Underhood mounted reel light

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Underhood mounted reel light

Post by Rockrz »

I searched and couldn't find a thred that mentioned what I'm wanting to know...

I was looking at the page about the Underhood mounted reel light
at http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/modinfo/rlight.html
and I think this would be a very helpful thing to have.

But, I didn't see in the write up anything about where this
reel light came from.

What vehicle did these come on originally?
I'd need to know that so I could try to find one.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

OK, I'll check Rock Auto and GM Parts direct and see if they might have new ones by chance...since my new '03 is virtually new (it actually looks like a brand new truck)

Hopefully if I can find a new one it won't cost an arm & a leg...
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Just got one off of eBay for $29.99
that they said was "in real good condition"

I guess I'll find out when it gets here....
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Rockrz,

I really like this idea. I checked with LMC truck and they want $60 bucks for the reel light. $29 was a bargain if it was in the shape they claimed. Did you get this mounted? Was it in good shape?
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

You should be able to find a good workable light for under the hood at a salvage yard. Ford also had these as an option in the 70s and 80s and 90s. Might be worth a look see and don't rule out other OEMs or cars either. My .02 worth.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

'80s Cherokees (the small ones, commonly called XJs have them too) but, most of any older stuff was crushed and sold as scrap when the prices were high.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am not aware of any others that have a reel light under the hood. Are you two saying there are?

The reel light has a cord and magnetic base. It is a 12 volt underhood trouble light.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I am not aware of any others that have a reel light under the hood. Are you two saying there are?

The reel light has a cord and magnetic base. It is a 12 volt underhood trouble light.
The Cherokee's did not have a magnetic base. They were attached with fasteners. I may have spoken inappropriately.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:The Cherokee's did not have a magnetic base. They were attached with fasteners. I may have spoken inappropriately.
Do they also have an extendable cord and reel to stow the light? Or are they just a fixed mount under hood light?

I think these guys were looking for the under hood reel light that acts as a trouble light. Movable to where ever you want it and then reel in the cord to stow it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:......................... A coworker drives an '87, with a reel type hood light, and I will look at his in the morning.
It was definitely a reel type. Why not just invest $15 in a head lamp style led lighting system and toss it in the tool pr clove box? This getting way to complicated for me. :lol:
Last edited by F9K9 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Early 90's Oldsmobiles like the Cutlass also have the under hood reel light. :wink:

My Grandfather has a 93 Cutlass with same light.

Steve
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

I think this sounds like a great exuse for a trip to the old salvage yard for some ideas and hopefully a lucky find! Thanks for the input! :)
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

A quick search for under hood light on E-bay also reveals some of these for sale.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Gotta mention I put one of those reel lights down by the inner fender and it is handy. But I also put a regular under-hood light, mounted to bottom side of hood, that comes on every time you raise the hood. Got it off ebay.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

okie s10 wrote:I also put a regular under-hood light, mounted to bottom side of hood, that comes on every time you raise the hood.
What did you search eBay for, S10 underhood light?

And, is there a switch or some thing that switches
the light on when you open the hood?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Most (not all) under-hood lights are mercury switch activated. There are a few that are tied into the park light circuit which can be handy whether or not they are switch activated. Not so handy if you want the lights off while wanting the engine compartment illuminated. On my stock 01 the under-hood light comes on day or night but is on a computer controlled circuit (or perhaps a timer) so if left open for long periods of time it shuts off. And no I have not timed it to see how long it stays on.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:Most (not all) under-hood lights are mercury switch activated...
Tilt or angle activated might be a better description. The hazardous material mercury has been removed from the manufacture for switches of this type.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

My '96 truck came with one from the factory so I'll
probably take that off and put it on my '03 truck.

I'm giving the '96 truck to my wife's son so I'll buy
him a flashlight in case he needs to look under the
hood after the sun goes down :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I snagged a reel light and under hood light from my 89 Silverado. Just waiting till spring to clean them up and get them installed.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Yep, I got a nice reel light too from a Surburban.
I'm going to eventually install that one too, but
I also want the one that comes on by itself
on the back side of the hood.

That's how the one on my '96 works.
There's no visable switch or anything so it must
be one of those mercury setups.
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Scouted around one of the local salvage yards and found a reel light on a 96 Chevy truck. Got it for $1.50 along with a composite T-case skid plate that only set me back $10. I've got plans for both but the T-case is for another topic. :thumb:

The reel light is in great shape and still has the pig tail so it will be easy to wire up. It was attached to the passenger side of the engine compartment right over the wheel well. I almost missed it because I was looking more at the firewall. I found a second one but it was missing the pig tail and the light fixture itself. Now I have to find the install time. :roll:
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

BTW, I like this option over a flashlight or LED Headlamp. There never seems to be enough space in the interior storage compartments and just as soon as you find the dire need for a moveable light in the engine compartment that is when you find out the wife needed to use the flashlight and took it out of the truck to locate her chapstick she dropped in the snow and then took the flashlight into the house. :roll:
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Rich K. wrote:that is when you find out the wife needed to use the flashlight and took it out of the truck to locate her chapstick
Yeah, when I was a kid my dad got mad alot and frequently he would
say, "that just chaps my *ss"

Me and my brother used to laugh when we would imagine that
he needed to get a great big container of Chapstick to apply to
his chapped back side :lol:

I guess you just had to be there...
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Re: Underhood mounted reel light

Post by Rich K. »

A big ol' tub of Carmex! Now that is funny! :lol: