Speaker Sizes

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Speaker Sizes

Post by SONOMA915 »

Does anyone know what sixe the front and rear speakers are for our crews? Thanks.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Check here
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

border man wrote:Check here
Crutchfield doesn't have info on the Crew Cab's and even if you call they won't have it in their database. :(

Steve
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

killian96ss wrote:Crutchfield doesn't have info on the Crew Cab's and even if you call they won't have it in their database. :(
Steve
Wadda ya mean? :crazy: :crazy:
So who was it that I bought my front and rear door speakers from last year?

So who's site was it that I just checked for 2004 sonoma crewcab speaker fitment? :?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

border man wrote:
killian96ss wrote:Crutchfield doesn't have info on the Crew Cab's and even if you call they won't have it in their database. :(
Steve
Wadda ya mean? :crazy: :crazy:
So who was it that I bought my front and rear door speakers from last year?

So who's site was it that I just checked for 2004 sonoma crewcab speaker fitment? :?
Interesting, and I just figured out why yours was listed. If you search under the model year 2001 you don't get the Crew Cab option in under GMC or Chevrolet, but if you enter 2002 and later it gives you the option. :? I guess my 01 Crew doesn't exist. :lol: Mine must be special! :D

Steve
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

killian96ss wrote: I guess my 01 Crew doesn't exist. :lol: Mine must be special! :D

Steve
Mine doesn't exist either (2000 Sonoma crewcab) anywhere :shock: . Butn thanks to this site, I was able to find out that all crewcabs were virtually idnetical so I choose the year in which the crew showed. Besides, I was looking for SONOMA915, he has the 2004. :D
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Just incase anyone doesn't want to click the link :lol:

Dash: 4x6"
Front Door: 6.5" or 6-3/4"
Rear Door: same as front

My suggestion with the front is one of three things:
1) get a plate speaker (a 3" driver and tweater mounted at opposite ends of a 4x6" plate).
2) get a 4" component set and custom fab your own plate to mount them to.
3) get a 5-1/4" component set or coaxial and do a little trimming and deform the air vents to make them fit.

Just like the way subs really seem to pound in a hatch back car, the dash of our trucks provides a perfect spot to mount speakers so that they sound off the windshield. This is where the larger the speaker you can fit, the better :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
RidinhighS10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RidinhighS10 »

5 1/4" I replaced both sets, back and front with the Infinity Kappa in the fronts and Reference in the back...it was pretty sad, the chevy dealer didnt have a clue what sizes they were haha. I just had to drill new holes in the stock mounts because of the mounting holes in the new speakers.
[size=75](2)Kicker S8L7's...new chrome design, one more still needs to be installed, Audiobahn 1800W class Dmono amp, 6" superlift k776, 32x11.5 procomp Muds, American Racing Baja's[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I just purchased the Infinity Kappa 6.5" Components for the front and Infinity Kappa 6.5" three way for the rear doors.

Now it is time to decide upon an amp.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

kwalsh, I do have one more suggestion. You've taken care of your door speakers, but you're leaving out two of the more important ones. The dash speakers. They can provide excellent sound imaging. I would recommend upgrading them as well, to a good 5-1/4" coaxial or component set (some trimming may be required.) Also, Do you have an aftermarket head unit?

Let me know, I have an idea as to how your setup would work the best :)
--Walt
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

aftermarket head unit...yes, Alpine CDA-9855 with Sirius.
The powered bazooka 6.5" will go behind the rear seats .

I'm still working on the dash speakers....I'm open to some suggestions on those.

thanks Walt
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Alrighty....here's the plan :)

Here's my recommendation for a good 4 channel amp:
Alpine MRP-F450 - 75x4 @ 4 ohms. Excellent amp. Available at crutchfield and other online retailers. Very clean power.

As far as dash speakers go:
If you want a direct drop-in replacement, go with Infinity Kappa 462.7cfp 4x6 plates. Excellent speakers.

If you don't mind a little modding (trimming the opening, and deforming one of the air vent tubes), go with Boston Acoustics SX55 5-1/4" coaxials. Once again, excellent speakers. You'll get a bit more midbass out of these than you will the 4x6 plate.

Either way, you'll notice a huge improvement over the stock setup with either of these speakers.

As far as wiring goes:
Run the dash speakers off the front two channels of the amp, and run the front door speakers/components off the rear two channels of the amp. Then run the rear door speakers off the rear two channels of the Head Unit.

The reason for running the rear door speakers off the HU is because they're good for nothing but providing ambient sound. The shape of the door pretty well kills most of their audio output. Plus you'll want more power coming through the front to your better speakers. You'll also still have the ability to independantly adjust each set of speakers, and maintain proper resistance loads to the amp and head unit.
--Walt
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Thanks Guys!!
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

does the bazooka come with a seprate gain control?
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

yes, it has a gain control & crossover controls. I'm considering buying the remote for it.

I have the BTA 6200