Batteries

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

roadrunner wrote:BIG BATTERIES are well worth the extra change it takes to buy them also. :) IMO the biggest you can make fit!
Plenty of room in the bed to wire up 6 or 8 batteries together.
That ought give ya some cold crankin poWer :shock:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Don't need em quite that big. After all, it is a GAS powered truck not an electric forklift! :lol: In my past mechanic career I've seen too many well intentioned people cause themselves cold and hot hard start problems and short battery life by trying to "save" a few dollars on a cheaper smaller battery. Typically a battery I buy for one of my vehicles lasts 6-8 yrs. I've seen people "saving money" replacing them every two or three years. :crazy:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:... BIG BATTERIES are well worth the extra change it takes to buy them ... IMO the biggest you can make fit!
roadrunner wrote:I've seen too many well intentioned people cause themselves cold and hot hard start problems and short battery life by trying to "save" a few dollars on a cheaper smaller battery. Typically a battery I buy for one of my vehicles lasts 6-8 yrs. I've seen people "saving money" replacing them every two or three years.
What do you suggest? I see few options. None that include a larger battery.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:
roadrunner wrote:... BIG BATTERIES are well worth the extra change it takes to buy them ... IMO the biggest you can make fit!
roadrunner wrote:I've seen too many well intentioned people cause themselves cold and hot hard start problems and short battery life by trying to "save" a few dollars on a cheaper smaller battery. Typically a battery I buy for one of my vehicles lasts 6-8 yrs. I've seen people "saving money" replacing them every two or three years.
What do you suggest? I see few options. None that include a larger battery.
In the case of our CC's we are somewhat limited by available space but that doesn't prevent even direct fit replacement with the highest crank/reserve battery available as opposed to the same size with less reserve and cranking power. In my case I intend to enlarge the tray area if needed when my current battery that came with the truck fails.
My reference to well-intentioned people refers to the times I've seen people put in say a 350-400 CCA as opposed to a 550-600 CCA battery (or larger) just to save $10 or $15. Bad trade-off in my opinion. Later they then have hard hot and or cold start problems (specially when the battery gets a little age on it) and at that point not only the battery suffers but all that hard starting is also hard on the engine, alternator, and starter. And on a thread relevant note the size and length of the battery and starter cables become more critical due to reduced available amperage to do the job.
In my case I tend to "shop" for a battery with not only the book of fitment and recomendations but also a tape measure and the fore-knowledge of having measured what I can make fit ahead of time all the while with a vigilant eye on CCA and reserve. I'll also switch from side to top terminal or vice versa if in so doing I can gain battery size and amps. Hence "the biggest that will (or can be made to) fit" statement. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I run a 700 CCA battery in mine.

It was a tight fit, but I can get it in and out of the battery tray.

I figured since I could get it in there, why not have the higher CCA battery?

I've done this since 2000 when I first got my truck and it's never hurt anything.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Rockrz wrote:I run a 700 CCA battery in mine.
Just what I was talkin bout! :thumb: Good on ya mate! :wink: You won't be disappointed. :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It will be interesting to see what you come up with when you finally try to do something.
It is easy to say you want a bigger tray and bigger battery , then reality of selection and space constraints put a stop to it.
The radiator limits a bigger battery, as does the hood and expansion tank.
There is little room for bigger. For the tiny space we have there are no batteries available to fill the voids.
34/78 is all we have to choose from unless you want to go with a smaller Odyssey. This is one case where smaller may be better. The dry cells do have advantages and are a much smaller package.

Be careful of ratings. There is not a uniform testing or reporting for all batteries. Check the temperature at which it is measured and duration. Most will not boast both and some neither.

The stickied thread on batteries is a good source of information.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I am currently running an Everstart MAXX 75N. Max CCA's @ 32F=825A Cold Crank Amps=690. I know this isn't the OEM battery (was in the truck when I bought it in 05 at 59k miles) but I have similiar in my other vehicles with CCA's ranging from 800-975A. BTW there is still a little room for expansion around the battery radiator and overflow tank. Not a large amount but some room. :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Corvette list wrote:Latest Consumer Reports for Group Size 75 batteries which are side
mounted terminals they list as follows:

Best to Worse

Nascar (Sams Club) Select 75-84N
ACDelco Professional 75-7YR
EverStart (Wal-Mart) MAXX - 75N
NAPA 84 Select 8475
Nascar XLT N75-N
Autocraft Silver 75-2
Nascar XLT N75-N
DieHard WeatherHandler 30375
Interstate Mega-Tron MT-75
DieHard WeatherHandler 30075

Group Size 34/78 which has terminals on top and side:

Best to Worse

EverStart MAXX 1N
Nascar XLT Performance Series NXDT34
ACDelco Professional 78DT-6YR
NAPA 84 Select 8434
DieHard SUV 39990
Kirkland Signature 12860 (North)
Kirkland Signature 12837 (South)
Nascar Select 78DT-84N
These are all flooded cell batteries. I had heard good things about the Yellow case Walmart battery. Thanks for confirming it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

You're welcome! Both my Buicks have the MAXX 1N in em with good results.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How is the leakage? I stick with AGM to eliminate the acid flooded cells emanate. Some are better than others. Napa batteries and Les Schwab are terrible. Interstate can be tolerable. AC Delco is great.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Very tolerable. I just raise the hood sometimes when washing the car and spray off the battery area. No corrosion problems I just like to keep the area clean as a pre-emptive measure.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

All I can advise it to steer clear of the optimas unless they have turned themselves around in the last few months. I hope they get their act together and remedy their problems. I'd go with a good Wallyworld battery if, I had to make a choice now.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Well, the maxx 75N Wally World battery finally died that was in my truck when I bought it so I installed MAXX 78N to replace it. (900CCA) Barely fit. Had to take radiator cap off while installing for clearance. No modifications were needed. Just a little update.