Funny story about my KC Daylighters

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Funny story about my KC Daylighters

Post by Walt »

Ok, so (I don't know why I started the sentence off that way) the other day, I noticed that one of my daylighters was kinda looking up at the sky, so I re-adjusted. In the process of re-adjusting, the light fell off the mount, and yanked the wire out as well. Ruined a good bulb in the process. Needless to say, I felt like treating it as a soccer ball, but went against my feelings. On the bottom of the light housing, where the bolt head normally goes, the metal has been bent and stretched.

I called KC to see if they warranteed this (my fault but I tried anyway). Short answer was "no". The woman said that she could sell me a new single daylighters, or a new single 60 series light. I asked what the difference was, as the price was almost $30 lower for the 60 series. She said that the 60 series doesn't include the anti-shock mount. I guess it's a good thing we were talking face to face, because I was giving her a "look at the three-eyed alien!" look over the phone. I said "so the lights are identical, but it's $30 extra for the two little pieces of rubber?" She said "the shock mounting system is essential if you do any type of offroading." The conversation didn't last long after that. I didn't get a new light.

Then I had another :idea: . I went by autozone, and bought one of those offbrand 6" lights (chrome was all they had) for $10. Then I drilled the rivets out of the cup that holds the head of the bolt used for mounted, did the same to the KC light, and attached the chrome cup to the black daylighter housing with some short machine screws and keep nuts. Problem solved for $10! Oh, and the $10 light even came with the "revolutionary" anti-shock mounting system. :lol:

Long story short, for any of you that have offroad lights, when you adjust them, loosen the mounting nut, don't try to force the light, otherwise you'll wind up with the same problem. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Funny story about my KC Daylighters

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:Ok, so (I don't know why I started the sentence off that way) the other day, I noticed that one of my daylighters was kinda looking up at the sky, so I re-adjusted. In the process of re-adjusting, the light fell off the mount, and yanked the wire out as well. Ruined a good bulb in the process............
If the filament was all that broke, they would have replaced it if, you just shipped it back to them.

You can get it locally too. They use Wagner 13V PN/4049. 150W spotlight bulbs. Can be had under $10 :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

you know......those "cheap lights" are good for something!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Already have a spare bulb...so I'm gonna put it in. But I'll probably look for those Wagner bulbs now since I like to keep a spare on hand. :)

BTW, if anyone is looking, Desertrat.com has black and chrome 150 watt daylighter pairs for under $80. :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:Already have a spare bulb...so I'm gonna put it in. But I'll probably look for those Wagner bulbs now since I like to keep a spare on hand. :)

BTW, if anyone is looking, Desertrat.com has black and chrome 150 watt daylighter pairs for under $80. :)
Just have the auto part store order a couple.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Which one? Can autozone get them?
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:Which one? Can autozone get them?
Don't know. There wasn't any chain stores when I ran the wagners as high beams. Pray tell that all is not lost from yesteryear!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
Walt wrote:Which one? Can autozone get them?
Don't know. There wasn't any chain stores when I ran the wagners as high beams. Pray tell that all is not lost from yesteryear!
:lol: :lol:

I'll try A-zone, then Napa. O'Reilly's should open within a month, so I can try there then.
--Walt