Idea for Double Din radio space

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Idea for Double Din radio space

Post by Rockrz »

I've been thinking about what to do with my '03 truck as far as getting a new CD/Radio. My OE unit isn't MP3/WMA so it's gotta go.

So, since most of the aftermarket decks are single din and my truck's opening is double din...I'm thinking, why can't I install a nice single din deck in the bottom portion, and the Scan Gauge Automotive Computer in the upper portion of this space?

That way, the space won't look retarded by having a single din unit in such a big space. Seems like the Scan Guage is about the height of a cd/radio deck so this should be doable with a little redneck engineering to make the Scan Guage fit into it's space and look nice and tight.

Has anyone done this yet?
If so, please let me know as I'd like to see pics if they're available.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Well, wish me luck guys...cause I just committed by ordering parts for what I want to do.

I called Crutchfield and order everything needed (wiring adapter, and antenna adapter) to install the JVC KD-HDW10, which was onsale.

I got the double DIN setup that looks like this...

I'm going to see if I can mount the cd player in the bottom section, and then mount the scan guage in the upper section.

Before I get to any of that though, I'm going to install these Pyle 6.5 speakers in the door, and disable the OEM dash speakers...

Then, I'm going to build a small speaker box for the back floor board using the spare tire jack bolt down to hold the box securely in place (I'll be relocating the jack elswhere), and in it I'm going to mount these Pyle 7x10 speakers...

All these parts won't be in till late next week, or the week after so it'll be a while before I get my speaker box built, and speaker wire run under the carpet up behind the dash where I'm ready to start the dash install.

But, I'll post it all once I'm done. I know it'll work, it's just a matter of making it look nice in the dash cosmetically. That'll be the trick