E-fan wiring

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

E-fan wiring

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

So hooked up my e-fan today. Been going crazy trying to figure out why it wasnt turning on. 4 shucks trips and 6 hours later found out that my ignition hot wire wasnt spliced (even though I used the splice connector, it wasnt cutting into the wire).

Finally got everything hooked up. I was debating if I wanted to do a turn-off switch but its already too late and decided against it. Had the truck running while I was putting stuff away and realized......I installed the ign hot wire to my stereo remote wire.

turn stereo off, e-fan goes off....fun stuff, and since i never turn my radio off its no big deal.
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Better let anyone that drives the truck in on that secret.
Sounds a little risky to me :?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Oh no.....No one else drives it. Im the only one. Kinda like my motorbike. My wife doesnt even drive my truck.

Cna you see any problems w/ this other than getting my stereo stolen?
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

kauaibuilt47 wrote:Oh no.....No one else drives it. Im the only one. Kinda like my motorbike. My wife doesnt even drive my truck.

Cna you see any problems w/ this other than getting my stereo stolen?
YES!

Although it works for you, I would STRONGLY recomend NOT leaving it like this. You may always have your radio on, but all it takes is one instance where you turn the radio off for your truck to overheat.

Simple senario:
Your at a friends house and he comes out to listen to some mysterious tick you have, so what do you do, you shut the radio off so he can listen. Once done you step out of the truck to talk about it, one thing leads to another and you are in checking out his PS3 while your truck is still running (your were just going to be a minute, right?). next thing you know you come out and your truck is shut off, the BAD way, and there is a big puddle of antifreeze on the ground.

Sure, you may never turn the radio off, but in a year you may just happen to turn the radio off, and since this is long from you mind you don't realize that doing so shuts your fan off also, BAM, new motor time.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

X2

I know it's a pain but, you need to go back in there. I have been putting off pulling mine apart for weeks now to correct my antenna coming lose from the back of my stock HU the last time I worked on my XM radio.

I am an electrical moron but, I never reassemble anything until I know it is working properly. I just forgot to check my stock radio and was concentrating on the XM side :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

It'll take maybe 30 min to redo it. Just thought it was cool, using the stereo vs installing a new switch. Not that I plan on doing any water crossings or anything anytime soon.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The override "off" switch is also cool to get the rig warmer faster on cold days. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge. I almost burnt my motor up on a trail ride when a ground vibrated loose :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

f9k9 wrote:The override "off" switch is also cool to get the rig warmer faster on cold days. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge. I almost burnt my motor up on a trail ride when a ground vibrated loose :!:
Mine has a temp control and only comes on when engine reaches a certain temp. Normal temp for mine is around 210 so I got the fan set to come on around 220 or so.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

But, if a ground rattles off, temperature has no bearing on the issue is what I am warning you about. I just had to relearn glancing at my temp gauge all over again.

I had a spade connection on my controller rattle loose and the fans were not activating at my set temperature.