Xenon bulbs

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Xenon bulbs

Post by 24digger »

Anyone tried a set of these? I'm thinking about trying a set on my silhouette, stockers are terrible. :!: Xenon bulbs
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Well there is alot of bunk in the add.

Xenon in a headlight does not give you more light, it functions just like Halogen and neither actually contribute to the light output. Xenon will make a bulb glow towards the blue range, but only a little.

The thing to watch out with there is the blue tinting on the bulb, all that does is rob light. As for blue light itself, it is NOT what you really want as far as "lighting" goes, but if for looks then that is up to you.

Personlly I'm one of those that like the HIR bulbs, there nearly a stock replacement and have good output. Silverstars are also a good upgrade, but if going for output over color get the Euro Silverstars, they don't have the light robbing blue tint the American bulbs come with.

I would also recomend a wiring harness. By wiring directy to the battery or alternator with large guage wiring and quality relays you can gain a bit of output, how much output depends on your truck. In my 91 I have a 14.6 volt difference between the positive and negative terminals on the battery, but my headlights only see a 12.3 volt difference because of the resistance of the stock wiring and the worn out headlight switch. By going with a relay harness I should be able to get very close to the 14.6 difference on the battery, thats nearly a 10% increase in voltage (USA Silverstars give 15% more light), since light output is exponential to voltage I will get a MUCH larger increase in light output by going with a relay harness, then add silverstars to that and I will have great lights.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Thanks for the responce guys, the blue look is not what I really want. Just need more light I think I'll give the silver stars a try.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

It's funny that the lighting issue came up today. I've been using the Silverstars for about a year or two now. I can't really remember when I put them in. Anyway, as I was coming into work, a co-worker called me on the cell to let me know that my driver side headlight was mis-aligned. He said that it was actually directed straight at his mirror, instead of pointing towards the center and slightly down. (He drives a lowered Honda Civic, which might be the cause of my lights going directly in his mirrors.) :wink: I rarely get highbeamed. I just thought it was due them being that much brighter. I'll have to check the alignment tonight, and possibly tweak the adjuster screws,if there are any.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]