Rear Speakers

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Taylorized
Regular
Regular

Rear Speakers

Post by Taylorized »

Has anyone replaced the stock rear door speakers? If so what with? What kind of differnce did it make?
I have a 2004 S10 CC with a Pioneer 5900ib that I just installed. Very happy with sound from front but the rear speakers are sad. Any info would be great
THANKS
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

yeah i replaced the rear speackers with some pioneers (costed bout $70 for the pair). i thoght it would sound alot better, but it didn't. It was a little louder, but still not that big of a difference.
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
jdeller
Regular
Regular

speekers

Post by jdeller »

well lets just say I like a lil bump in my cc. so i went and replaced all 6 stock speekers, and i also put a 10" sub with a 600 watt amp on the floor behind the drivers seet. it bumps now!!!!
radziej

I did

Post by radziej »

I also replaced my rear door speakers with a pair of Alpine Type-S, the only reason i did so was because i wanted all my speakers to match( I replaced my fronts with the same Type-S pair). There was only three differences that I found:
1. I'm out another $100
2. Barely better sound( Only if you sit in the middle of the back seat)
3. All my speakers match.
Not too long after I installed them I put in a 10in Alpine Type-R with a Kicker 400.1 amp and now i just move the fade towards the front because i can't hear anything in the back seat besides the sub. Well i hope this helped.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome aboard radziej :wave:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
radziej

Post by radziej »

Thanks f9k9! :D :shock:
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Ok, so I tried installing some today in the rear door. No good.

The woofer was too deep. It wouldn't fit. Now, the problem is, this was an open box set from my friend. So I didn't have any of the brackets or mounting rings that normally would come with the woofers. Not sure if that is what I was missing, but they didn't fit.

Anybody ran into this problem?

Here are the woofers I tried.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yvLekVxT1O ... ?i=109P652
radziej

Re JBL's in bkdoors..

Post by radziej »

How are you mounting those JBL's?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Do a search on Ebay for RMB6. IMO, the rear speakers are good for nothing except bass/mid-bass. Kicker makes two shallow mounted midbass drivers, a 6" and an 8". You want the 6" of course (RMB6). Wouldn't hurt to amp them either, but I'd put an amp on the front speakers first.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

I was just trying to mount them in the normal stock locations. I suppose I am going to have to look for a shallow mount woofer. Thanks for the tip towards the Kicker.

Also, I didn't even bother with the front doors yet. Am I going to run into this problem there as well? Or is the front door area deep enough to accomodate a deeper magnet on a woofer?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The front doors give you more room. I have a set of kicker components in my front doors. Be warned, even if you drop woofers into the rear doors, you're probably gonna have to put the fader to the back a bit and turn the volume up some to hear much difference. If you can, replace the dash and door speakers at the same time. If you want a drop in, go with a 4x6" plate for the dash (3-4" woofer and a tweeter mounted to a plastic or metal plate), and 6-1/2" coaxials or components for the front doors.

A note on the kicker, it's been a while since I've messed with new car audio stuff, so those model numbers are several years old. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Ya I planned on trying to replace all the speakers at once. I do know that the rear speakers don't matter much, but I figure anything can be better than stock.

Ya I could find that Kicker number on Ebay. I actually wanted to try and run all JL Audio but they don't seem to offer a shallow mount. I will have to research some more though.