Question - Quadbeam Headlight Mod

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Question - Quadbeam Headlight Mod

Post by Rockrz »

I saw the thred at http://www.s-10crewcab.com/~henryj/quad.html about this, but isn't there an aftermarket wiring plugin that does this?

I could have sworn that there is an aftermarket part that you can buy and simply plug in somewhere to do this.

Anybody ever see this, if so where?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Question - Quadbeam Headlight Mod

Post by F9K9 »

Rockrz wrote:I saw the thred at http://www.s-10crewcab.com/~henryj/quad.html about this, but isn't there an aftermarket wiring plugin that does this?

I could have sworn that there is an aftermarket part that you can buy and simply plug in somewhere to do this.

Anybody ever see this, if so where?
Summit Racing.com if,you have the bucks to spend $40 versus $5.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Thanks. I wanted to checkout the plugins and see if they look more secure and easier to lube with a little lithium grease when plugging in so I might be able to expect to never have to mess with it again.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I do not believe there is a kit that will work for our trucks as we have reduced intensity high beam day time running lights.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Like I said. Check the mod page. The purple wire does not work with high DRL. Not to mention why would you want to pay $70 (handling) for $10 worth of parts.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I prefer something that simply plugs in and works as opposed to me trying to piece something together.

I was hoping this unit would work as advertised, since it's reasonable to believe that if a company advertises something to work a certain way, then it ought to work since they'd have a hard time staying in business selling things that don't work like they say they do.

75% of anything I spend on my truck for repairs is a tax write off due to being used for business 75% of the time. Besides, $70 isn't much.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

In the mod description at http://www.s-10crewcab.com/~henryj/quad.html, it says you'll need an "automotive relay"

What specific part number do you ask for down at the parts store?
There's a bunch of different "automotive relays" on the market, so which one does this mod call for, specifically?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:I prefer something that simply plugs in and works as opposed to me trying to piece something together.

I was hoping this unit would work as advertised, since it's reasonable to believe that if a company advertises something to work a certain way, then it ought to work since they'd have a hard time staying in business selling things that don't work like they say they do.
Don't believe me. Buy it and give it a shot. It still uses crimp on splices and is exactly the same as the mod page. The problem is that they tap the purple wire. You will find that to cause problems with your DRL since we have the reduced intensity DRL with a rotating ground.

Buy it. Prove me wrong. I have been wrong before and will not mind you proving it works. Quit talking and step up ;)
Rockrz wrote:In the mod description at http://www.s-10crewcab.com/~henryj/quad.html, it says you'll need an "automotive relay"

What specific part number do you ask for down at the parts store?
Any 12 volt relay will work. You choose. Some are less expensive than others. The most common is a simple DPDT relay. SPST will do all you need as well. Any part number I give would be specific to a brand rather than style. When I say this can be done with any relay, I mean it. Give me a starter solenoid and I can tell you how to make that work. I would suggest getting one smaller and that would work in the electrical center of your truck should the need arise.
If you need to know more about a relay and how it works try 12volt.com or check out the many threads here on relays.

Walk in to any auto parts store and ask them for a relay to run lights and I bet they do not need to look up a part number.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

OK, well if tapping into the purple wire is going to cause problems then I don't want to do that. My first goal is to avoid problems.

It's strange that this company selling this unit doesn't know this.
Seems like they would have discovered their error and fixed
it by now so their product doesn't cause problems.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:OK, well if tapping into the purple wire is going to cause problems then I don't want to do that. My first goal is to avoid problems.

It's strange that this company selling this unit doesn't know this.
Seems like they would have discovered their error and fixed
it by now so their product doesn't cause problems.
Their product does work. You will have quad beam headlamps.
You will also now have daytime running lights that are no longer a reduced intensity and have quad beam DRL as well.

This works just fine for those with low beam DRL. They really don't need a relay at all, but $70 when a litle solder and liquid tape will do the same thing is up to the buyer.
It will also work just fine with those who do not have the reduced intensity DRL.

That means that the vehicles that WILL have a problem with this kit are mostly just the crew cab trucks. We know more about them than they ever will.

There is a very good and very long thread on what we went through to get the quad beam mod working properly. It is a good read if you have time.

Can their kit be made to work, YES. Easy as switching which wire they tap. If anyone is that desperate, drop me a PM. I will put to gether a kit for $50 shipped and smile at the profit. I would really rather you invest a little of your time to get things together and do the install. The satisfaction is priceless and we get another fisherman in our group ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Just to chime in, at first this sounded complicated to me. There are lots of relays available, NAPA was out of the cheapies and I paid about $12. Oh well, little wire and crimps and good to go. It was much easier than expected. Just mess around and it isn't hard. Did you want to just have quads? DRL disable as well? to combine the two you just splice the different wire. This task was much easier than I thought at first trust me. Not worth the extra $$ when you could do the whole thing for under $15 easy.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

NO, I don't want to disable the DRL as it is a safety thing that is of benefit.

I'll probably go this route when I get around to doing this.

I've got other priorities as far as things I'm wanting to do to the truck, mainly maintenance such as plugs, cap rotor, tranny service, fuel filter, electric fans, etc.

I just want all 4 lights to come on when I hit the brights driving at night.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I did the mod sometime back and got all four lights on DRL with High beams in low watts, at night all four on High beams High watts, Low beam setting, Low beam lights on only.Sometimes I think about not really needing DRL so I just turn them all off by tapping the overide button four times after I put it in gear. Oh Yah ! I only used a 12" piece of wire that cost me a big investment of 35 cents at ACE hardware. NO RELAY. 8) :shock: