Was this a good purchase and....?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Gonzzo
Regular
Regular

Was this a good purchase and....?

Post by Gonzzo »

I was wondering if this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 16561&rd=1 alternator i got was a good purchase for my 2003 BlaZeR2. I guess i should have asked before i got it but oh well.

I also wonder if it is totally necessary to replace the factory alternator charge wire?. The installation instructions state to replace the wire with a 4GA or better but i dont have time or $ to source one out right now.

Lastly, (this is a trivial ?) i have right now a set of march pulleys installed on the crank and the factory alternator along with a 91.5" serp. belt. My question is, Does anyone here know how much longer the new belt will have to be?...1" more... 2" more?.

Thanks for all the help.

Gonzzo.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Was this a good purchase and....?

Post by HenryJ »

Gonzzo wrote:I was wondering if this (Alterstart 96-04 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 5.3L, 8.1L ALTERNATOR 180 AMP) i got was a good purchase for my 2003 BlaZeR2.
Looks like a decent buy. That looks to be the same cheap Chinese case as the NAPA "lifetime" alternator I bought. You paid $100 less though. The fin count on that regulator look better. Should work well.
I also wonder if it is totally necessary to replace the factory alternator charge wire?.
It is not. Ours has a pretty good wire. six gauge will handle three times what that will put out for the length. Bigger is not a bad idea, but not critical. You can always add another one to the battery easy enough. That would be inexpensive.
i have right now a set of march pulleys installed on the crank and the factory alternator along with a 91.5" serp. belt. My question is, Does anyone here know how much longer the new belt will have to be?...1" more... 2" more?.
On your own there. Trial and error. Make sure to get it in the correct range for the idler. Too loose risks rubbing the lower hose. Too tight risks bearing or belt damage. There is a set of marks on the idler for the correct operating range.

On a side note you may find it necessary to ditch the underdrive crank pulley to maintain operating speeds for the alternator at idle rpm.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I think you're looking for 92.5 about 1 inch longer than current. Hard to find, you can go to autozone and price out a few different ones but 92.25 and 93 seem to be available. I was looking into it a while ago. That is if you switch and run the march pulley on the new alternator as well.

When you do switch pulleys and use your new alternator post how it works because I was thinking of doing the same by getting a larger alternator but did not want to sacrifice the pulleys. There was a thread on zr2 usa talking about this as well but I think most misunderstood, since the alternator is turned at stock speeds with the new pulleys it should work.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Gonzzo
Regular
Regular

Got it in...

Post by Gonzzo »

I installed the new alternator this passed weekend, it was a direct replacement fit. The serpentine belt needs to be 92.25" long. I got a goodyear gatorback, part # 4060922. Everything seems to be working. Ill report with any changes.

Thanks.

Gonzzo.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

You kept the march pulleys right? If so, how's the charging level so far? What volts does it seem to run at in a hot idle?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page