Clear corners?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Clear corners?

Post by HenryJ »

Anyone find any clear corners for use with factory fog lights?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Yes, on the old forum, I found a link that list the Fog light version. I don't remember if anyone bought it to make sure. Let me look though the old forum and see if it's there still.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Found it:

http://www.voy.com/88652/4/871.html

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm ... goryid/143

Model number:403033CL Clear Corner Lenses

Fits with Factory Inner Fog Lamp ï 1998 - 2002 Chevrolet S10 Pick Up

APC $74.95 Pair

Picture from there site:

There was no pic then but one now so it looks like a go. I'm probably going to pick one up in a few months, but if someone gets them before me, let us know.

Cheers,

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Lee
Regular
Regular

I have the clear corners on my truck

Post by Lee »

I picked up a set of the APC clear corners for use with factory fog lights at NOPI for $25. If there are any car shows in your area anytime soon, you should look there first because they always have better deals than anyone else. If you're really wanting to get them soon, try TruckNVans.com. That's where I ordered my euro taillights from and they had a better price on alot of other things I've been looking for too. 8)

Lee
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Thanx

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks for the quick response. I'll check local prices on the APC now that I have a part #.

I'm not sure what brand the ones from Trucknvan are though. I like the "diamond cut" look of the APC's and the fact that they are all clear.

One more thing are the amber LED bulbs available for the turn signals? the 194 clearance lights are, but our turn sig. bulb is listed as 3457A (stock). All I see listed is the amber 3157.

Will the 3157 work or is it different ?
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

that is oh so seet! i want clear corners!
Lee
Regular
Regular

Clear corners

Post by Lee »

The one's from TruckNVans are APC brand. They are the ones that are all clear with diamond cut lenses. I'm not sure about the amber bulbs, the set comes with replacement amber bulbs, so unless you just specifically want l.e.d. bulbs, you shouldn't need any for awhile.

Lee
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Thanx

Post by Conman »

Cool. let us know what you find out about the Amber bulbs. I'm planning on the higher output foglight bulb and these clear corners also.

Cheers,

Con

HenryJ wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I'll check local prices on the APC now that I have a part #.

I'm not sure what brand the ones from Trucknvan are though. I like the "diamond cut" look of the APC's and the fact that they are all clear.

One more thing are the amber LED bulbs available for the turn signals? the 194 clearance lights are, but our turn sig. bulb is listed as 3457A (stock). All I see listed is the amber 3157.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanx for the assist guys!

Trucknvan does have a good price (now that I know they are the APC's) , but I went ahead and ordered them through my local NAPA rep. $68. It's a little more , but the money is staying local. And the price was in the "ballpark" IMO.

I didn't know they came with bulbs, that's nice. I'm going to try them first and wait on the LED bulbs, for now.

I like the idea of the LED bulbs being clear , but I am concerned with a few issues.

#1- lower amp draw creating problems with loading the flasher unit. (may require different flasher unit or additional loading coupler?)

#2-Visibility. Are they bright enough and visible from the side? (limited reflection from rear of LED bulb to reflector)

#3-Compatibility. I still haven't received a good answer as to what the difference between the 3457 (stock) and the 3157 (only available LED) is.

I should have the clear corners in 7-10 days (I hope) :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Thanx

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I'll check local prices on the APC now that I have a part #.

I wonder if the 3457 is a clear/white light and the 3157 is the amber version. I guess when you get your clear corners, just look what bulb number is on that.

Let us know. It's so nice that the s10 has so many aftermarket parts for it. My Isuzu Trooper has very little that most of it comes from overseas or custom(like my rocker bars on that).

Cheeers,

Con
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Availability of aftermarket parts is a double edge sword.

It is nice to have lots of options, but it keeps the wallet emptied too. :?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lee
Regular
Regular

3457 & 3157

Post by Lee »

The difference between these two bulbs as I understand it is the base of the bulb. The 3157 is the traditional bulb that is used in brake lights on most every car ever made, the 3457 has a special base that only GM cars require. I ran into this same problem when I thought about putting LED bulbs in my euroclears, and just a little by the way, if you get LED bulbs and insert them the wrong way, they'll blow the main fuse for your taillight system.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The clears are on :thumb: , I'll take a pic AsTimePermit's.

FYI, Ignore what the owners manual says about the bulb being 3457A, mine was not. It was the 3157 stock. Mystery solved.

For now , I'm going to run the 3157A (amber) bulbs that came with the clears. I may try some LED's at some point.

Anyone know what to do with the two 1" square amber reflectors that came with the clears?

I mean besides in the glove box, where I will be keeping them for now. :mrgreen:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:Anyone know what to do with the two 1" square amber reflectors that came with the clears?

I mean besides in the glove box, where I will be keeping them for now. :mrgreen:

So it came with Amber reflectors? How would they be installed into the clear corners? So they can be street legal? I might have to hit my auto store sooner than later then. :) :D

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

NM, I found info on this:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/APC403033CL

It's nice that it can appear to be street legal by adding the amber reflectors. I would rather not put them in but I don't want any problems running them. Anyone ever order from Cardomain.com(or sounddomain.com)? It's 68bucks after shipping so not too bad.

Also has anyone ordered from here:

http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/Chevy_E ... Tails.html

http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/Pics/TY ... 36_Big.jpg

- changed t0 a link cuz it was t00 big :wink: - M0d HS

100bucks with free shipping is the best price I found. Anyone else find the TYC cheaper?

Thanks,

Con
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Picture as promised

Post by HenryJ »

Here's a quick shot of how they look.

The amber bulbs do show pretty bad, I'm going to check out some LED's while on our trip.

P.S. The box is on 'cause I'm going "Coastal" (much different than "Postal").

Heading for the Oregon coast for a week, I hope to check out the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Nice! :D I'm going to be ordering them this weekend. I don't have a Napa near me to order locally. I might try Pepboys first cause I think they carry APC but I bet the price will be higher. Catch 22. But if they have it in stock, I might just bite the bullet and get them. I'm planning on the Black TYC tail lights so I'll have pics then. Maybe when I install them, I'll finish taking pics of the other mods I did and finally mount the Lund Bug Guard.......... :shock:

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

http://www.trendesignautosports.com/Lig ... _Chevy.htm

How about these? :)

Euro Diamond style head light assembles! It's a little pricey at 260bucks but bet the factory head lights cost atleast that if not more. Some of the websites say pre-order so these must be really new.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm ... milyid=387

Another style of headlights but I'm not too fond of them:

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Just ordered the clear corners and TYC rear lights in Black. Will take pics when I get them. I ordered them from stylinconcepts.com cause I had a coupon for free shipping.

Cheers,

Con
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Clear Corners?

Post by Joseph »

HEY Con, I bought a pair of the TYC black tail lights. I've gotten alot of compliments on them. Those head lights you found are different. I need to take a few pictures of my tail lights and send them in. I like my factory turn signals they add some color to the truck.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Got my order in today. Let me say that the TYC are top notch! :D The lens is really clear and the design is much nicer than what it looks online. The APC Clear corners on the other hand....... :(

I'm going to hold my full comment on them right now cause it appears my box was opened and probably returned so that might be why mine are damaged. It appears there are stress cracks starting from the clear reflector into the turn signal. Way noticable to accept them.

Henry, I don't understand how the yellow reflectors go in. Did your have instructions? I'm wondering the clear reflectors comeout and the amber one snaps in underneath but Mine is together and I dont' see how it would come apart. Also, one of the amber reflectors is cracked too. As for the lights, they are nice, but I noticed the grey glue around the lights like it does not fit right. The box was very thin so it's possible why the lights have stress cracks in them.

Will let everyone know.

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Clear Corners?

Post by Conman »

Joseph wrote:HEY Con, I bought a pair of the TYC black tail lights. I've gotten alot of compliments on them. Those head lights you found are different. I need to take a few pictures of my tail lights and send them in. I like my factory turn signals they add some color to the truck.

They are really nice. BTW, the pic I linked above before might be the Gun Metal Black model, as mine are flat black, which is what I wanted anyway. Will post pics this weekend.

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Picture as promised

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:Here's a quick shot of how they look.

The amber bulbs do show pretty bad, I'm going to check out some LED's while on our trip.

P.S. The box is on 'cause I'm going "Coastal" (much different than "Postal").

Heading for the Oregon coast for a week, I hope to check out the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area.

that looks freakin awesome!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Henry, I don't understand how the yellow reflectors go in. Did your have instructions?
Nope, no instructions. I going to keep them in the glove box with some tape. If I get hassled I'll tape them on and pull them off when I get out of sight :evil:
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steven
Crew
Crew

Clear corners

Post by Steven »

Well I got me a set of clear corners today, installed in about 2 minutes. They look great!, Pictures to follow soon.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:
Henry, I don't understand how the yellow reflectors go in. Did your have instructions?
Nope, no instructions. I going to keep them in the glove box with some tape. If I get hassled I'll tape them on and pull them off when I get out of site :evil:

Hm... I'm not sure how the amber reflectors go in then. It appears the clear reflectors can come out but there is no easy way I can tell you can take them out without some damage. I was hoping cause mine box was open, that someone installed the clear reflectors before putting in the amber ones. I'm going to contact APC and see what they say, if it's going to cause damage, I'll be running them clear then till I get pulled over.

Cheers,

Con
Steven
Crew
Crew

Reflectors

Post by Steven »

I don't think I'd worry to much about it as long as you have amber bulbs. The clears I've got have not amber backing, just chrome reflector THEN amber bulbs. They almost look like amber lenses at night.

I don't think you'd get pulled over if you had the bulbs in.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I agree, with the amber bulbs lit I don't think there will be any problems. But I think that an amber reflector is required (legally) on the front sides, just as the red reflectors are required on the rear sides.

I kind of thought that the amber marker bulb (top corners) would get me by, since the turn/park bulbs aren't visible from the side.

Lots of people told me I'd get a ticket for the lack of a front license plate on my HenryJ, but I haven't had any problems. I figure this might be a similar situation, If I don't mess around and give them an excuse to want to write me a ticket, maybe they won't bother me :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steven
Crew
Crew

Clear Corners

Post by Steven »

I understand now. On the APC's the corners are amber, and the front of them is clear. I still agree with you, I doubt it that anyone will bother you for them as long as the bulb is amber.

I will get you the part number for the APC SuperWhites. They are nice. Give me a day or so to find the box.
Lee
Regular
Regular

Clear corners

Post by Lee »

I don't know about the areas where you guys live, but I have not been hassled at all about my clear corners, and I don't have the amber reflectors. I have seen sets that have crystal clear lenses in front and an amber reflector on the side, but mine have the diamond cut front and side lenses with clear reflectors. I live in Alabama, which is one of the most easy going states as far as automotive laws, so maybe that's it. I would not put the amber reflectors on unless somebody says something about it, but hey, that's just me.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Clear corners

Post by Conman »

Lee wrote:I don't know about the areas where you guys live, but I have not been hassled at all about my clear corners, and I don't have the amber reflectors. I have seen sets that have crystal clear lenses in front and an amber reflector on the side, but mine have the diamond cut front and side lenses with clear reflectors. I live in Alabama, which is one of the most easy going states as far as automotive laws, so maybe that's it. I would not put the amber reflectors on unless somebody says something about it, but hey, that's just me.

I see lots of people here even with clear rear taillights but I know a few who get hassled so I don't want that. I'm still waiting for them to come back so I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I got my new clear fronts but they still have some slight cracks in them, but not as bad as the first set atleast. I did not get the amber reflectors this time though. But I did notice that the new set says DOT/SAE on them, but I dont' remember if the last set said the same thing. I emailed APC, but no reply yet. :x as I still don't see how the reflectors mount to the lights. I plan on mounting the lights this weekend(and maybe I'll try to get the bug guard on then too) so I'll have new pics then.

Cheers,

Con

P.S. I'll try to make links to pics from now on as I forget so many of you are on dial-up still. I get spoiled with Cablemodem. :)
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

http://www.zr2.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c ... 2;t=000653

Saw that at ZR2.com. It appears some models, the whole reflector is amber. I'm still confussed how the 1" amber reflectors would go it. I never got a reply back from my email to APC about how they install. Plus My second set did not have them in the box either. I'm going to send another email, so stay tuned.

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Had some time to mount the APC front lights and TYC rear taillights today. TYC ones fit very well, but the bolts they supplied broke the clip nuts cause they were oversized. I went to the local auto store and bought some new clips and smaller bolts. Mounted up fine. I liked the stock rear lights cause it was all red, so I was worried these would make it to flashy, but because I got the flat black taillights, it looks very factory and the black blends in well with the rest of the black trim like it was factory lights.

The front went in easy also, after opening up the owners manual to figure out how to take out the lights. Way to many clips and mounts. No wonder the lights shake so much. What was GM thinking? The APC corners went in fine. I moved over the fog lights, but not the foam tape which appears was there for helping reduce the shaking. Going to see how it goes, but I will probably have to put in the foam to keep the fogs from shaking.

All in all, it was easy to put in and makes the truck look a little more trick, but not flashy. Still wondering about the amber reflectors though for the front. I might buy some of that reflective tape and cut a small piece and tape it to the side of the corners just to be safe. Will upload some pics soon.

Cheers,

Con
SlickDaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While you guys are at it....

Post by SlickDaddy »

Well I dont have the luxury of putting in a clear corner on a sonoma, but while you guys are down there ripping stuff apart, I thought Id share something...

The stock fog light is an 881, 27 watt bulb. I replaced it with the 885, 55 watt bulb. It makes a big difference, people keep flashing their highs at me while Im driving...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes, the 55w foglight bulb upgrade is definately an improvement!

Don't go any higher though, or you'll burn the lense. Or so I am told :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK