Dash speaker sugestions?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Dash speaker sugestions?

Post by MARBLEYARD »

Time to replace my dash speakers... again :roll: . I am asking if anyone has any AFFORDABLE sugestions (from experience). I am a bargain shopper and will probably get them on ebay so I want to make sure they fit, sound good, and can hold up to some power behind them before I commit. Highs are fairly important because I am already running Alpines in my door that cover great mid range.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Check out the JL Audio 4 inch. I think you can get them for $48 on Ebay. They are actually a 4 inch with a tweeter but they ship them with the 4x6 adapter plate.

EDIT: Ok so I was right on the price but you still have to factor in the hefty shipping. Still though, JL is a great product.

linked long url-HJ

Website
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_comp ... comp_id=59
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Alpine and Infinity also make 4x6" plates. You'll be happy with either of these or the JL's. :) Of course, you could make some small modifications and drop a 5-1/4" component set in there. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

The 4" sugestion is GREAT !:idea: I saw what you were talking about with the plate mount option included. Do you know if you HAVE TO have a plate mounting kit to install any 4"?
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The openings are 4x6", so you could just use a single 4", but a plate would probably work better.
--Walt
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I went ahead and just bought Alpine 4x6 150w peak. I have had great experience with Alpine and got them for $50.00 shipped! Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how they turned out after I install them! 8)
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Good deal. I think you'll see a big difference in overall sound volume and quality. Good choice on the Alpines too. :)
--Walt
jdeller
Regular
Regular

???

Post by jdeller »

I thought that they where inly like a inch a half. one on each side of the dash?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: ???

Post by killian96ss »

jdeller wrote:I thought that they where inly like a inch a half. one on each side of the dash?
Are you talking about the defrost vents on each side of the dash? :? :?:

Steve
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Cool man! Yes, please do let us know how they sound.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The stock speakers in the dash are tweeters I think, mounted on a plate.
--Walt
jdeller
Regular
Regular

?

Post by jdeller »

ya thats right mine are on a steel plate. the cover is like 6x6 or something and the tweeters are like inch and a half..??? what other speekers are there in the dash?
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

The alpines (SPS-46C2 ; 4x6) are in, not without a little work though. They are too deep to mount on the factory level holes. You have to use one of the supplied brackets. The only "problem" was the factory grills have tabs that extend down (from the srews you had to remove to lift out the grill) they slightly hit the mounting brackets on the speaker itself. It bent them a little but not enough to make a difference. Overall I love 'em great full sound and as of right now they can handle a beating. I'd recomend them to any CC owner!!! :thumb:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Have you noticed a difference in sound clarity? Especially in the high range?
--Walt
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I noticed a huge difference, I had eclipse 4x6 originally and I like the alpines better! Like I said earlier, they just sound fuller if you know what I mean by that.
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

No big deal, but I blew 'em :lol: . Blew my amp too :x . I'm go'n for my eardrums next :rock: