fuse blown on head unit

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

luvinfishin

fuse blown on head unit

Post by luvinfishin »

I have a pioneer head unit with a sirius satellite receiver. Everything was working fine for about a month then all of a sudden the fuse on the back of the head unit blows. I have checked the wires briefly but I am not sure what to look for. For more of an idea, the sirius receiver was installed to go behind my head unit and plugs directly to my head unit. When i replace the fuse and try everything again, there is a static sound from some of the speakers and then the fuse blows. I want to try to see if it is a wiring problem but it could be the head unit itself. Any ideas...thank you
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

When I had a system in past vehicles, the buzzing noise would be from placing the RCA cables directly next to the power and ground cables. :roll: However, with you blowing the fuzes, I would check all the connections. Did you do the install? Did you use the crimp connectors or sawder, (sp?), the wire connections? It sounds like something worked loose with the connections. :shrug: Just my thoughts.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

WVHogRider wrote:When I had a system in past vehicles, the buzzing noise would be from placing the RCA cables directly next to the power and ground cables. :roll: However, with you blowing the fuzes, I would check all the connections. Did you do the install? Did you use the crimp connectors or sawder, (sp?), the wire connections? It sounds like something worked loose with the connections. :shrug: Just my thoughts.

or there's a pinched wire!!!! thw pinched wire could be rubbing a bracket or something causing a short.........but that would blow the in line fuse. if you got the head unit from a stereo shop/circuit city/best buy/crutchfields.....give them a call for suggestions..
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:cheers: Right along my line of thinking....Hence the question "Did you do the install"...."crimp or sawder"....Yes a rubbed through wire could definitely be it, and it all depends on which wire rubbed through for which fuse would blow. I always had a couple fuzes, as the my dad was a Navy aircraft mechanic.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I agree. Definitelly check for pinched wires, both power and speaker wires.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...