GM Navigation Mods????

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

GM Navigation Mods????

Post by purduecrew »

Ok so the full sizes, you can get a navigation screen with a navigation cd and all... my question is, alot of you run like GPS units in your trucks, so can you get some sort of aftermarket NAV cd to put into the factory navigation and have better tracking capabilities??? if that doesnt make sense, feel free to interpret.
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The cheapest way to go is if, you already have a laptop. You can turn it into a navigation unit and save the CD or DVD's contents to your hard drive. The Software and GPS receiver can be had new for around $100 or you can check out used units on Ebay. I recommend Delorme Street Atlas but, I am a little biased since I am a Beta software tester for them and get the final versions free. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

From what I hear the factory navigation systems are way overpriced and the function is fair at best.
Go aftermarket.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

so can you put this into the gm navigation unit???

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibe ... item=24726

it said it will play on a cd-rom, which i do believe is how the factory units operate...
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
20Blazer00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by 20Blazer00 »

purduecrew wrote:so can you put this into the gm navigation unit???

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibe ... item=24726

it said it will play on a cd-rom, which i do believe is how the factory units operate...
Car CD player not the same as computer CD player. The CD player in your automobile is limited to playing strictly audio formatted CD's. Some of the newer decks will play MP3 formatted burned discs but they will not play video DVD or VCD unless you opted for the higher end units for family entertainment. But even those will not play the Delorme DVD Navigation software (to my current knowledge) unless they've put personal computer chips and storage in the cars. (It can be done aftermarket for lots of money) But you will not find that on the options list... for the factory navigation systems. Upgrades would have to come from the factory and be installed by the dealer???? Now if the major American automakers have made a deal with Delorme to pre-load the software into their navigation systems then that would be a better solution but i am afraid that Delorme has been top of the line mapping software for too long to lower itself behind your dash.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

purduecrew wrote:so can you put this into the gm navigation unit???...
Uhmmm, that is a DVD-ROM and ,
DeLorme wrote:...# Load both Software Programs on a Laptop PC
# » See Your GPS Position on Lifelike 3-D Maps using Topo USA...

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK