auto dim mirror install help

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

RA
Regular
Regular

auto dim mirror install help

Post by RA »

hey guys i need a little help on a auto dim mirror install. i was reading the thread on this and the info is great but the mirror i bought off ebay came off a 1999 s-10 blazer and there are 5 wires coming out of the pigtail. the colors are light green, black, brown, grey, & pink. the thread said to connect the green and black does anyone know what the other wires are for.
rlith
Crew
Crew

Post by rlith »

If you're looking at the back of the mirror. From left to right...

1- 12v+ accessory power
2- Ground
3- Reverse switch (uneeded unless you want to disable it while backing up. )
4- Dimmer (uneeded)
5- Dimmer (uneeded)
[size=75]See my ride at www.pghconsulting.net/teal[/size]
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

thanks for the info :D
S10CREW01
Crew
Crew

Post by S10CREW01 »

Looks like you got the info you needed thanks rlith
[size=75]<<~~o00o~~~~~~~~~~~~"°º©[b] S10CREW01 - Proud to serve US NAVY[/b]©º°"~~~~~~~~~~~~o00o~~>>
[b][u]MOD LIST:[/b][/u]
2001 S10 Crew Cab; 2" body lift; K&N drop in filter and the Airbox mod; Hot foot MOD; Autodim mirrior; Clear Bumper Lights; Westin Safari Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights; Westin Nerf Bars; Low Profile 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover; Quad Light MOD; Backup Lights * * *[/size]
IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by IBSonoma »

I'm interested in this also, is there another thread talking about this? Anyone know if a C5 Corvette mirror will work?

Thanks,
Frank
Arisa

Post by Arisa »

IBSonoma wrote:I'm interested in this also, is there another thread talking about this? Anyone know if a C5 Corvette mirror will work?

Thanks,
Frank
No clue if it will work but if you have a V1 I can do you up a sweet hidden display in the C5 mirror !
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hopefully I will get the '98 Bravada auto dim mirror working when I install the harness for the trip display.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Hmmm... I like this mod. I'll have to do some searching on Ebay.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

24digger wrote:...how do you get the mirror off of the mounting block, the one I picked up today was already broke of the glass. Looks like it snaps out but I don't want to break the bracket.
GM data wrote:# Insert a small, flat-bladed tool into the slot from the bottom.
# Press slightly in order to release the tab.
# Slide the mirror off of the support.
I didn't read that first. I did slide a small screw driver up from underneath to release the spring clip while pulling upward. Get a good grip on the mirror. Mine ended up in the back seat! I thought for sure I was going to hear the sound of the rear window shattering. I wasn't worried about the mirror, but thankfully it was not broken either.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by IBSonoma »

Does anyone have the link to the original thread on this ?

Thanks,
Frank
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This may be the thread that is being referred to - overhead console w/ trip computer

There is some auto dim wiring information there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Never had any luck getting the mirror off the right way I just wrapped a hammer in a towel and slid it up the windshield and hit the bottom of the mirror mount. mirror pops right off.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

For someone that is delicate enough to build PCs and install that nifty camera in your license plate I often worry about you, Brian :lol:

Snapping off wheel studs and now a hammer to remove the interior rear view mirror sends a mixed message. :wink: Not to mention your fascination with firearms :lol:

I think I wanna be on your team when, one is chosen :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Just a good mix of brute force and brains I guess. Besides the camera wasn't that hard to install. Just look at my stereo.
ImageImage
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

On the auto dim mirror topic, anyone got the harness for the mirror? I got a mirror from E-Bay for my last truck and did not get the wire harness with it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can get a harness from a Bravada. New is not really an option since it is rather expensive and incudes way more than you really want to buy.
All the information you need is in the other thread
HenryJ wrote:I did a little more research. You may have the Inside Rear View Mirror (w/Light Sensitive and Reading Lamps)
Here is the wiring for that:

1 - BRN - Fuse Output - Ignition 3 - Type III Fuse

2 - BLK - Ground

3 - LT GRN - Fuse Output - Backup Lamps - Type III Fuse

4 - GRA - Automatic Day/Night Mirror Signal - Outside

5 - PNK - Automatic Day/Night Mirror Return - Outside

6 - WHT - Courtesy Lamp Output

7 - ORN - Electronic Control Unit Output - 12 Volt
You only need the first three and the pin assignments for the C209 connector are in the other thread too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

The big problem around here is that most of the scrap yards have closed due to a combination of govt. regs and the high price of scrap metal. The biggest yards just ship most stuff up to Canada as scrap metal saves them from having to deal with keeping runoff from the vehicles contained.
If any one is doing a yard run I would be glad to pay a reasonable price for a harness. The mirror I have is the basic one 5-wire connector. I would really like to get this installed instead of having it sit on a work bench.