Taurus Electric Fan Project......

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Taurus Electric Fan Project......

Post by 2kwik4u »

Well I've decided I'm not going to wait for the factory warranty to run out before I put a fan on the truck. I'll be heading to the junkyard Sunday to find me a nice Taurus fan, and I've ordered my relays from partsexpress.com.

Initial wiring thoughts are to have low come on with an adjustable thermostat, and then high will have a swith on the dash for when it's needed. This might get ammended to having high come on when the A/C is on, I'm not sure just yet. Depends on how things work out. Everything goes off with the key. I can't stand to hear a fan running once I have the engine off.

I'll also be installing a larger gauge wire (probably 2ga) from the alternator to the battery post. This helped tremendously on my roomates '02 4.3, so I'm hoping it does well on the crew also. The theory is that the smaller stock wire gets hot with the high under hood temps, and adds some resistance to the circuit, the larger wire helps reduce this added resistance when it gets hot, from the added capacity while cool.

I'm going to try and have the girlfriend, or my roomate take pictures throughout the process so I can document it.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It will be interesting to see how well it works. Most of the Taurus fan installs have been by those living in the north or coastal states. I really want to see it perform with the AC on in 100+ degree stop-n-go traffic or crawling in 4 lo !

We will be watching :mg:

BTW. I tried adding a 2 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery. It did not help. The stock 6 gauge seems to do a pretty good job.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i bet the taurus fan will work.

if you wire it up with it sitting on the work bench, it will take and fly on its own :o
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

a2b wrote:i bet the taurus fan will work.

if you wire it up with it sitting on the work bench, it will take and fly on its own :o
Yea I stuck my thumb in the first one I ever tested trying to keep it from "flying" off the bench :( 6- stiches later I learned to be cautios with quick reflexes :(
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

you may find that they flow enough air on low speed, to satify A/C use as well.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

crew cab sonoma wrote:you may find that they flow enough air on low speed, to satify A/C use as well.
In ohter trucks it's all but the hottest of days that low will work......Hence why I might just put High on a switch in the cab for when it really needs it.

Ultimately I'd like to find the trigger for the fans from the PCM, and edit the PCM to turn them on and off :D :D
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Taurus Electric Fan Project......

Post by gocntry »

2kwik4u wrote:Well I've decided I'm not going to wait for the factory warranty to run out before I put a fan on the truck. I'll be heading to the junkyard Sunday to find me a nice Taurus fan, and I've ordered my relays from partsexpress.com.
Here's A Write Up On A Taurus Fan Install, This Is Not By Me But Came From www.s-seriesforum.com.

Maybe This Will Help Or Maybe You Can Improve On It.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Yep, I practicaly live at S-Seriesfourm.com :D :D

Jeff did that write up years ago. Still great info though!

I was putting one in my Xtreme about the same time that he was doing that write up. I had similar results with the exception of having a ton of fan to motor clearance because of the shorter 2.2