Head Units w/ XM - Recommendations

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Head Units w/ XM - Recommendations

Post by top_sgt »

Split the appropriate posts from the other topic and moved them to Electrical Modifications. -W

pioneer and alpine make nice replacements!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

top_sgt wrote:pioneer and alpine make nice replacements!!!!
Yes yes! I second the Alpine nomination as that is my favorite brand HU. :)
Last edited by Walt on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

loki wrote:Hey hey!!

Speaking of radios, can anyone pass along the phone numbers and dealer numbers for unlocking the radio?

I bought my truck used, and it didn't come with the unlock codes. I found it once on the net for my xtreme, but now I can't seem to find it. I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the codes handy.
What better reason to go aftermarket? :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Okay Walt, recommend a head unit WITH XM radio, CD changer capable w/remote. Since you are already off topicImage

You are fair gameImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:Okay Walt, recommend a head unit WITH XM radio, CD changer capable w/remote. Since you are already off topicImage

You are fair gameImage

Alpine CDA-9820XM
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Will definitely look into that one deeper :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I know this just complicates things, but if it were me, I could go with the unit below and add a tuner.

Alpine CDA-9856

Then again, I have separate amps and such, and this head unit has a few more features related to that. But, if you're not going to use the extra features, there's no reason to get it. :)

EDIT: Oh yea, forgot, you can add an Alpine XM or Sirius tuner to this one, so you have a choice. Adding the appropriate tuner lets you control XM or sirius tuning as if it were already built into the head unit.
Last edited by Walt on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Walt
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Walt wrote:I know this just complicates things, but if it were me, I could go with the unit below and add a tuner.

Alpine CDA-9856

Then again, I have separate amps and such, and this head unit has a few more features related to that. But, if you're not going to use the extra features, there's no reason to get it. :)

EDIT: Oh yea, forgot, you can add an Alpine XM or Sirius tuner to this one, so you have a choice.

:thumb: Nice Choice..... I Just Installed The CDE-9852 In My Truck Saturday.. It's The Same Unit Without The Cd Controller & The XM Controller....I Figured With Being Able To Hook Up An Ipod & Mp3-Wma Compatibility I Don't Need The Changer Controls Or XM.
I Ordered It From Crutchfield Months Ago And Got The Head Unit The Wiring Harness Adapter - The Dash Bezel & Antenae Adapter As A Kit. It Was Installed Within About 1 1/2 Hours. :D
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

gocntry wrote: :thumb: Nice Choice..... I Just Installed The CDE-9852 In My Truck Saturday.. It's The Same Unit Without The Cd Controller & The XM Controller....I Figured With Being Able To Hook Up An Ipod & Mp3-Wma Compatibility I Don't Need The Changer Controls Or XM.
I Ordered It From Crutchfield Months Ago And Got The Head Unit The Wiring Harness Adapter - The Dash Bezel & Antenae Adapter As A Kit. It Was Installed Within About 1 1/2 Hours. :D
Did the wire colors match up with the provided adapter? The install mentions cutting the rear oem plactic bracket off, did you have any trouble with that?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
gocntry wrote: :thumb: Nice Choice..... I Just Installed The CDE-9852 In My Truck Saturday.. It's The Same Unit Without The Cd Controller & The XM Controller....I Figured With Being Able To Hook Up An Ipod & Mp3-Wma Compatibility I Don't Need The Changer Controls Or XM.
Did the wire colors match up with the provided adapter? The install mentions cutting the rear oem plactic bracket off, did you have any trouble with that?
I didn't when I installed mine, which is a 9833--very similar. It may be different to later models as I have a 2001.
--Walt
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

f9k9 wrote:
Yep Wire Colors Matched Up...But Just To Help The Head Unit Had The Wire Color Chart Right On It And Crutchfield Sent An Info Page With The Wire Color Chart Of The Adapter.

No I Didn't Cut Off The Bracket It Fit Just Fine without It.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

if you're still confused....go to crutchfield's web site and look and drool......then take your pick!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

gocntry wrote:Yep Wire Colors Matched Up...But Just To Help The Head Unit Had The Wire Color Chart Right On It And Crutchfield Sent An Info Page With The Wire Color Chart Of The Adapter.

No I Didn't Cut Off The Bracket It Fit Just Fine without It.
Thanks!
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

did not have to cut the bracket off for the installation of my pioneer!!!
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Is it just me or are most HU's ugly?

I'm sure you guys will say it's just me :lol:

But seriously, I don't think I have seen an aftermarket HU that I like. They just never seem to blend with the truck, plus mot of them are single din and IMO look odd in the double din (or is it 1.5) slot on GM vehicles.

On another note though, does anybody know of a HU that supports bluetooth?
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

All the ricers love them.
Anybody with an 03-04 with the double din opening replaced there head unit with an aftermarket double din unit? Crutchfields isn't much help for my truck nothing is listed to fit.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Snoman002 wrote:Is it just me or are most HU's ugly?

But seriously, I don't think I have seen an aftermarket HU that I like. They just never seem to blend with the truck, plus mot of them are single din and IMO look odd in the double din (or is it 1.5) slot on GM vehicles.

I agree. If Alpine made one that matched my truck better, I'd probably get it.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:

I agree. If Alpine made one that matched my truck better, I'd probably get it.
Oh no, It's the FASHION POLICEImage

I better paint my Hi-Lift and shovel black or factory yellow. :wink:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:I better paint my Hi-Lift and shovel black or factory yellow. :wink:
Now that would look slick. :thumb:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Bluetooth
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

f9k9 wrote:

Bluetooth
WOW, nice HU, although I almost choked on my Coco wheats when I saw the price.

Does not look to bad either.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Snoman002 wrote:
f9k9 wrote:

Bluetooth

I thought it was steep! Time + electronics = unbelieveable lower prices within 1 year :lol:

I bought my PC in '02 and a DVD/CD RW drive was over $400 so, I declined. I just bought 2 for $39 each. When I ordered my PC, a 19" flat screen was close to $500. I bought one at the same time I bought the DVD-RW drive for $179. Tonite I saw it at $149 from the same place. Tigerdirect.com for $149

BTW.....can someone explain "DIN" to me?
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

f9k9 wrote:
Snoman002 wrote:
f9k9 wrote: Bluetooth

I thought it was steep! Time + electronics = unbelieveable lower prices within 1 year :lol:

I bought my PC in '02 and a DVD/CD RW drive was over $400 so, I declined. I just bought 2 for $39 each. When I ordered my PC, a 19" flat screen was close to $500. I bought one at the same time I bought the DVD-RW drive for $179. Tonite I saw it at $149 from the same place. Tigerdirect.com for $149

BTW.....can someone explain "DIN" to me?
I hear you on the time+electronics=low price. But with me that means I can buy that HU off e-bay used in about, ohh, four years :lol: .

I remember my parents first conputer, $3000 for an apple IIe with ribbon paper printer.

The next one was a Compaq with a 166 and 4mb ram, that thing ran $2000 (and for dang sure it wasn't top of the line at that time).

Now you can get a Dell for less than $400.

BTW
DIN
Acronym for Deutsche Industrie Norm (Deutsches Institut fuer Normung), the German standardization body. A world reference standard for the mounting parameters of many common receivers ( Head ends) as well as other types of cables and equipment. Single DIN is the standard face size for receivers, and measures 7-3/8"wide by 2-1/4" high. DIN+1/2 measures 7-3/8"wide by 3-3/8"high. Double DIN measures 7-3/8"wide by 4-1/2" high.
Had to look it up myself.

Definition stolen from www.electronixwarehouse.com
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I'm look'n now myself for a new radio system. I'm thinking to go with Cyrus, cause the wife got XM, we wanna have different systems to see what's better. I also want to maybe go with some kinda amp and some rear speakers, guess I'm gonna have to start some research. 2 of my six stock speakers are blown, so good reason to start now.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

quickbiker wrote:I'm look'n now myself for a new radio system. I'm thinking to go with Cyrus, cause the wife got XM, we wanna have different systems to see what's better. I also want to maybe go with some kinda amp and some rear speakers, guess I'm gonna have to start some research. 2 of my six stock speakers are blown, so good reason to start now.
Get a good head unit, a 4 channel amp, and 6 new speakers. :) Run the front four speakers off the amp, and the 2 rear speakers off the rear channel of the head unit.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm trying to comprehend but. I am a tad slow :lol: It is beginning to sink in :wink:

Thanks!
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

f9k9 wrote:BTW.....can someone explain "DIN" to me?
I Don't Know All The Technical Jargon For "DIN". But "DIN" Is The Size Of The Radio Opening.

Our Stock Headunits Are Considered 1 1/2 Size Din. The Aftermarket Units Discussed In this Thread Are Considered Single DIN. Some Factory Radio's Are Double DIN (bigger than our stock stereo's).

Ok.. Here's The Technical Jargon For "DIN"

"The great majority of vehicles have a 2" tall (or "DIN-size") stereo; some Chrysler and GM stereos are 3" tall (DIN-and-a-half), and some Japanese vehicles have 4" tall stereos (double-DIN). Many vendors make 3" and 4" tall aftermarket stereos, or you can purchase mounting kits that allow you to mount a standard (DIN-size) stereo in these larger dash openings."

[/quote]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Got it! Finally :)
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If I am correct on the model years, 1.5 din size radios from 2000-2002 in our trucks. 2 din for 2003-04, but know one seems to show an aftermarket double din to fit our trucks.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

04crewvt wrote:If I am correct on the model years, 1.5 din size radios from 2000-2002 in our trucks. 2 din for 2003-04, but know one seems to show an aftermarket double din to fit our trucks.
Mine Is A 2003 And It Is Only A 1.5 Din I THINK.....See Post Below
Last edited by gocntry on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mine was built in May, 2002. What DIN is mine?

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Ok... Now I Have Confused My Self......I Thought Our Stereo's Were 1 1/2 Din But According To The Sizing Of The Din Openings I Got Off The Crutchfield Sight 4" Is A Double Din Opening? So Which Do We Have??

Here Is A Link To A 4" Tall Double Din Stereo Double Din 4" Stereo

Here Are Pics Of My Install & A Tape Measure Showing We Have A 4" Opening...... If You Count The Whole Opening - Or Do You Just Count The Space From The Top Of The Stereo To The Bottom Of The Filler Plate??

:shrug: :bonk: :shrug:

Image[/url]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

2003 zr-5 is a double DIN opening 4 inches. Reeds 2002 could be either 1.5 or 2 the change occured mid-year if the dash opening is 4 inches it's double DIN if it's less than that it's the 1.5 Din. I beleive one way to tell is if you have the cd/cassette deck in the dash it is a 2 DIN if your cassette deck is on the floor it's a 1.5 DIN
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Photo of difference between 1.5 and 2 DIN dash taken from s10 forum Image
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I wish I just kept wondering to myself.Image

BTW.......I am now gonna donate to the FOFP
Fraternal Order of the Fashion Police
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

04crewvt wrote:2003 zr-5 is a double DIN opening 4 inches. Reeds 2002 could be either 1.5 or 2 the change occured mid-year if the dash opening is 4 inches it's double DIN if it's less than that it's the 1.5 Din. I beleive one way to tell is if you have the cd/cassette deck in the dash it is a 2 DIN if your cassette deck is on the floor it's a 1.5 DIN

Thanks For The Pic 04CrewVt........

I Stand Corrected.........My Stock Deck Was The Cd/Cassette And The Opening Is The 4" As Seen Above So I Had The Double Din... :thumb:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Glad to help. I knew I had seen that photo before but it took me some time to find it again.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I couldn't sleep until I found out my OFFICIAL DIN STATUS :!:

I went out and measured my opening and it is 4" :wink:

Hello, my name is Reed. I have been a double DIN owner for two years.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I just installed a system. I got tired of 2 blown speakers and crackle pop. Got it all at Crutchfield. Last time I installed a system for my own vehicle was 20 years ago from the same place. Took me 12 hours for the whole system, but I like to solder everything, no crimpies. I had to fix a bad vibration problem on the driver's door. Can see in one pic I used 2 long screws. Totally fixed the problem. I guess my water jug is too big for that hole. Never noticed any vibration before cause that was one of the blown speakers. :? Also, I just cut the top tweeter wires, one of them was blown also.

I got an Alpine, seems everyone raves about em and I am very happy with the whole system. I can hear it perfectly and then some even with all the windows down and the tires hum'n! :D I really am impressed with the little Kenwood subwoofer, nice tight bass. What was really a pleasant suprise, was that it has a 180hz phase out on it, which is what resonates in a vehicle, makes a much more pleasant sound. What was strange is when I asked the salesman at Crutchfield for a sub that did that, he had no idea what I was talking about. Even 20 years ago, my system had that. I'm a happy Rocker! :P
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]