new speaker/ sub advice

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

new speaker/ sub advice

Post by bradjh »

ok i can not stand the factory speakers any more. i would like to keep the factory head unit for the rds. but i want new front and rear speakers and i wana hear a little bass. what speakers sound good for the money. also i am considering adding a sub behind the rear seat has anyone done this let me know how you accomplished this feat. thankyou. brad
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Just to let you know from experience, replacing the factory radio with a new head unit makes the sound so much better! Plus, if you want to ad a sub woofer, that is definately the way to go b/c our factory head units dont have pre-outs for the amp so you are stuck using a crossover. Our speakers aren't that bad actually, but if you want to replace them, do a quick search, there is alot of info about which speakers sound good. You can fit a 10" sub behind the back seat pretty easily. You just need to make your own box though. Depending on the mounting depth of the sub you get, you may need to move the rear seat forward an inch by adding washers on the seat mounts. The box just needs to be custom made. Trial and error is most effective. I took a card board box and just made a model of the size I needed to see if it would work, then I made the necessary modifications. But it is entirely possible to fit a 10" sub comfortably behind our back seats. But spend the extra $200 bucks and get a new head unit, you'll be glad that you did.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
murfjr

Post by murfjr »

i have Infinity References in the front and rear doors, and for $100 a pair, they're amazing. in my old car i had alpine type S's and they come nowhere close to the Infinity's considering they're the same price. And definitely spend the extra money on the head unit, you will be much happier down the road. i have an Alpine head unit currently and it has served me very well. now for the subwoofer, you are definitely going to want to add that mod too, i went with the 12" Alpine Type E, and let me tell you, for a Sub that only takes 250 rms and only 750 max, that sub hits harder than my friends 2 kickers, i ripped my tweeters out of the dash, but for the front speakers infinity makes the Reference model in components, and they sound pretty good too. my father has them in his canyon with the factory head unit and they still are some of the most crisp sounding speakers i've ever heard. i hope this helps