Quad Beam Headlight Mod

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: This is working for my 2001-

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:Did some quick testing this morning and made the change-
This is also working for my 2001-
{DESC.}
Now just need one of the 2003's to try it.
Looking good. I need to try this one day. Maybe when I get the rest of the mods on the truck and finally replace that odd wheel nut..... ;)

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

All the stressing/rushing to get this mod working for the newer models and no one trys it? :roll:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I have mine done HenryJ's original on my 2000 s-10 - I have caught my DRL's turning on the lowbeams 2 times

One day I coldnt test it (wasn't stopped behind a shiny enough car to tell if they were on or not--but it seemed like they were)

so I have checked them several times like in my driveway, and they seem to work normally...

Yesterday leaving work I pull in behing a Wildlife and Fisheries truck and sure enough, I have DRL's on and the other bulb is lit up as well.

I pushed my e-brake in one detent to turn the DRL's off, and then released it and when the lights came back on, all I had were my DRL's.

then I manually turned the headlamps on,a nd the quadbeams were working, and then turned them off, and DRL's worked normally. Guess it's a random kinda thing.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:I have mine done HenryJ's original on my 2000 s-10 - I have caught my DRL's turning on the lowbeams 2 times...
Bizarre, maybe I just never caught mine doing the same thing? Or I'm just not very observant ;)

Try making the switch, disconnect the purple and ground that relay terminal.

I'd really like to see if this works for everyone!

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I'll do it this weekend sometime. Seems more depemdable so you arent relying on one of the wires that has a revolving potential.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

a 1,000 appologies :?

I did it and it works fine on my '03. Quads working, AHL working, DRL working :oops:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

marks10cc wrote:a 1,000 appologies :?

I did it and it works fine on my '03. Quads working, AHL working, DRL working :oops:
Great! :thumb:

Funny how when there is a problem there are two pages of posts, but when a solution is posted , we are lucky to get two posts that it worked :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

marks10cc wrote:a 1,000 appologies :?

which way did you wire it?

thanks.
con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote:
marks10cc wrote:I did it and it works fine on my '03. Quads working, AHL working, DRL working :oops:
which way did you wire it?
The new improved method ;)
Tach's cab quadbeam mod page wrote: Image

Splice tap the green w/white wire (high beam +) attach to relay "activate +"(#85) , Splice tap the yellow wire attach to relay feed (Normally Open #30) , attach a wire ,or wires, to a good ground and connect it to the relay supply (#87) and to relay "activate - " (#86).
working on 2000 (soon), 2001, and 2003. Now all we need is a 2002 :idea: and we'll have all the models to date covered.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

HenryJ wrote:Great! :thumb:

Funny how when there is a problem there are two pages of posts, but when a solution is posted , we are lucky to get two posts that it worked :)
Yeah, that's my fault. I got my truck back from the dealer on Tuesday and did the mod that night. Didn't get to see if the DRL's worked or not until Thursday morning. Now I gotta take it back into the dealer. They fixed the transmission without doing any work on it (why do they insist on saying they didn't do anything when there's clear evidence they did). I think my TCCM is shot. I can't shift into 4hi... just 2hi and 4lo :(

I would have finished this mod sooner, but I'm now on a fast track to turn this thing in as a lemon. My transfer case and transmission find new ways to misbehave every week now... 6 service visits in 2 weeks. 4 were TSB's (you can find them on that GM tech site, that's where I got the headlight wiring diagram). BTW, if your looking for TSB's, don't always go by the vehicle make, year, etc. There's a TSB about installing a cap for the power supply to the servo to gaurantee it 12 volts which is for all M30 transmissions, but the S-10 and Blazer are not listed, typo?
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

High 4

Post by KCustom »

I did this mod to my 2003...I made my connections on the bottom side of the fuse box to get the relay up higher and keep it away from water and mud. Neg triger to turn on the low when hi is on. Works great! I got my power for the relay from the factory head light relay output....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:
Splice tap the green w/white wire (high beam +) attach to relay "activate +"(#85) , Splice tap the yellow wire attach to relay feed (Normally Open #30) , attach a wire ,or wires, to a good ground and connect it to the relay supply (#87) and to relay "activate - " (#86).
Alrighty, read through this. And with this "newer" method, you don't even mess with the purple wire at all? right?

And with the #87 and #86 being a ground, can I just make a single ground wire, then splice into with the second wire to have a Y-type ground wire?
(electrical stuff is definantly not my thing, I can wing it, but always afraid ill get something backwards and blow something up, lol)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:...........(electrical stuff is definantly not my thing,................
Hmmmmmmmmm, I resemble that remark. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

:thumb:

lol f9k9. I think im a bet more able with wiring then I think. Now that i think back on it I have done a lot of wiring, moe complicated things with sep by step directions, but did em ;)
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

okay, last dumb question....

"You will need to take the left headlight assembly..."

Are you only doing this mod to the drivers side? So what im asking, you dont have to do it for both headlights? :oops:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Okay nevermind :)

I wasnt sure if it was the passanger or drivers side i needed to do... it just said left. Depends on which end your looking at it from :lol:

Actually it cost me $22 for all the wiring stuff at advance... that stuff isnt cheap... $5 for a spool of 30' wire is rediculous.

Got it all wired up, granted it took my longer then 10 minutes like some speed demons here :P

Turned on the low beam,, gooood.

High beam,,, failure! Just the high beam...

So i started twisting wires for a bad connection and wha la, the lows came on. So i pushed down harder on the splice connector with pliers, and it seems to be fine!

Interesting note... I dont think I have DRLs? I mean i have an 03,,, so i know I do.. but they never came on... I keep my overhead dome light off, so i thought the 3 push button trick there might kick em on, and they didnt.. so ill have to find out whats up there. but I dont really care either way.

Now that I think about it... I have my lights set to auto... so i bet thats why they dont come on..?

But unless the connections breaks.. its working for me!

Thanks for the mod info, from 6 years ago Brule :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do your self a favor and throw away those scotch locks. Go back and solder everything.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hm, I might do that later if I have issues. For now its done, its hot, more humid/muggy then hot. lol. Or if I get bored this fall ill do it, lol. I too am a big fan of solder joints. Solderig is one thing I do pretty well. I wired up about 5 "homebrew" trail cameras (for taking pictures of deer and wildlife). anyways...

Oh my DRL question, vehicles has to be out of park :oops: :lol:

Can't wait to try em out tonight.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do it right the first time. You will have problems. Believe me. Then you will find more reason not to fix it. Strike while the iron is hot.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Believe Brule, you WILL have trouble with the Scotchlocks. I speak from experience, with 33 years with the WV DOH as a mechanic, I can tell you that trouble is just around the corner.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Alrighty, ill get on that soon. Never had a problem with em before, but they were never outside of the vehicle.

Quick question... had a buddy put my vehilce in drive, so i could make sure the DRLs were working. Never paid it any attention. But the DRLs are the highbeams but just MUCH less bright?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol, aight. I thought something was messed up, I expected the low beam to be the DRL. I couldn't check the lighting functions alone before I got started :lol: (Without getting run over)

Next nice day I'll solder the joints. Thanks for the tip.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:........Next nice day I'll solder the joints. Thanks for the tip.
Just ask Brule how he knows about the scotch locks. :lol: They WILL FAIL! I have got to learn how to solder correctly and go over a bunch of my stuff. I have redone my rear aux back up lights and my quad mod several times. Even coating the scotch locks with liquid tape doesn't help!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Did my Quad-Mod 2 years ago with scotch locks, no failure. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Horsehammerr wrote:Did my Quad-Mod 2 years ago with scotch locks, no failure. 8)
Mark your calender form this date. Run to your local dollar generic store and pick up a large jar of the generic petroleum jelly. You're gonna need it! You have officially offended the Murphy's Law demons. Practice bending over and touching your toes.

You may never admit it publicly but, it's coming. :wink:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Horsehammer, from my experience, if you are in much salt, your splices are on borrowed time. Heat shrink splices, or solder and uncured rubber is the way to go.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Yeah, ill have to agree you should knock on wood, lol.

I tried it out tonight on dimly lit streets, huge differance. Now once I actually try it out on a country road ill know what kind of real differance it makes, but glad I did this mod now. I saw it on the mod page but always wrote it off as something I didn't want to mess with.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I hear you Reed. I do own a soldering gun and would have used it the day I did the mod, but got side tracked waiting for dark to check it out. I use the big gun to fight demons. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

edit. nevermind. I found this place for my buddy with an 08 sierra,

http://www.mrtaillight.com/product_info ... 67fd0de14b

They even have an s10 kit for $13 also... had I known that before hand, I might have just got it. I paid $22 for the stuff from advance to do mine. Granted im sure we had the stuff, but finding it was the pain.
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Re: Quad Beam Headlight Mod

Post by Smallblock »

I did this to my 02 blazer last week. I thought it was working as planned but today I realized my highbeams are on with my drls. I just grounded the yellow wire. What did I do wrong?
'02 2dr 2wd 5 speed Blazer (new daily driver)
'82 S10 383ci (neglected toy:(
'92 Sonoma 4.3 auto (For sale)
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

No,..didn't use a relay. I thought my blazer had low beam DRLs so all I had to do was ground the yellow wire?
Would installing the relay fix my problem?
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Smallblock wrote:...........Would installing the relay fix my problem?
Yes, it will. It's been a number of years but, I do remember that this should be done on the driver's side. I grounded the same wire that you did and had the same result.
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

its a 20/30a relay heavy enough?
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Smallblock wrote:its a 20/30a relay heavy enough?
Yep
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

I got my relay wired up and it didn't work. I'm guessing I need to swap wire 30 and wire 87.
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Smallblock wrote: I'm guessing I need to swap wire 30 and wire 87.
Bad guess. Swapping those will change nothing.
Check your grounds and make sure that you solder the connections that were tapped. Do not use scotch-locs. Crimp connectors are a mistake.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

Finally had time to tackle this again today. Ditched the crimp on connecters and just soldered and shrink wrapped my wires instead...works now. :)
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you do enable the DRL, that purple wire is going to have all four lights on during DRL operation. That is why I switched to the green/white wire. IIRC

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So, I let me get this straight...
HenryJ wrote:
By "splice tap" you are referring to using a scotch lock to basically "Y" off of the green/white and yellow wires, connecting them to the relay, and grounding the other 2 terminals on the relay?

And I see no mention of an '04 model?
HenryJ wrote:
working on 2000 (soon), 2001, and 2003. Now all we need is a 2002 and we'll have all the models to date covered.
I'm planning to do this tomorrow at some point.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Solder and heat shrink or liquid tape. Save the headache that is scotch locks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

:rock: whoa! That was fast Brule! Lol

Yea those things are junk. But that's the concept, correct?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yup.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Thank you! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

It all seemed to be working just fine. :rock:

Although, my lady friend says it took me longer than 10 minutes. She is a champ, though. She sat in the truck while I was doing all the wiring.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sweet. Now swap the highs to the lows with a trim and install a pair of Toshiba HIR in the highs for some real light.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I did that a while back when I had a low beam go out. 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

All set :rock:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Alright I'm bringing this thread back up because I can get the Quad Beam Mod to work with the DRLs enabled as shown in the MODs page on this site.

Now my question is, has anyone done the Quad Beam Mod and also disabling the DRLs? I understand I need to reroute pin 86 on the relay to the high beam negative (purple wire), but what I am trying to understand is I keep seeing mention of a DRL relay behind the brake pedal under the carpet that I cannot locate for the life of me. I've tore all the carpet back and pulled a lot of the electrical tape apart and still have yet to find it. I have only found 1 picture that the link was still alive and it clearly shows where it should be, but I do not have it. I have an '02 crew and am wondering if this relay they used to put in the carpet is not the relay in the fuse box under the hood now? Anyone have any experience doing both of these mods? Thanks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

LoneWolf04 wrote:Alright I'm bringing this thread back up because I can get the Quad Beam Mod to work with the DRLs enabled as shown in the MODs page on this site.

Now my question is, has anyone done the Quad Beam Mod and also disabling the DRLs? I understand I need to reroute pin 86 on the relay to the high beam negative (purple wire), but what I am trying to understand is I keep seeing mention of a DRL relay behind the brake pedal under the carpet that I cannot locate for the life of me. I've tore all the carpet back and pulled a lot of the electrical tape apart and still have yet to find it. I have only found 1 picture that the link was still alive and it clearly shows where it should be, but I do not have it. I have an '02 crew and am wondering if this relay they used to put in the carpet is not the relay in the fuse box under the hood now? Anyone have any experience doing both of these mods? Thanks
I've run this mod for almost ten yrs. That "under the brake relay" thing is for ZR2s. I can tell you that all the work is done on the driver's side headlight. A relay is required but, you need to provide the relay.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

F9K9 wrote:
LoneWolf04 wrote:Alright I'm bringing this thread back up because I can get the Quad Beam Mod to work with the DRLs enabled as shown in the MODs page on this site.

I've run this mod for almost ten yrs. That "under the brake relay" thing is for ZR2s. I can tell you that all the work is done on the driver's side headlight. A relay is required but, you need to provide the relay.
I have the quad beam working with the automatic headlights disabled just fine by using the relay out by the headlight. My hope was that the relay by the brake I could tap into which would 1) disable the factory DRLs and 2) hook up a different set of lights to run off the relay as the DRLs in place of the factory.

It seems after doing some more investigation. People have been removing the grounding wire out of the BCM for the DRL to disable them. Which in turn, I could substitute my own ground wire for another light system into that slot and have it work how I want it.
rockinjranch
Regular
Regular

Post by rockinjranch »

Tach's cab quadbeam mod page wrote:

noticed last night that my high beams are on full intensity for DRL when shifted to Drive, go out in Park. how strange , I have my DRL's disconnected at the relay (removed) jumper wire between 30 and 87a to maintain the closed circuit, thinking I either need to remove the jumper or connect the purple to 86 instead of ground.......................Any takers on this
02, AHL disabled, DRL disabled(H.B. low intensity) quad mod wired with 86 & 87 to ground
rockinjranch
Regular
Regular

Post by rockinjranch »

the last paragraph is mine,i meant to put the first in quotes Keith
carguypat

Post by carguypat »

This response is mostly for the google searchers. When I first started trying to figure out the mod I used this thread to figure it out. When I did it I made a video. I know it would have been much easier for me If I had this video when I did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0djDnpvEo
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Very nice and should be very helpful. I am sure reading through they will sort out the differences that the reduced intensity DRL throw into the mix :) Not a big deal to run full power DRL all the time I guess :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK