New mod for Corner Turn Signals

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

New mod for Corner Turn Signals

Post by Walt »

Hey everyone. I've blown the bulbs in both of my top corner turn signals (the really small ones next to the headlights, not below). Soooo, I'm thinking about replacing the regular flashing light with a bright white one that will come on continuously when I turn my blinker on.

Here is what I'm wanting to modify:

Has anyone seen this on Grand Marquis or Crown Victorias in the last few years? On my parent's Grand Marq, when you put on a blinker, there's another light on the outside of each blinker that comes to help you see when turning.

Here's a pic of the Grand Marquis:

Now, on to my questions. Does anyone know if putting a 27 or 55 watt bulb in that housing will cause discoloration issues? Or if the mod is worth doing at all?

Thanks!
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do what you can to keep the heat down. That reflector is pretty small.

Maybe some LED bulbs?

I'm not really sure how you will work out a steady connection from a flashing power source, but there is always a way.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I don't know this for sure, but somewhere, there has to be a constant wire/switch (maybe coming from the blinker switch), to then activate a flashing relay of some sort. Atleast I'm hoping that's the way it works. If not, I could always use some capacitors.

Good idea on the LED bulbs! If I can find some that are bright enough to work, that'll solve the problem of heat.
--Walt
rlith
Crew
Crew

Post by rlith »

I use LED ones in mine...

[size=75]See my ride at www.pghconsulting.net/teal[/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

i put a 55 watt h3 in once just for the heck of it, and yes, its too much heat if you ask me. unless you could GUARENTEE to not have your turn signal on for more than a minute...and at the same time, those side markers are like turn signal bulbs which are like 15 watts or less. 55 watts would be rediculous IMO
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Does anyone know how much light a bright LED bulb will put out? I've never used the ready made ones on my vehicle. I wonder if a white one would be bright enough for my application...?
--Walt