RDS question

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

blks10
Crew
Crew

RDS question

Post by blks10 »

So the guy at best buy told me that I need to buy a $150 wiring harness for the $100 pioneer head unit i want because I have RDS in my truck. Is this true? Or do I need to go back there and lay him out?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I suspect that there's been a little bit of a misunderstanding here. This very likely resulted from a poor choice of words.

First "RDS":
RDS stands for Radio Data System. RDS tuners can automatically tune in stations according to the style of music (or talk) they broadcast. Some RDS tuners can even break in with traffic alerts or emergency broadcasts when you're listening to a CD. RDS enables your receiver to display text messages (usually call letters and format info) that many FM stations include on a subcarrier signal within their normal broadcast signal.

Thanks to crutchfield.com for very well articulated definition.
No, you don't "need" a special harness because you have RDS. RDS is a function of the head unit that does not depend on the vehicle it's wired into.

This salesperson may not have been intentionally misguiding you, however. A great many vehicles with RDS capable stereo systems also tie all "in car" audio to the stereo, door chimes and the like will no longer function without properly connected wiring. It is merely a coincidence that these functions happen to be in the vehicle and are related to the stereo. They're not interdependent. While a great many of those vehicles are produced by GM, our s10 & sonoma crewcabs do NOT depend on the stereo wiring for these other systems.

So, no you don't "need" to spend 1.5x the price of the radio to make the radio play music in your truck.

In any event, if we went around laying out everyone that ever tried to sell a product that they did not know every detail of, well there'd be a lot of laid out people. I suspect that this person had genuinely good intentions but maybe wasn't quite as all knowing as he/she thought.

*Edit: That wiring harness probably makes the install a whole lot easier/faster though.
Last edited by barch97 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Well said...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

thanks for the info. You really think I am goin to walk in there and hit the guy? It was a joke
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

trying not to hijack

Post by jedthrocornpone »

ok so is there a easy way to "piggy back" a after market head unit to a factory unit?

I ask as the Mrs. new (to us) van has a nice RDS unit and rear seat controls but I really love the Kenwood USB models (I have one in the 2 other rigs and one in the work truck) There is a big cubby hole with a door on it close to the floor I;d want to mount the second head unit.

...............hijack over................
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

blks10 wrote:thanks for the info. You really think I am goin to walk in there and hit the guy? It was a joke
I've been to best buy, it's hard to say what your intentions might be. :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: trying not to hijack

Post by barch97 »

jedthrocornpone wrote:ok so is there a easy way to "piggy back" a after market head unit to a factory unit?

I ask as the Mrs. new (to us) van has a nice RDS unit and rear seat controls but I really love the Kenwood USB models (I have one in the 2 other rigs and one in the work truck) There is a big cubby hole with a door on it close to the floor I;d want to mount the second head unit.

...............hijack over...............
hmm... I don't know about that. I'm sure you could probably install the second unit and wire it into the existing power and speakers without removing the oem system but that's kinda asking for trouble and blown fuses if not blown speakers. There may be a way to synchronize the two systems but I wouldn't know where to begin.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I didn't get a chance to look this up for you at work today but one of these for ~$15 will make your install go a whole lot smoother. Splice all your wires inside on the kitchen table. then bring it out to the truck and plug into the oem wire harness.