Relay "Buzzing"?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Relay "Buzzing"?

Post by F9K9 »

Went to start up my CC yesterday morning and the yellow top Optima was completely dead. I charged it up overnight with my battery disconnect switch turned off

This morning it reads 100% charged. I unhook the charger, turn the juice on and open the door to start it but, I hear a faint buzzing coming from the passenger side of the dash. I go out and throw the disconnect switch to off and go back to the cab to investigate. I still heard the faint buzzing and that freaked me for a moment until I recalled that the roof rack lights and LS1 e-fans are wired direct to my top posts on the battery. I unhooked the lights and the buzzing stopped. I haven't heard of a relay buzzing before and I haven't torn into it yet but, is it possible? :?:

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

yea...its mostly likly stuck
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

raven2510 wrote:yea...its mostly likly stuck
Great news, thanks! Those are high dollar relays that I waited for weeks to get them delivered. I hate electricity and friggin' ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Swap relays. Does the relay still buzz?

Usually they buzz with low voltage. It is possible to fail and buzz, but I do not know how or why off the top of my head.

Where am I going with this? Are your switches lighted? If so , any chance one has failed and is feeding voltage through the light back to your relay?

If swapping the relays results in the same buzz , try swapping switches.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule, I will try your recommended troubleshooting steps tomorrow or on Sunday. It should be simple enough, even for me. Thanks.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

If you have a local big rig truck parts store, you can get relays for a good price.

That's where I get mine...

And my 85 amp continuous duty solenoids for $15 :lol:

Which will work great for my trailer wiring ;)
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

drperry wrote:If you have a local big rig truck parts store, you can get relays for a good price..............................
No real big rig truck parts store but, have some major truck stops close by. I will scope them out in the future. Good tip, thanks! I have also found a lot of good info on Stu Olson's Jeep Site. He's probably the closest thing to our HenryJ that the heepers have available :lol: