Ditching fog lights aftermarket corners?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Ditching fog lights aftermarket corners?

Post by s10 again »

Ok I'm probably driving you guys nuts by now. One of you guys will likely link right to what I'm looking for But I had no luck.

I found some headlights and corners that I like. However of course I have factory fogs so corners say they won't fit. But if I remove the fog lights would they fit then? Could I go to JY and find non-fog brackets? Or am I stuck with what I have?

Thanks everyone!
Chris
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Ditching fog lights aftermarket corners?

Post by HenryJ »

s10 again wrote:I found some headlights and corners that I like. However of course I have factory fogs so corners say they won't fit. But if I remove the fog lights would they fit then? Could I go to JY and find non-fog brackets? Or am I stuck with what I have?
The non-fog light turn signal assemblies will fit right in place of the fog/turn assembly. The fog lights are a part of the turn signal assembly and come right off with them.

Gotta link to what you are looking at? We want to see what you are thinking about installing.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

I think these might look good and not be as ricey as projector lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-04-CH ... 3522wt_907

Chris.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pretty ricey ;)

One problem that I see is the smooth front cover those have. That is not going to hide the dimples and dings from road debris. Bugs will stain and pit that surface as well.
There may also be an issue with proper distribution of the light for the headlamp assembly. Those rely upon the reflectors back surface to direct the light rather that a focused lens in front of the lamp to direct the light. I have a feeling that they may perform poorly at night.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

I have had headlights like this before but on different vehicles. 94 moowtang gt, 92 f/s chevy, 2000 f150. All of them had an improvement over stock. The f150 was unbelievable I could see a mile ahead.(But it had twice the reflector size) If that holds same for the s10 won't know till I try. If I don't like them I'll craigslist them near what I pay for them and either try something new or throw the stockers back in. providing there is any money left from fixing the rear end to get them in the first place.

To me I think they look like something that GM would have done to freshen up the s10s had they not replaced them with that thing.

Keep in mind my truck is black might not have the same effect on other color trucks.

Chris.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Very ricey.

I saw a set similer to those onebay I almost got. The background of em were "blacked out" (and my truck is black, I was going for the blacked out as much as possible idea), and only the lights/reflectors were white. Looked good on ebay. Then saw a few of em around town a few months later... glad i didnt get em, ricey as heck.

Now,,,, this had bettter help cause it took my a few minutes to find my paypal transacation from jun 09 when I bought em, lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-04-CH ... ccessories

Clear corners, with the fog. If that intrests you. The price is... up there... the housing is kinda cheap plastic, as you would probably expect. I accidently dropped the grill while removing it doing my body lift, it came off suddenly after lots of forcing, and it broke one o the clips on the assembly, but its still hanging in there just fine.

I actually think the fog lights project much better with that aftermarket assembly. It still doesnt do much... it spreads the light much wider and a bit further out, but still it only shines like 10ft infront, but I like it enough to drive with em on most of the time. Helps me to see any retarded animals that might dart infront of my truck.

Was worried they fogs could get hot and melt the made in china assembly, but it is holding up just fine.