Snow bear plow light hook up

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Snow bear plow light hook up

Post by bradjh »

I have a snow bear snow plow on my truck and i need to put plow lights on what is the best way to tap into the headlights etc..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Add a relay as shown for the Quadbeam

Tap the marker light wire and attach to relay "activate +"(#85) , Attach your lights to (Normally Open #30) , run an appropriate size wire to the battery and connect it to the relay supply (#87) last will be to supply the relay. If you used the positive wire from the marker light , then this will need to be grounded. If you used the ground to activate the relay then this can be jumpered to the + battery supply (#86).

If your plow lights are dual filament (high-low) you will need to add another relay. Tap into the green w/white wire (high beam +) attach to relay "activate +"(#85)
That way they will function using your stock in cab controls.

Add an appropriately sized fuse at the battery for the loads.
This table is a great reference: http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

Use it to determine the load (convert watts 12v to amps 12v). Use it to determine wire size for the length used.

Solder and heat shrink all connections.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Snow bear plow light hook up

Post by F9K9 »

bradjh wrote:I have a snow bear snow plow on my truck ............
Hey, we have 8 more days of summer. Let's not have any talk of snow now! :lol:

Besides, I've not had to use 4WD for snow since I got my truck. I remember not being able to get out of my driveway in a gov't full size bronco for the snow.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Snow! What is this substance you speak of??
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

border man wrote:Snow! What is this substance you speak of??
This is from the land where we do not use the AC part of the year ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

First day it hit high 80's this summer (5 weeks ago) I started asking people if they were getting ready for cold weather they glowered at me, 2 weeks ago we had 37 overnight and have mid 40's most nights since. I see no issue with getting the plow lights rigged now.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

Yea its getting cooler at night the weather is on its way i would like to go ahead and get the plow lights set up and everything.. I am not much on car electronics, how do i do a relay and what kind do i get?

I have not used the 4x4 in my truck in winter yet not even to plow.. i just add a little ballast ... I have bfg allterain t/a
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have a relay you can have. I buy them in quanty for lights on the company vans. It comes with the wire harnes too. Simple enough to wire up. Like HJ's picture shows, 1 wire to a marker light. This triggers the relay to close and supply 12 volts from the battery to the lights through the relay when you turn on your lights. I wire a toggle switch in this wire also. So your plow lights don't work if you don't have the blade on. 1 wire to the new lights. The other side of the lights to ground. 1 wire from the relay to ground. 1 wire to the battery. If you want the relay, PM me your address. I will also make a wire diagram for you. Darrell
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I forgot to add... I use a double throw toggle switch on the relay to turn on the plow lights and to turn off the truck's headlights and vice-versa. This stops the truck's headlights from reflecting back off the back of the blade and being in your eyes.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

Ok i have a general idea know but still need help...

I am wanting to use a 4 way flat trailer light harness tied into the relay so that when i hook my plow up i just plug the 4way on the truck to the 4 way on the plow from the lights and turn signals... What is the best way to do that?

Brad