New radio

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

New radio

Post by DLP »

Took the day off to go turkey hunting. Came up at noon to find the Fed-ex driver dropping off my new radio. Spent the rest of the afternoon installing it. The install went pretty good. I made new mounts for it instead of using the snap in cage. It has a touch screen am/fm radio, cd/dvd with 7" screen, bluetooth, TV and GPS. This thing has multipal inputs and outputs. You can have duel moniters in the back seat and use the GPS up front at the same time. You can even add a back-up camera and view it on the screen. I did have 1 little problem with the install. After I got it all done and the tools put away, the heater blower didn't work. I got the tools back out and tore the dash back off. After checking the fuses first of course. I'am not dumb. I'am stupid! I didn't turn both the heater control and the blower knobs on. A few choce words were spoken. Its been a long day. Now I need to read the users manual.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_5016.jpg
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Very nice. Looks like a clean install.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

sweet man. any pics?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Click the one linked in his post above ^^

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I took a couple more pictures today witout using the flash. The install did come out pretty clean. I had to cut out the piece of dash between the stock radio and the heater controls. I have a piece of edge trim to make it look a little straighter. I will install it when I connect the TV antenna and digital reciever. I have a very compact Craig digital TV reciever that fits in the bottom of the console. I have a 110 inverter in there too. I like being able to tilt the screen up. But I don't care for having to drop the screen to insert a cd/dvd.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 5025-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_5027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_5029.jpg
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

sweet dude looks good, n clean
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have been really diggin on the new radio. But the speakers didn't do it justice. So today I installed 6 new tri-ax speakers. They are not the top-notch expensive brand. But they do sound a lot better than the stockers. The 880 watt amp didn't hurt the set-up either!. I took the glovebox out and mounted the amp in the opening. It gets lots of air. I then made a metal cover that covers the door opening. 4 screws and it comes off. 2 more screws and the amp comes out. I can then get to the back of the radio without having to pull the dash. I am really happy with it all. I will miss the glovebox storage area. But I have ideas for that too. I will get pictures after I get the matching gray vynail (sp) streached and glued to the new cover.
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

Can we get a run down of the price list in this set up.

I have been thinking of upgrading to something like that with new sound all around as well. I have come across some deals on ebay but am always skeptical about buying electronics I can't pull from a new package.

Pics of the glove box set up yet?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Niceeee. Not sure if I would want something that extravagant (im sure if i think about it I would, lol). But sweeeeet. Pics of the glove box set up? that sounds very interesting.

The stupid metal part of the antenna that plugs into the radio is hitting the radio when I hit bumps.. I need to pull the dash and fix that. Shouldnt take 15 minutes but its one of those jobs you keep putting off :lol:
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

You don't need to pull the dash to get to the antenna feed. Drop the glove box door and the antenna cable is right there at the bottom. It is sheathed in a foam cover. Like a mini pool float noodle. You can reach in and move the cable.

I haven't finished the glove box door yet. I had the metal cover on. But it holds in too much heat. So I just have the amp there in the opening. I need to get off my arse and finish it.

I did add a reverse camera to the radio the other day. It's pretty cool for loading the trailers. I got a good reversing color one. I plan on adding a couple more and making a rocker switch panel to control them one at a time.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

hmm, ill try that.

but pulling the dash isnt an issue either. remove the two screws at the cluster, and pop it out. Thats it. I got real good at doing that with my old s-10, I think i replaced a busted radio with a new Alpine in 10 minutes once, lol. but ill try your trick ;)
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

My dash has 1 screw above the cluster, just above the clear plastic. 2 more on the bottom panel below the column. One by the emg brake lever and one below the gear shift lever. There are also 2 more on the bottom of the top dash panel under the lip of the lower panel on both sides of the stearing column. Pulling the 4X4 plug and the head light plug lets the dash come out. The top of the dash pops up off the dash frame. It also pops out and then off around the radio. Hope that helps.