Satellite Radio

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Satellite Radio

Post by Cajun »

I've just ordered an XM satellite radio receiver for my truck and wondered where you guys find the best location for the satellite antenna? Can it be mounted on the dash?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just run it through your door grommet (accordion looking thing) and up your windshield seal to the roof. Try to mount it on the passenger side if you are going that route and have 6" of sheet metal surrounding the antenna. Can post pics if, needed and if, u are not in a hurry/
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

I've found the groove in the "A" pillar seal that leads straight to the roof. The door grommet is a good idea that I haven't thought of. Photos would be nice. I won't do the install until this weekend.

Thanks for your help.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Will try to get it. Pm me about Thursday. I gotta rebuild my front drive shaft in the heep and maybe replace the front passenger side axle u-joint. $126 in parts, with discount, for the DS alone :x
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
coffee_junkie

Post by coffee_junkie »

I have seen the pros do this, so this is what I did. Run it through the brake light at the back of the cab and mount it on the roof. You have to drill a hole in the bottom of the light bracket and push the wire through between the head liner and the roof. I never have any problems with reception. If you put it on the dash you will liklely have problems with reception when traveling North.
Hope that helps.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

My buddy at the office had his installed at Best Buy and that's how they routed it. I'm not brave enough to deal with the head liner and the middle back location will be blocked when my canoe rides up top. I will likely go with the up front off center location just ahead of the stock ZR5 roof rack bracket. Thanks for your input.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just keep the cable away from the hinges.

border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I ran mine to just above the 3-rd brake light. I didn't drill any holes either. I was able to route the cable out of site to front door by tucking it under the rubber door seals and under around the back window seal. Will post some pics later on today.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:Will try to get it. Pm me about Thursday. I gotta rebuild my front drive shaft in the heep and maybe replace the front passenger side axle u-joint. $126 in parts, with discount, for the DS alone :x
Bearing assembly was shot too! So $350 in just parts for 1 side and the DS :cry: