Muddy cameras, CB radio and stuff

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Muddy cameras, CB radio and stuff

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:I know the truth, you just want to see my truck covered in mud.Image
Better get a license plate cover for that camera :lol:

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

How about a really small wiper blade.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:How about a really small wiper blade.
It's doable and if, anyone can do it............you can :wink: This will probably be split by the TOPIC POLICE but, is a camera and a laptop doable versus a seperate monitor?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

What you would need would be something like this.Video Capture Card
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...This will probably be split by the TOPIC POLICE ...
Again, you did not leave a clean split.
Might be a good idea to start a thread if you want the information since the classifieds are deleted once the deal is completed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Hack it off at the muddy truck and be done with it.Image

Split as requested -HJ
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Thank you o wise one. We will try to be good.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Thank you o wise one. We will try to be good.

"WE"? Have you got a mouse in your pocket, Brian?

Brule already knows I am a drugged crazed, 60's leftover and a senile flower child :lol:

We do need to conserve space and deleting classifieds, when finished and watching the use of quotes, is a couple of ways to do it.

Seriously if, the Swedes and Germans can do the small wipers for the lamps, I see it as a doable option but, on the bottom of my list of mods :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The reflector / wiper assembly from a Rover , Mercedes or Volvo might be adapted.
What about the tear offs , or rolling visors used on racing vehicle camera applications?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:The reflector / wiper assembly from a Rover , Mercedes or Volvo might be adapted.
What about the tear offs , or rolling visors used on racing vehicle camera applications?

I'd stay away from the Rovers if, Lucas electrical components are involved. For a proud nation as Britian is, to produce components that fail as much as Lucas does in high humidity climates, I'd be ashamed jmo.

I may be showing my age but, the Jags, MGs, RRs. and the Austins I have been around have totally sucked when there was a cloud overhead
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Silly thing is I started looking for a wiper blade from a model car combined with a micro mini pulse motor it could work. Not that I have this as anything than an exercise in creative thinking, it's way low a priority. My next mod is already on order. Ordered a CB radio that is an all in one handset that can be used as a mobile and be hooked up to external antenna and ordered a combination CB AM/FM antenna to replace the factory stock antenna. All that will be seen is the handset.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Now, I AM scared!
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Guess it"s a good thing I use my powers for good instead of evil.Image
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Where are you going to mount the CB's main unit?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I will have to see when it comes in where it will fit best and be out of the way as well as easily in reach. I am hoping for either to the right of radio, or on the side of the console. This is the unit I am getting.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Is that a photo the entire unit? Doesn't look to be the case with that connector right of the power plug. Where did you find the antenna? If. I don't get a trail rig I am gonna need a CB with that crew I rode with. I had to keep reminding them to keep a rig, that had a radio, behind me in case I didn't make it through a particular obstacle.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Thats the whole thing it comes with a battery pack and rubber ducky antenna to make it a mobile unit or the adapter you see goes in instead of the battery pack which allows it to hook up to 12v power source and external antenna. I got the external antenna seperatly. I picked them both up through JC Whitney's

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do you guys still use the CB radios much?
I have thought about removing mine. I can't remember the last time I plugged the mic in , or turned it on.

I do use the FRS radios for car-to-car communications on the trail. I carry the FRS mobile unit and two handhelds, as loaners or for hiking. For long range the 2m ham radio beats the heck out of a CB.
Some ham radios can receive a wide range of frequencies. I can scan the CB frequencies, if I have the need.

Around here the CB stuff has really declined. FRS is getting a little "busy" , but not too bad.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well , we will see how much use it is. I have a FRS radio set as well but they are the older ones without privacy codes. GMRS/FRS and HAM might be better but I do not want to spend the money on licences and tests right now and FRS/CB are free to use. Around here you get a lot of, where are you, where are you on the FRS radios. Seems like everyone has them the chatter is pretty high CB might be back to where it was before they became popular and everyone thought they were Smokey and the Bandit.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I will admit that the ham hardware can get expensive, but the testing was very inexpensive.
$10 to test plus the cost of a book. A little looking and you might find a book to borrow. Mine is outdated information now, or I'd offer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Isn't there a licencing fee also? I see that offically the GMRS radios are $80 every 3 years to be legal.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is no business or profit allowed in amateur radio.

The license fee is $10 every 10 years. It may have been raised to $12? Or that may be pending legislation?

I am good until 2015 either way :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

That's a lot more reasonable than the GMRS fees, and I heard somewhere that the morse code requirement has been dropped for the basic test.
Great ,something else to spend $ on.
THANKS A LOT BRULE !!!ImageImage
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Technician license does not require morse code.
There are some proposed changes to eliminate code from all classes. Right now it looks like that is quite a while down the road, if it happens.

There are a couple good threads on the subject on the forum here somewhere.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ARRL wrote:The ARRL VEC Test Fee
for 2006 is $14.00

This fee is charged once, no matter whether taking any one, two, three or all four test elements, one time.

Retests of an element failed at the same test session will require payment of an additional test fee.
ARRL wrote:Technician class

#1 for Beginners!

The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual. All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator.
1st edition © 2006.

#9639--$24.95
Looks like you would be in it $39
ARRL wrote:ARRL Processing Fee Schedule
For ARRL Members:
Non-Vanity License Renewal or Change No charge
Vanity License Change (address, name) No charge
Vanity License Renewal $5 ARRL VEC processing fee plus the vanity call sign fee in effect at the time the FCC receives the application.
For Nonmembers:
Non-Vanity License Renewal or Change $14 ARRL VEC processing fee
Vanity License Change (address, name) $14 ARRL VEC processing fee
Vanity License Renewal $14 ARRL VEC processing fee plus the vanity call sign fee in effect at the time the FCC receives the application.
For Club Stations:
Non-Vanity License Renewal or Change No charge
Vanity License Change (address, name) No charge
Vanity License Renewal Vanity call sign fee in effect at the time the FCC receives the application.
Please Note: ARRL cannot process requests for New Vanity call signs.
They must be done directly with FCC
Looks like it will be $14 to renew.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I think we may need to change the threads title againI think we may need to change the threads title againImage
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Have just been exploring e-ham.net lots of info there. Not sure if I will get into it anytime soon but who knows. My only real use will be if I move a little further north in VT there is a local Community Emergency Response Team a freind of mine is in that uses the ham as there primary communication method for disaster response.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

So the front camera was great on the trail until I hit the first water crossing and promptly got it covered in mud. It was cleaned off each time we stopped but I think I have an idea. I am thinking of hooking a washer nozzle up to spray on the front camera with a separate pump from the washer reservoir that way I cam spritz the lens when it is dirty. The next thing would be to hook the camera input into a video camera with a splitter so I can record as I drive for true live action video.