Dash radio opening size problems .... Any ideas?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

Dash radio opening size problems .... Any ideas?

Post by IBSonoma »

Well disaster has struck, after spending 2 hours installing the Kenwood sub, the head unit won't fit.
Short story, the Pioneer radio is 7 3/4" wide, the dash opening (not the trim) is 7 3/8 wide. Trimming the dash itself won't work because the speed nuts would be barely be held in, plus the trim would have to be trimmed and probably look crappy.

Crutchfield says the RDS radio is narrower than a standard DIN opening.
I was trying to install the Pioneer DIN & 1/2 radio, model # DEH-P47DH, which they originally said would fit after removing the rear support (which wasn't even an issue.)
Anyone have any ideas? Or have the width of their dash opening so I can compare.
I have an '04 Sonoma that has a factory 6 CD radio.

Thanks,
Frank
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

need some pics of what you have, and where the new radio isn't fitting - that might help.

I haven't heard of anyone having that problem - and GM didn't make a different dash just for the RDS radio.

Looking at the online pics of that headunit - it appears that the outermost edge of the display surround is the widest point, and extends beyond the physical chassis of the unit itself - if that is all that is keeping it from sliding in - then it's time to get out the dremel. As long as you don't trim inside the area that your dashboard trim piece will cover, then it should look ok - but without having it all in my carport looking at it - I can't say for sure.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Also - is it possible that you aren't getting the headunit far enough back into the radio pocket?

Most of the din and a half radios I installed in s-series required some cutting of the rear supports of the dash pocket.

Look at the back of your stock radio - usually there is a pin or shaft sticking out of the back of the unit - this went into a hole/support in the dash pocket to help stabilize the unit. compare it side by side to your Pioneer - if that pin would interfere with the area that your pioneer is trying to slide into - then you probably do need to trim.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by IBSonoma »

Thanks for the reply, no way to take photos at the moment as everything is put back together and the Pioneer is getting ready to be returned. I'll try and explain further.

After removing the dash trim and the stock radio, the Pioneer will not fit into the spot the stock radio was in because the dash opening is too narrow. The space for the stock radio is 7 3/8 wide, to trim that area would not work well, the left side of the opening is double wall and on both sides the speed nuts are held in by that plastic and the amount that would need to be removed would put the nuts on the very edge. The Pioneer is 7 3/4 wide, so it won't even make it through the stock opening.

The only issue Crutchfield mentioned before was that the rear support would have to be trimmed, in this case the Pioneer was much shorter the the stock radio so there would have been a couple inches before it even came close to touching it.

Also, the dash trim piece would have to be trimmed on both sides by at least 3/8 (or more) to have it fit over the Pioneer, which as I mentioned would look bad. Also there would be almost a 1/2 inch open on the top and bottom of the radio.

On my 2000 S10 I had to go through about 6 trim pieces to find the correct one to fit my stock radio after the original was damaged by thieves, so I know there must be several sizes of stock radio faces. I agree though that I can't see GM making the dash itself different for the RDS radio.
I need to get the size for a standard DIN opening and see how it compares.

Thanks again,
Frank