Fog light upgrades

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fog light upgrades

Post by green02crew »

I just went to the local autozone to pick up some fog light bulbs for my stock lights. The 885s were cheaper and were 50w instead of the lower 27w 880 bulbs we had stock. They are slightly different shape but fit in the wire harness snuggly just don't clip in. Would these bulbs be bad for my wiring? They offer over double the lumens than stock bulbs so its a cheap and easy upgrade especially if one bulb happens to blow!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Fog light upgrades

Post by killian96ss »

green02crew wrote:Would these bulbs be bad for my wiring?
I don't think it would be a good idea to use bulbs that are nearly 2x the stock wattage.

You could easily melt your wiring harness or worse have an electrical fire. :shock:

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, but I think others will agree. :wink:

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Has anyone else been running 50 watt bulbs in their foglights?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I think Sylvania makes Silverstar replacement bulbs for the fog lights that put out a lot more light using the stock wattage.

Just another option. :wink:

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Sylvania does have the 880ST but the 885s are still double the lumens output over the 880ST. If it won't overload the wiring it seems a great option to me. I can't imagine I'm the first one to try running these lamps in our trucks. In theory if it did overload it would blow the fuse due to too much draw. That is if the truck was wired correctly and the fuse was rated lower than the wiring and harness.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I think Brule (HenryJ) has been using 55w bulbs for foglights for quite some time, but I could be wrong.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

are you open to some more serious mods for driving lights? Im thinking HID's.... and no for all you people doing this: :?: im not gonna tell him to buy an asian kit!
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

HID's sound good but the real kits for conversions are 100's of dollars the cheap ones aren't real and fake you into thinking theres more light on the road than there really is by changing the light color. They can be pretty dangerous. But for a few bucks you can get the Sylverstars and like I'm trying to figure out, just some brighter fog light bulbs. Safe, easy, cheap!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

yessir you are exactly right!

I do hid retros on the side, and I have always wanted to retro an HID driving light into the middle part of the ambers( but use aftermarket clears)
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

That would be really nice to see especially with the clear corners!
By the way good call Walt!
HenryJ wrote:
55W fog light bulb upgrade ( GM Part # 9442879 )
If those are in the stock harness than I would be all set because those bulbs are an 886 which puts out the same lumens as an 885 at a similar wattage. Those should be the two brightest bulbs that will fit in stock wiring. 886 would clip in because they are 90 degree base while 885 does not since they are straight in. Guess I might want to go back and get the 886 due to the better fit...
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Walt wrote:I think Brule (HenryJ) has been using 55w bulbs for foglights for quite some time, but I could be wrong.
That does sound familiar for some reason. :?:

I didn't know the 01 CC's came with factory fog lights. :?

I usually upgrade wiring harnesses for safety anytime I put more juice through them.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Factory Driving Light Upgrade

part # for fog lght bulbs????
HenryJ wrote:
Retep wrote:Brule, Have you had any problem with melting/warping, or yellowing of the lense or reflector after changing to the 55W bulbs?

I notice my fog reflector is beginning to yellow at the bottom and I still have the stock bulbs in them. I do use them a lot, anytime the headlights are on so are the fogs.

Pete
I don't use mine very often, because I'm pretty sure they are bright enough now ,to pose a blinding danger to oncoming traffic. I do not have any browning or warping.
I just use them for filler lighting ocasionally or in the fog.
Over five years for mine now.
killian96ss wrote:I didn't know the 01 CC's came with factory fog lights.
The '01 came with everything usually. They started cutting back and making more things optional in later years. Leather was not available, and the appearance package.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well thats a good enough test of time for me!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Be prepared to deal with browned housings. Some have melted the bottom of the housing.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Be prepared to deal with browned housings. Some have melted the bottom of the housing.
This would seem to be a good enough reason NOT to use higher wattage bulbs especially if you use your fog lights a lot. :shock: :?

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I do use them but not for extended periods of time or everyday.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well after extensive testing I can say that the 50watt bulbs are a bit too hot for my tastes. The 896 is a 37.5 watt bulb instead of the 50 and runs much cooler. The 50 watt is nice but those bulbs are designed to be headlights rather than foglights. They put out comparable lumens to my headlights. Looks like I'll settle on the 896s!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
davejb851
Regular
Regular

fog light housing removal

Post by davejb851 »

Here's a good one.
I was reading here about fog lamp replacement, and since I've found one of mine not working......well here we go!
I got the headlamp housing out, no problem. At least it's not as fragile as the plastic tabs on my Aztek, which I broke :oops:
Then I figured out the squeeze locking tab behind the fog lense, and can see there is another locking tab at the outside of the turn signal housing, but I can't seem to get it to release! And if you read the bit about the Aztek.....well I don't want to break any plastic tabs that will cost me $100 for a new housing.
So can you give me a hint?
Thanks.
[size=75]I tell my Boy Scouts.....leadership isn't a job, it's an attitude! Lead by example!
2002 CC bone stock...for now - 2001 Aztek AWD - 1997 Land Rover Discovery[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It is pretty much just rotate and remove IIRC but, either wait for members to look into it or I can research it tomorrow. I really never fooled with my stock fog lamps much.

I promise that we can come up with more help later.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

if you are concerned that 50W bulbs will do damage,
try 893 bulbs. they are 37.5W replacement for the 880.
many a are not anti-glare coated on the tip,
but some are.

the Sonomas and Jimmys w/fog lamps use 881 bulbs, 27W.
894's are the 37.5W replacements for them.

i bought some of the yellow 27W 881's from Ebay for my truck.
been quite happy with them...
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Does the yellow improve contrast in the fog or is it really perceptible?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

I am so glad this thread was started. I am planning on removing the head/fog lights from my sonoma, and putting normal headlights in. Then I was going to run the factory wire down to some aftermarket fog lights. It sounds like I should be able to use 55 watt ones without problems. I do have a Q though, I see in the pics thread that alot of you guys have small round fogs mounted down by your tow hooks. I don't want to lose my tow hooks, so what lights/size are you guys using? Thanks
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I also went with the yellow 893's and really like the contrast on foggy nights compared the the factory lamps
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kxracer wrote:...I see in the pics thread that alot of you guys have small round fogs mounted down by your tow hooks. I don't want to lose my tow hooks, so what lights/size are you guys using?
I am back to using the 3.5" round Optilux HyperX lights. There are tons of options. That is about as big as you can go.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

HenryJ wrote:
kxracer wrote:...I see in the pics thread that alot of you guys have small round fogs mounted down by your tow hooks. I don't want to lose my tow hooks, so what lights/size are you guys using?
I am back to using the 3.5" round Optilux HyperX lights. There are tons of options. That is about as big as you can go.
Thanks, and you can still use your tow hooks right? I'm looking up the lights right now.

EDIT: all the optilux lights I can find are arranged by model number. Do you have the 1182 series?
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Optilux ... gLamps.jsp
Thanks again
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kxracer wrote:...and you can still use your tow hooks right?
Well sort of. I went to the first gen hooks so mine are below and there are no hooks in that opening.

My mistake they are not Optilux, they are Optronics - thread -> Wireless control winch lights

I did have the oval and the rectangular fogs down there for a time too. One of the ovals leaked bad and filled with water. The rectangles got pretty sand blasted over the years, so I opted for the bigger reflector of the HyperX lamps that I pulled off the cargo box when I went HID there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

HenryJ wrote:
kxracer wrote:...and you can still use your tow hooks right?
Well sort of. I went to the first gen hooks so mine are below and there are no hooks in that opening.

My mistake they are not Optilux, they are Optronics - thread -> Wireless control winch lights

I did have the oval and the rectangular fogs down there for a time too. One of the ovals leaked bad and filled with water. The rectangles got pretty sand blasted over the years, so I opted for the bigger reflector of the HyperX lamps that I pulled off the cargo box when I went HID there.
Cool, thanks. So you can only use the hooks if you have first gen ones. I remember there being a truck the same color as mine with really small ones next to the tow hooks. I will get the name in a second.

EDIT: the name was Hoggy, maybe he can't use them. i can't decide.
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

I didn't even think about it, but I will probably loose my tow hooks when I do my body lift anyway, won't I. Thanks
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Bump!

I've been thinking about adding factory fog light housings and putting in a pair of 886 style leds. In my experience, led doesn't create the heat that incandescent bulbs do. I'm wondering, do you guys think the housings would handle the leds?

:wave:
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

If you mean the factory fog lights that were in the turn signals, dont waste the money. For whatever reason LEDs never last long in that application (some more GM electrical wizzardy) and they pretty much are not bright at all. I put the LED strip turn signal housings on my truck that do not have the fog lights and used the circuit to power a pair of heavy duty LED fogs which have MUCH better results in brightness. Ill have to take some fog on fog off from the cab photos at night
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

You might be better off putting a single row led light bar between the grill and condenser to keep it out of sight if that's what you're looking for. Should be easy enough to fab a bracket, even easier if you have a gmc with the larger grill opening.