Installation help please.

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installation help please.

Post by Guitar831 »

I need to know where a good place is to install the ST240 (SK125) on or around the center console that is in easy reach from the drivers seat. Also I need some wiring help. The horn/aux input and the park kill/dome light input wires can be either positive or negative connected. I want to connect these wires at the BCM and need to know which wires (positive or negative) to use. Also I need to connect the backlighting wire to the parking light wire also at the BCM. Need to know where to connect these three wires at the BCM. By the way, I need to know how to access the BCM. As for the main power positive and negative wiring, I plan to lead two wires directly to the battery. Same with the speaker wires to the speaker. Speaking of the speaker, I need to know the best way to mount the speaker (SK145) under the hood closest to the grille for best results. It comes with a universal mounting bracket. I also plan to connect the two radio wires from (SK125) to the factory radio by tapping into either the left front or right front factory radio speaker wires depending on which side (SK145) is mounted.

Here's what I'm talking about.
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort= ... 7&cat=2665

Here's a wiring diagram page 7
http://www.galls.com/DOCUMENTS/SK125_Ga ... _ST240.pdf
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have not installed one of these, but i will see if I can help.

What is the make and model you are working on?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

Sorry bout the missing 411. I have a 2003 Chevy S10 Crew Cab build date November 2002 The bulldog security website has wiring color diagrams that indicate everything is the same for 1998-2003 all S-Series trucks. And a seperate page for the 2004 Crew Cab with minor differences in wiring color. Although they do not list the wire color for rear doors trigger. Doesn't matter I just need the wire for the front drivers side door. Tried to make heads and tails of these pages but I want second opinions before I start the install.

1998-2003
http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/diagram.asp ... nk=BULLDOG

http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/diagram.asp ... nk=BULLDOG
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry. You do have a bunch of stuff up there.
At this point you need the wire color for the left front door switch?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

Well I'm sorry HenryJ but it looks like you can't help me. I don't know of any other information that I can include that I haven't already in my first two posts.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Guess not as it is not clear to me what information you lack.
There is not one question (?) in the single paragraphs you have posted.

I have the book sitting in front of me with the connector views, pin assignments , descriptions and colors.
I do not plan to type in all of the information, but would be happy to help if you can tell me what you need.

You have posted the wiring diagram and the Bulldog color codes. What are you missing?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

OK here it goes.

On the wire harness for the ST240 there is a green wire that needs to be connected to the horn wire. According to the bulldog security wiring diagram that is a black wire in the steering column harness. Is this wire a ground or a hot wire? I'm assuming it's a ground because it is black. I don't know. Inside the ST240 control box is a jumper setting for either a negative or positive connected horn/aux wire. I need to know if the green wire is going to be connected to either a ground or a hot horn wire so I can set the jumper to the correct setting. Also if this wire can be accessed at the BCM, which I still need to know how to access.

A gray wire needs to be connected to the dome light wire. It too is also determined by a negative or positive connection jumper inside the ST240 control box. I know for a fact that there is a wire in the BCM. Just need to know which one and if it is negative or positive

As for the backlighting wire all I need is the positive parking light wire in the BCM.

Once again. I need either a hot or ground horn wire, a hot or ground dome light wire, and a hot parking light wire preferably all at the BCM.

Still need a good reachable spot to mount the ST240 inside and a good spot under the hood for the speaker.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I too would assume the wire from the column is a ground. Not because of the color, but because most horn buttons use a relay that is grounded to activate, normally.

The BCM C1 (BRN) connector does list a black wire:
Position A9 BLK circuit 28 Horn relay Control

I would activate the horn and test this wire to see if it has continuity to a known ground when active to confirm our suspicions.

The gray wire for your dome light is going to be a harder guess. there are a few choices there and I am not sure which would be the best.

C1 connector (BRN) right next to the horn wire is a dark blue wire. this has black wires on either side:
Position A8 DK BLU Circuit 1393 Interior Lamp relay Coil control

In the C2 (LT BLU) connector there is a courtesy lamp:
Position A3 GRY/BLK circuit 690 Courtesy Lamp Relay Coil Control
and
Position B12 ORN circuit 1732 Courtesy Lamps Supply Voltage

You also have the C3 (ppl) connector:
Position A2 DK BLU/WHT circuit 1495 Courtesy Lamp Switch Signal
This is the one I would test as my first choice. My bet is it would be a ground too.

The hot parking light wire:

C2 connector (LT BLU)

A5 WHT 1080 Park Lamp Relay Control
B6 BRN 2409 Interior Park Lamps Supply Voltage

The last one would be the one I would test for positive voltage.

Placement:
Under the hood is tight. Getting good access to broadcast forward is going to take some ingenuity. Maybe under the airbox?
How about pulling the front shield and mounting it between the oil filter bracket and the front airbag actuator? that might be a little low and subject to water intrusion. There is the area in the saddle of the HVAC box under the hood. That is not forward, but might be the best choice as it is above the firewall grommet where you will run the wires to the speaker and to the battery.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

Ok good. We can disregard my third post.

Now.... How do I access the BCM? And once I gain access, how do I read all the (Position Letter:Number) connectors to find the right wires I need?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Look at this picture for the BCM Location: BCM Picture
The book says:
The ignition switch should be off when connecting or disconnecting the BCM. Always disconnect the brown connector first and connect it last. The BCM can set codes with ignition in the off position.

Remove the left instrument panel sound insulator as well as the center one.

The side you see facing us in that picture is the top of the connector.

C1 (BRN) is A1-A12 on top and B1-B12 bottom. You should be able to find some markings to confirm this on the connector or receptacle.

C2 (LT BLU) A1-A12 top - B1-B12 bottom

C3 (PPL) A8-A1 top and B8-B1 bottom

Above those behind the blank panel next to the radio is the connector for the rear hatch and wiper switch. Keep it in mind for accessories too. It has a dash light wire, accessory voltage and a few more that can come in handy.
Heres the wiring:

Pin A YEL = Accesory Voltage

Pin B DK GRN = Rear Window washer Control

Pin C GRY = Rear Window Wiper Switch Signal

Pin D BLK = Trunk Release Switch Signal

Pin E BLK = Ground

Pin F GRY Instrument Panel Lamp Fuse Supply Voltage

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

Rear hatch and wiper switch?????? On a crew cab????? What??? I assume you are referring to the wiring harness for Blazers left of the radio and below the 4 wheel drive buttons correct? I didn't know they were included on crew cabs. I'm going to use the blank panel to attach the microphone bracket for the ST240.

I finally got access to the BCM. Now I just have to find the right wires. Good thing I have a two way test light. It has a green LED for ground and a red LED for hot. I hook it to the hot wire from my battery and look for the green LED when searching for the horn and dome light negative wires. Then I hook it to a ground and look for the red LED when searching for the parking light hot wire. Easy.

As for the speaker under the hood, I was wondering if it could be attached to the radiator behind the grille using wire ties. The ones that can only be used once and have to be cut to release whatever they are securing. Any thoughts on that?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Careful about using test lights. A multi meter is much safer. Some circuits operate on very low voltages and the load placed by a test light can be damaging. Your LED test light may be just fine. Just offering a word of caution for those who do not know.

The crew cab is a utility and has the same wiring harness as the Blazers up front. Pick-ups use a different harness.

If the speaker is small enough maybe it could be attached to the hood latch support? I would be skeptical about attaching to the radiator itself. Fins can easily be damaged.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

That's cool about the rear wiper and hatch release wire harness being included on crew cabs. I pulled my dash and sure enough they are there behind the blank panel left of the radio. I used my test light on the gray wire Pin F and turned on the parking light/headlight switch and the red LED lit up. So I decided to connect the backlighting wire to the gray wire on the rear wiper/hatch release harness. That's 1/3 of my wiring problem solved.

As for the speaker, I decided against trying to mount it to the radiator. But I'm still going to find a spot near the grille to mount it. I was thinking about on the back side of the grille itself. Any thoughts?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Guitar831 wrote:............Any thoughts?
Well, my thought is why even bother with a security setup for a rig that is, at least, 4 model yrs old? I don't know about your crime environment so, that may be an important factor. Our OEM security system is pretty good. I just keep an extra key in the ignition at all times and never lock it. Anyone dumb enough to steal mine wouldn't get far once it was reported.

Back to your original question. I do not believe you will have room between the grille and rad. Brule's recommendation of pulling the front shield and locating it near the oil filter would be best, If, you do a lot of off road mudding or deep water crossings then abandon that location. I suspect that if, those two activities are high on your list then, the alarm system wouldn't be on your list of needed modifications.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

f9k9 What are you talking about? This is not a security setup. I'm not trying to replace the OEM security system. Have you even looked at the product I'm installing? It is a police siren, surprisingly, available to purchase by anyone lucky enough to discover that such a company like Galls even exist to the general public. My main reason for buying the ST240 is its P.A. It's is loud. It even has a warning to wear hearing protection when using it because it is basically an amplifier. I've tried different P.A. systems in the past from C.B. P.A.s to various sound horn systems with included P.A. from JCWhitney. None of these were amplified and those 4 or 8 watt speakers just don't compare to the 100 watt speaker that comes with the ST240.

Speaking of speaker, the speaker is slim enough to fit between the grille and radiator. I've checked. I just need to find a way to mount it between the two securely. I'm not much of an off-roader so mud, water, or other off-road damage is not an issue.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might be worth checking your local laws too. Impersonating and emergency vehicle through the installation of warning equipment is a felony here.
Dressing in black and sporting a badge will get you the same felony as well.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

I'm one step ahead of you there. I've already talked with the county sheriff about it and he said as long as I don't use the siren to fool people into pulling over, he and his department have no problem with non law enforcement ownership. He did warn me about the city police. Said they probably wouldn't be lenient. But I don't drive around in the city as much as I do in the county.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Guitar831 wrote:f9k9 What are you talking about? This is not a security setup. I'm not trying to replace the OEM security system............
My bad and I apologize. I wouldn't know much about the equipment that you are installing. Please forgive me.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

It's cool f9k9. No hard feelings.
[size=75]Guitar831[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I have a huge 100 watt speaker tucked behind the bumper on the passenger side of the truck. I have my CB radio mounted inside the center counsel. It is wired right into the fuse box inside the vehicle on one of the empty slots. I can turn it on even when the vehicle is off. I have it grounded beneath the center counsel. Has worked like a charm for 3 years now.... I play sirens, sound effects, music... whatever I feel like playing through it. Used it last night while at a red light to amuse my friends infront of me. It always gets the attention of the other people around too. The look of confusion from bystanders is great!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

BobbleSmitty, you got any pics of how you mounted your CB inside your console? I thought about mounting the ST240 inside the console, but I need to keep my eyes forward when driving instead of having to look down to my right side just to turn a knob of push a button. What kind of 100 watt speaker do you have and how is it mounted behind your bumper?
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

Wait a minute BobbleSmitty. You're the one who has that cool MagnumRadio CB. I remember now seeing those pics. Thanks anyway. I still want to know about your speaker and how it's mounted.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Here's a shot of it after I had installed it originally.

Unfortunately, I dont have a picture of the PA speaker behind the bumper... It's way too snowy here now to attempt to take a pic. You just have to crawl under and just try to find a good place to put your PA. My PA looks just like this one. I dont remember the brand or anything.

[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]