12 volt air compressor connections

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm still trying to decide whether to hook the compressor to the winch connector up front, or to do something different. I've been thinking about wiring up a separate connector under the driver and passenger sides of the cab. That way the amound of wire attached to the compressor could be shortened, then make an extension cable incase It needs to reach longer. Still undecided on what type of connectors to use. I want a plug type, as I want to be able to plug one into the other, and not have to hook up two separate connectors. A Trailer light hardness might work, but I'm uncertain if will handle the current. I may try to get my hands on a 2-wire trailer connector and see if it'll work. Any suggestions?

EDIT: After looking for a few seconds, I came across something I like. :)

Not very expensive, but durable.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Standard ignition makes high amp connectors. Many of the tow shops use them for jumper cables on their tow trucks. They just pop in and the big ones can handles something like 80 amps, but they did come in smaller and cheaper versions.

Ok, I guess they are the same as the Warn quick connects, so probably the same as what HJ was talking about.

These:
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/jumper.html

I know we had them when I worked at CarQuest. They wern't CHEAP by any means, but they wern't expensive either. I don't remember exactly how much but I want to say ~$7 per single connector, that could be WAY off though.

Holy crap, I just followed a link posted in the page I just linked and Painless makes a quick connect jumper cable kit for $199...................... OMG. I could put that system together for less then $40.

Sorry, just had to share that.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The Warn connectors, and other multi-colored knockoffs I've seen had always stayed in the $20-30 range per pair, which is more than I can to spend for this particular mod. I'll bring the compressor to work with me tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
--Walt
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

NAPA has three different sizes in their Echlin line. may be a little larger than you want, but it is another alternative.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Personally I'd leave the clamps on the compressor as they are. That way it can be used on other vehicles.

If you already have connections at the front for a winch just attach the clips to that for power. That is what I do.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I was thinking about making an adapter for the clamps too :lol:

I'll have to try it out some and see how things go. :)
--Walt