keyless push-button start?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

keyless push-button start?

Post by Guitar831 »

"Commencing countdown, engine's on"

You've seen the commercial, right? Cool, isn't it? How easy, or hard, would it be to convert the ignition key switch for a S10/Blazer/Crew Cab to keyless push-button start? I mean come on now. It's the twenty-first century. The key is obsolete. Door locks and hatches/trunks are locked/unlocked, opened using the remote on all vehicles since the 90's. Even most glove boxes today don't include locks like they used to. I can't remember when the last time I used the key for anything other than the ignition switch. Can you? The only thing that puzzles me about the Lincold MKS is how to use accessories like radio, windows, windshield wipers, etc. without starting the engine.

But just like the Ford innovation, the security measure would also have to apply here. You wouldn't want just anybody to hop inside your ride and take off at the push of a button. <---Was that a pun? The remote fob would have to be with the driver inside the vehicle before the engine would start from the push button.

"Check ig-nition and may God's love be with you
This is ground control to Major Tom, you've really made the grade!"
[size=75]Guitar831[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Ground Control to Major Tom

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Guitar831 wrote:The only thing that puzzles me about the Lincold MKS is how to use accessories like radio, windows, windshield wipers, etc. without starting the engine.
In cars with the push button start, you must hold the brake down for it to actually start the car. If you hit the button without touching the brake, it then turns on your accessories. Most of the Mercedes vehicles have this feature and most of the Nissan products do now too.

But would it really be worth all of the time, effort, and money to convert an S10 to a keyless pushbutton start? Really, how hard is it to reach into your pocket and pull out your keys? I think if you added up the all of the times it takes for you to pull your keys out of your pocket, that amount of time wouldn't nearly come as close as the time it takes to research and install such a system in an S10. I would just wait until I was ready to sell the S10 and buy a new car that has this feature from the factory.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Actually, I don't think it would be all that difficult to implement a secure "push button" ignition in our S10's... The secure part is available with off the shelf technology, using RFID tags which you could clip to your key ring. Mount a RFID unit near or under the seat so when you plop in the captain's chair and push the button you get ignition...

Another possibility is to look into the remote start kits. I have never personally looked at one, so I'm not sure what mod's (if any) would be needed.

As to the "why do it?" Because this is America (at least for now) and we can! Sorry, just had a bit of a Mind of Mencia moment, where the Russian's just use a pencil to write in space but we spent $xxxxxxxxx.xx to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: keyless push-button start?

Post by Rockrz »

Guitar831 wrote:You've seen the commercial, right? Cool, isn't it? How easy, or hard, would it be to convert the ignition key switch for a S10/Blazer/Crew Cab to keyless push-button start?
Question is...why???
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: keyless push-button start?

Post by Guitar831 »

Rockrz wrote:Question is...why???
Did you even read my post? The answer is somewhere between "twenty-first century" and " door locks and hatches/trunks"......

Still want to know why? Click here
[size=75]Guitar831[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

So, using keys to start a vehicle is obsolete?

That's too bad to hear, but I'll continue using my keys :wink: