" Audiobahn with 2 inputs).

The x-10 ones give you standard RCA-type video. So as hobie said, if the display has an input (like an AUX input) then for sure it would work. They also run off of 12V directly, so hookup is VERY easy. 2 wires for power, 2 wires for video and 2 wires for sound. I did not connect the sounds.

As far as my front camera, right now it's taped to the tow hook ... I have glued the base of it but haven't put it back yet. I also have not tested it after this:

This was I guess a couple of weeks ago ... I just washed the truck today!!!!! So I'm not sure how waterproof they are. They've lasted really well so far and all I do is just wipe clean their plastic protective lense once in a while.

But if you are thinking of doing it, go for it! I get so many oooo's and aaaaa's from passengers!!!!
Last edited by seapahn on Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

What are you planning on using the X-10 Camera for? My buddy had both the X10 regular and "wide" angle ones but they don't really have that good clarity(esp. for security cameras like they are hypeing them as).

As for an LCD screen, I think I remember telling you guys I bought a 99bucks Target/KOSS portable DVD player(it's now 79bucks at target), and a Playstation ONE LCD/Game Combo which has Video/sound input. The PSone combo was about $135 which a bare LCD is over 120 anyway so I figure I'd just get the PSone.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i havent washed my truck either since that mud hole. i figure i will this weekend. that mud has really stuck to the truck
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

By the way, THIS THREAD at zr2.com provides a good example when a front camera may come in handy! Unfortunately, mine was not functional at the time.

I'm sure hobie will tell you what kind of drop was awaiting in front!!! I decided to take the difficult line to the left which went up a sharp incline and then was supposed to do a tight turn downhill to the right, which you can't see from inside the truck at all. The only reason I stopped is that I could just feel hobie and the other guys laughing behind me on the trail (I was the "trail leader" at the time). They took the easy line on the right and bypassed that hill. :lol:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i think we were laughing cuz you kept calling the 2wd dirt road that you led us down a "trail" :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

seapahn wrote: it's hard to judge distances and objects so from a practical standpoint, it is fairly useless. The rear one I have used several times though.
I may have to consider a rear mount too. I already have the power source for the winch at both ends.

hookup is VERY easy. 2 wires for power, 2 wires for video and 2 wires for sound. I did not connect the sounds.

So you have a different camera.

Mine is 2.4 ghz wireless color no sound.

I thought I'd mount the receiver inside somewhere and have the plug acessable for the monitor. Then do some type of quick mounts for the camera.

I'm not sure if there would be much interference while driving around though.

I might have to do a test run some time.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

seapahn you got big ones to climb lions back. http://zr2.cs.ucla.edu/seapahn/gal/moab ... CN0500.jpg AWESOME :shock: hobie have you done it?
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

24digger wrote:seapahn you got big ones to climb lions back. http://zr2.cs.ucla.edu/seapahn/gal/moab ... CN0500.jpg AWESOME :shock: hobie have you done it?

nope, i didnt get to go on that trip. i was working :(

and what you dont know is that when seapahn was coming down lion's back,....IT STARTED RAINING :shock:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

24digger wrote:seapahn you got big ones to climb lions back. http://zr2.cs.ucla.edu/seapahn/gal/moab ... CN0500.jpg AWESOME :shock: hobie have you done it?

heheheh ... it's really not as bad as it looks in the pics but it sure is a hair raising experience ... especially when you look over and see the mangled up 4runner in the ditch. ... and that rain definitely added to my nervousness quite a bit. That Lion's Back is simply a magnificent sight.

But it's nice and wide and traction is really good (assuming it doesn't rain). The only problem is that you don't see anything other than sky when going up. So it really helps to have a good spotter down below with a cb. Otherwise, you have to keep getting out to check to see if you are on the right line. If you deviate a few feet, you could get in deep trouble. But if you stay on the right line, it's a piece of cake basically.

There is a V-notch towards the top that you have to straddle just right not to get too tippy. So it would help to get out of the truck and check.

Coming down is much eaiser since you see everything. At the bottom, I could see all the people through my sunroof at eye level!!!! It was pretty intense :)
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

seapahn wrote:heheheh ... it's really not as bad as it looks in the pics but it sure is a hair raising experience ... especially when you look over and see the mangled up 4runner in the ditch.

All I know is that it sure beats anything I ever went through 4 wheeling. I had a friend that had some property up in the Blue Ridge mountains. We used to think that was some serious 4 wheeling to get up into his property. Uh, that is until the local sheriff decided to come up there to see why we were there and what we were doing - driving his Crown Vic!
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Can you play dvds on the pop out LCD screens? How much are they? How much is it to put them in? Are they easy to use?
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I've got this flip out lcd

yeah you can play anything with rca outputs. it has video and audio cables...cost $1200 with a 6disc cd changer and once you get involved with mobile video, it gets expensive
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]