Sylvania Silverstar halogen bulbs

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Sylvania Silverstar halogen bulbs

Post by NTXCrew »

I just got some new headlight bulbs (at Wal-Mart) last night and put 'em in on my lunch break this morning-15 minutes and I've never even done that on another vehicle before. I'm going to try them out tonight. They're Sylvania Silverstar halogen bulbs 9006 for the low beams. They were $37.63+tax for the pair. I didn't want to pay for new headlamps... They seem bright, but it's pretty hard to tell in the middle of the afternoon. :D My OEM low bulbs were Philips and the highs are also Sylvania. If I like the lows, I'm going to buy the high beams at Autozone tonight (Wal-Mart didn't have the 9005's). They're 1000 lumens (the high beams are 1700) and the light temp is 4000 degrees K. Sylvania's standard HID's are 4100 and standard halogen are 3200. Sylvania's website has a link about an install on a Jeep Cherokee. here it is...

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/ ... /index.asp

Keep in mind that the Jeep has sealed beam and in our's you just replace the bulb.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Sylvania Silverstar halogen bulbs

Post by Conman »

NTXCrew wrote:I just got some new headlight bulbs (at Wal-Mart) last night and put 'em in on my lunch break this morning-15 minutes and I've never even done that on another vehicle before. I'm going to try them out tonight. They're Sylvania Silverstar halogen bulbs 9006 for the low beams. They were $37.63+tax for the pair. I didn't want to pay for new headlamps... They seem bright, but it's pretty hard to tell in the middle of the afternoon. :D My OEM low bulbs were Philips and the highs are also Sylvania. If I like the lows, I'm going to buy the high beams at Autozone tonight (Wal-Mart didn't have the 9005's). They're 1000 lumens (the high beams are 1700) and the light temp is 4000 degrees K. Sylvania's standard HID's are 4100 and standard halogen are 3200. Sylvania's website has a link about an install on a Jeep Cherokee. here it is...

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/ ... /index.asp

Keep in mind that the Jeep has sealed beam and in our's you just replace the bulb.

I heard they are great bulbs. I might have to hit my new wally world for a set then.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

THEY ARE AWESOME!!!! So awesome that I went and bought the high beam bulbs at Autozone...$19.99 a piece, but they're really bright 'n white, too.......now I gotta replace those 27 watt fog lamps...they seem soooo yellow now...
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Did they not offer the brights at Wally World?
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

nope....they had other light models (9007, etc...) and had the 9005 in their Cool Blue Series (not as white), but not Silverstar. Autozone didn't have the 2 packs....why, I don't know.
-Jim
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

I replaced my APC Superwhites with the Sylvania's after the dealer threw my APC's away with my broken headlight housing when they replaced the damage to my front end after I tagged the deer. I was soooooooo pissed!

But...I switched all four bulbs to the Sylvania's! Holy SCHMOKES! The Sylvania's are even better then the APC's! Twice the money, but worth it I think.

The quad beam conversion is next. IF that will not melt my wiring. Anyone have any idea if that will be a problem?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

dhawke wrote:
The quad beam conversion is next. IF that will not melt my wiring. Anyone have any idea if that will be a problem?
Each bulb has it's own set of wiring (not shared) and they are fused.

I don't see how it could be a problem.

Besides you'd overload the relay and burn it out before it fried anything else.

It's been working for me :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Thanks man!! I'm on it!!
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

Has anyone tried these on their truck or are the Sylvania's that much better they are worth the money. I have a burned out driving light and want to replace that and the headlight bulbs as well with some brighter ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2420801561
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

New Ride: 2006 Chevy Silverado SS[/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Those look like the APC's I just replaced with the Silverstars....

I say, spend the extra money. The APC's are a huge improvement over the stock bulbs, but the Silvania's are even better than the APC's. The APC's have the same temperature rating as the Silvania's, but they just didn't seem quite as bright.

Sport Compact did a comparison some months back, the Silvania's won hands down.

You won't regret buying either type. They're both a huge improvement over the stock, really, really yellow bulbs.
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

Went out this afternoon and got the Silverstar's also. The Sylvania website has a printable rebate form for $10 back good through 06/30/03. :D

Any recomendation on a good 881 bulb for the driving lights?
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

Doc

Ligth bulbs

Post by Doc »

I got some bulbs off ebay for $9.99 plus shipping. Not sure of the type but they have a slight blue tint. They work great and are cheap. Just go to Ebay and type "chevy s10 lights"
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I found the 881's from Eurolight.com for $35 a pair. They're actually xenon, but I haven't put em on yet.
-Jim
Doc

Blue xenon lights

Post by Doc »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2422174565

Try this link, The bulbs are cheap and they work great!!!
Doc

Get 4 bulbs for $9.99

Post by Doc »

TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Driving light replacement

Post by TheBigFitz »

Thanks Doc, that is what I did. I replaced my driving light 881's with a pair of 889's with the Xenon gas on E-Bay for $17 shipped. From what I understand, the 881's and 889's are interchangeable. Those in combination with my Sylvania Silverstars, WOW what a difference.