OOPs!!!! CC not starting. PAST TENSE

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

OOPs!!!! CC not starting. PAST TENSE

Post by F9K9 »

Have a slight electrical problem and I may be screwed.

I ran three new wires near the bundle of wires between and below the brake booster and below the booster and the ABS.

Now, CC will start then die.

Things I have tried.......

Ground connection unhooked at battery for 1 hr

checked all fuses visually and with test meter

took the panel lose that OBDII is mounted on and checked the conections for it and the thing behind it (which, I unhooked)

My scanner powers up and no codes are read.

added fuel just in case

Other symptoms

now no underhood light

no dome light

no map lights,

I have headlights.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Last edited by F9K9 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check battery connections and fuses. Use an ohm meter to check the fuses if needed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Check battery connections and fuses. Use an ohm meter to check the fuses if needed.
f9k9 wrote:
Things I have tried.......

Ground connection unhooked at battery for 1 hr

checked all fuses visually and with test meter
It was an OHM meter, battery connections good.

Have exterior lights, OH console has display but no map lights, no interior lights. All dash "startup" lights are working.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just making sure you double checked the fuses and battery connections.

Swap the fuel pump relay?

Could you have inadvertently activaed the security system?

You haven't been pushing wires into that fuse box again? ;)

How is the battery? What about the fuel pump? Fuel pump cut off pressure sender?
Have you checked ther GM trouble shooting?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote: Swap the fuel pump relay?
No. I can hear the fuel pump
HenryJ wrote:Could you have inadvertently activaed the security system?
Not that I can see
HenryJ wrote:You haven't been pushing wires into that fuse box again? ;)
Nope
HenryJ wrote:How is the battery? What about the fuel pump? Fuel pump cut off pressure sender?
Everything was fine up until the wire install. I only pushed the wires today. They are hooked to "nothing", just neatly cable tied.

HenryJ wrote:Have you checked ther GM trouble shooting?
I have been trying to but, firefox claims I need an unknown plugin to blow the schematics up and IE won't take over as default browser so I can see them. It has to be electrically related to what I did today.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

In order to "short" something out, the battery would have to have been connected while you were running the wires. You did disconnect the battery before working on or with anything electrical, so that is not an option. Should you have inadvertently damaged something, it could have blown a fuse. That is why I had you check them twice. I have had people swear it was not blown before I found a blown fuse. That or they check the wrong fuse. Check them all one more time.

If you have nothing hooked up and double checked the battery. Don't dismiss coincidence. To assume makes ...well you know.
Use basic sleuthing. Retrace your footsteps. Recreate the crime scene. Look for clues.
To see a bigger image in Firefox, right click on the image and select view image. You do not want IE as your default browser.

So it starts , but dies. In the start position the fuel pump runs without oil pressure for 30 seconds. After that a different circuit takes over. this one has a oil pressure switch in the circuit. That way the fuel pump will run as long as there is fuel pressure. If there is not oil pressure it breaks the connection and shuts off the fuel. That is so if you get in a wreck the fuel pump does not continue to pump fuel on a fire.
That is why I want to to try swapping relays. They can go bad.

As with any problem look for loose connections anywhere they could have been knocked loose. Inspect wiring for damage, try undoing anything you have done leading up to the problem.

Remember it is much more likely to be something simple, don't make it into something complicated.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:In order to "short" something out, the battery would have to have been connected while you were running the wires. You did disconnect the battery before working on or with anything electrical, so that is not an option.
ummmm, ahhhhh, mmmmmm uhhhhhhhhImage

Going back out to recheck fuses with an ohm meter
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: It is possible if given 45 minutes to jab the heck out of the main wiring connector that you could have cut a wire I suppose. ;)

If you eliminate everything else perhaps you will neet to disassemble that connector to check things out?
Take loose the lower dash and make sure those loose wires are not an issue and that nothing was pinched upon reinstallation. Disconnect that module again and make sure none of the pins were bent and that the connection is fully seated. That goes for any connections that were messed with.

Only you know what you have done. No one else can easily retrace the steps.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

If the oil presure will kill the fuel pump could you have knocked the wire off the sending unit? Does your oil presure come up while cranking?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BADs Crew wrote:If the oil presure will kill the fuel pump could you have knocked the wire off the sending unit? Does your oil presure come up while cranking?
The gauge and cut-off are different senders. One is a sensor, the other is a switch.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Is the sending unit in question located on the side of the engine bay that he was working on? I wish I had a wiring diagram on the 2nd gen. I do have on on the 92. Do you think they would be the same?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

also....check all the connetions under the dash......you may have unplugger something when you were" labbing"!!!!!!

good luck. call me sunday if you need any help!!??!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think they are on the top LH side of the engine.

What else did you do? Any chance that handful of rags to keep the dirt out of the intake is still in there when you put things back together? Or what about the MAF, did it get put in backward? Perhaps your "chi" was out of balance and needs realignment?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

okay, okay.......I was just checking to see how good you guys were :wink:

Bottom line is I had to missed a 10 amp fuse in the underhood power ""thingy" that was for "TBC". I also discovered late in the game that the freakin' things can be checked with out pulling them.

I have definitely learned a lesson about disonnecting the battery. Image

I appreciate your efforts and time to correct errors made by my stupidity.

Thanks to you guys!Image
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

HenryJ wrote:I think they are on the top LH side of the engine.

What else did you do? Any chance that handful of rags to keep the dirt out of the intake is still in there when you put things back together? Or what about the MAF, did it get put in backward? Perhaps your "chi" was out of balance and needs realignment?

i have found that cold beer works well to realign one's "chi"!!!!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I think they are on the top LH side of the engine.

Hmmmmm, remove the intake? That may be why it was so hard from the engine side of the firewall :lol:

I didn't touch the intake :x

Not enough time has elapsed for me to touch that POS again :lol:
Last edited by F9K9 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Stupid fuzes :lol:
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

so......does your truck start now???
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:

i have found that cold beer works well to realign one's "chi"!!!!!!
I was gonna start chugging them if the "FUZE" check came up "zero" again. It was getting hard to see with the sun setting.

Finding that blown "fuze" was better than ChristmasImage
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:so......does your truck start now???
Would I be here eating humble pie if, it didn't :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... I had to missed a 10 amp fuse in the underhood power ""thingy" that was for "TBC"....Thanks to you guys!...
You deserve a cold one :cheers: You did all the work! Congrats on another successful save :thumb: Your skills and confidence are improving. And they say old dogs can't learn new tricks...baahh! :lol: :mg:

Seriously though, this type of thing happens all the time. Bringing up the topic will be of benefit to future members. A blown fuse is pretty easy to miss. It seems to be human nature to assume the worst and make things way too complicated. I tend to do that regularly. The simplest thing is usually the best answer.

Thank you for posting this tale of trouble. The next guy will know why we disconnect the battery before working with or near electrical wiring :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just wish I had a rig where I needed to change the point's and condenser. I still have a good Craftsman timing light in the hard plastic case if, anyone has need for one :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It was my fault and when things seem to go right, I check, on my pet ducks :lol:

I thought that all that battery unhooking BS was like the warnings to not use hair dryers in the bath tub. In this case, it was not liability related but, relevant.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I still have my old points file. I use it now when I re-key locks to level off the bottom pins. I remember when a 50 cent condenser could screw up a Saturday night date.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote: I remember when a 50 cent condenser could screw up a Saturday night date.
Amen, Bro
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well. I continued the LS1 e-fan project today :roll: Got the override ON and OFF switches wired and all the interior wiring completed to the Variable Speed Control Unitafter I mounted it. I wanted to complete the wiring but, it went from 55 degrees to sleet and I had to stop. The good news is that when I reconnected the battery ground cable it started.Image
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

way to go, reed!!!! :rock:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks, TOP, it's been a "trying" weekend :lol:

Last week was those pesky cavalier rotors and this weekend I needed to call out for help again. It has been a learning experience Image
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:Well. I continued the LS1 e-fan project today.....

You mean you haven't put the flares on yet? :yikes:

Just Kidding Reed..... you know I have to give ya a hard time. BTW, still haven't checked my ATF yet :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

wamason wrote: You mean you haven't put the flares on yet? :yikes:
:lol: No, I need to do stuff that I can do a little bit at a time right now. :oops:

I've learned that what time it takes most people to do a mod takes me 400 % longer.

The flares are gonna probably a 3 part job for me. ! day to remove the old ones then a day for the fronts and one for the rears :lol: As directionless as I am, I might start on the flares before finishing the e-fan.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...