I Think I'm Ready

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I Think I'm Ready

Post by Cajun »

Being new to electrical modifications, I've read practically everything on the electrical mod. forum regarding adding fog lights, aux. back-up lights and general electrical modifications. I've completed the foot dragging phase, went shopping this weekend, am currently standing on the edge and I think that I am ready to jump into this project. Henry and Chris in the forum have been a lot of help. I thought that I'd outline my plans in hopes that you guys can keep me out of trouble.

I found the aux. stud on the fuse box under the hood and plan to use it to energize a new six circuit Buss Fuses ATC type fuse panel inside the cab that i will locate near the antenna grommet to neatly organize my accessories. From the new fuse panel I will run a lead to the round L.E.D. rocker switch (amber L.E.D.s to match the 4x4 switch L.E.D.s) that I will mount on the blank panel below the 4x4 switches and to the left of the radio. From there I will find a convenient ground for the switch and run the lead to the fog lights. Grounding for the lights will be to the frame. That should complete the fog light project. Aux. back-up lights will also draw power from the new fuse panel, tap into the stock back-up light lead under the hood with a relay switch and then run the lead to the aux. lights in the rear, ground to the frame. Lastly, a bed liner power outlet will again draw power from the new fuse panel and run straight to the outlet with ground to the frame. If all this goes well, I'll need Chris's help with a relay and switch to make the the back-up lights work with out the transmission shifted into reverse.

Let me know what you all think and thanks for the great source of information and willingness to share.

Craig
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks good but you just need a standard fog lamp relay mounted for your back up lamps to work like you want. You sound a little bit more organized than I am but, I placed the relay on the driver's rear frame and followed the thread on the topic and I am an electrical moron.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

just something to think about: on the rear lights...i wired mine through a rocker switch in the same panel on the dash that you have mentioned. i wired them seperate from the stock backup lights. this way i can turn on the rear lights whenever i need them, even with the ignition off. i really do not need them during daylight hours,,,and will come in handy at night for camping, or gutting my latest "harvest"(deer that is!!!)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Sounds like you got a good plan! Where do you plan on mounting your lights? and what type of lights do plan on going with? I'm running Hella FF75 on the front and back. They are a very good light for the price. I got both sets from ebay.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

55 watt halogens. I plan to cut slots with rounded corners in the back bumper between the frame and the license plate light and trim the slots with door edge trim or a piece of split vac. hose. I am in the process of making some mock-ups of the slots out of card board to be sure that I will be satisified before cutting into the bumper. If things go well with the back-up lights, then I may cut slots in the front bumper just above the recovery hooks.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I like your idea of where to mount them! I might just do the same thing. Mine are mounted below the front and rear bumpers. Let us know how they come out and post some pictures of the install!

These are the switches that I have in mine. The top switch is for the offroad lights, the middle switch is for the fog lights, and the bottom switch is for the rear lights.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Those switches look like the same ones that I found. What did you use to cut the holes in the plastic blank?

Will do on the photos!! Thanks for the support. Someone will have to show me how to upload photos.

Craig
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

If you're planning on using a fuse panel/box, I would keep it under the hood, in a place that's easy to get to. Then use relays wired to use a ground signal for turn on, and run the ground wires to the inside of the cab to the switches. This will eliminate having to run any hot wires through the firewall, reducing the chance of anything shorting out. Instead you'll be running wires that use a ground. This is the way my KC's, fog lights, and backup lights are wired. :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Ok, I'm a little slow, I don't understand how the relay fits into the circuit. Is a simple drawn diagram possible? I really want to do this right and appreicate your time and input.

Craig
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

The relay is just a high current switch. On a high current application, it keeps the switch from being burnt out by the load. Most relays have 4 posts, marked 30, 85,86,& 87. Post 30 is for power from the battery or fuse panel, post 87 is for power going to the accessory, Posts 85 & 86 can be used interchangeably. One is for power to switch the relay on and off, the other is for the ground. If you live where there is salt used on the roads of the winter, I advise against using what is known as a suitcase connector as these can corrode and fail fairly quickly. The best way to join wires is to solder and then to use a live rubber compound over the splice, then tape securly, or to use heat shrink tubing over the splice. this gives the best strength and conductivity. Heat shrink crimp connectors are a good way to go if you use crimping pliers that do not puncture the covering of the connector.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I would also suggest either soldering, heat shrink connectors, or silicon filled connectors.

Think of it like this: If you wired your backup lights straight into your stock backup lights, you'd probably melt a wire or blow a fuse eventually. You'd essentially have two sets of lights running off a wire intended to carry only one set. So the question is, how do you use the stock backup light wiring to make your new backup lights turn on safely. A relay :) rlrnr53 explained it fairly well. You can use something that can't handle alot of current, to control something that requires alot.

I'll post a diagram of relays in your application tomorrow when I'm back at work on a faster connection :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...