Relay Help

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

MikeyZR5

Relay Help

Post by MikeyZR5 »

I am going to hook up my fogs and I forgot what goes where on the relay, can someone help me out!?

Thanks alot!!!
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

OK...I did some good ole research and found this document online...from KC foglight installations:

Just in case someone needs it for future reference.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks for posting that pic :D

I've installed a million relays and i still don't have that memorized :!:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Okay, I noticed that my KC dayliters have joined the ranks of some of my pet ducks and died. I figured it was in my switch because of the many times I have removed the dash trim for the e-fan problems. I checked their + and - wires and they were good along with the fuse. The ignition on + wire was good but, I went ahead pulled the battery, it's shelf, coolant recovery tank to check all the wires, removed all wire connectors and soldered every thing up and finished with heat shrink tubing. No Da*n lights! It's got to be the KC supplied relay. Does anyone know of a good relay available in auto parts stores? Everything I have seen looks cheap and not suited for exterior (engine bay) conditions. I may as well buy two because my aux reverse lights had a suicide pact with the KCs :x
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I usually just grab a handful at the salvage yard. Heck you can get a whole bag full of relays and fuses for $5. Barring that, any auto parts store relay should suffice.

I have not seen a huge difference in the inner workings of the standard DPST relays. Any of them will work fine in an engine compartment. If they get full of water drain them, dry them and they will usually function again. This is why it is important to locate them with the terminals down.

Pop the cover off of your old relay and see what the problem was. If it is toasted then perhaps you need to separate the load and use two relays. If it has water damage, relocate, reorient, and protect the new one.

I see the images above are no longer valid :mad: That is why I prefer to link images from "our" gallery. At least then we can count on them being available for the long term.

Here is a diagram:

#85 , green positive relay activate
#86 , black negative relay activate
#30 , yellow supply
#87 , white Normally open to accessory
#87a , black Normally closed to accessory
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I really wasn't worried about the price of relays but, this one in question, is a hassle to get to and test, I wanted something a little more reliable. Since it is from a "good" supplier and under a year old. I was hoping to make things a little more "bullet proof" given my track record.

I guess one must visibly inspect a vehicle's functions like a pilot does before "take off" each and every time. We have been lulled into expecting things to work when they should.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can definately get some "bullet proof" relays if you want to stray from the standard automotive DPST relay.
Check Jameco and other electrical suppliers. There are thousands to choose from.

I stick with the standard automotive relays because they are easily replaceable and ever car out there has one I can steal in a pinch.
Perhaps relocation to a more convenient place would be a good course of action?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:................................Perhaps relocation to a more convenient place would be a good course of action?
I have considered the location but, the engine bay is so darn "busy" fashion wise, I was having difficulty deciding how to color coordinate. :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Word on the street is that black is the "in color", all the relays are wearing it this year ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Word on the street is that black is the "in color", all the relays are wearing it this year ;)
Is that the official word? Blessed for all occasions after Easter?
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Word on the street is that black is the "in color", all the relays are wearing it this year ;)
Is that the official word? Blessed for all occasions after Easter?
actually.......year round....provided you are north of the equator...which we are!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I have used relays from NAPA in the past, but the last few have been made in China, and haven't been too reliable, so beware
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

rlrnr53 wrote:I have used relays from NAPA in the past, but the last few have been made in China, and haven't been too reliable, so beware
Thanks for the "heads up". I am getting a little tired of stuff being made in China. I've even purchased some craftsman items recently that was made in China. I admit that there has been a slight gap in my craftsman purchases (like 3 decades) so, it was a shock to me :!:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, a Borg-Warner relay and some gold plated female connectors with some dielectric grease coating the connections got one daylighter up and running (I knew the other wasn't going to light up from my troubleshooting yesterday). Will have to wait out this rain before tearing into the non working light to toss a meter on it. Might be the connections behind the grill. I need to go in there anyway due to the quad mod joining the suicide pact with all the other aux relays. :lol:

HJ, are those aftermarket back up light bulbs holding up for you? Looks like I have one out already. Noticed it when I checked my aux BU lights yesterday.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Okay, I was fiddling around with the aux backup lights last night trying to get one to work. I apparently grounded a hot wire and the good one went out. I figured it was a fuse blown but, it's not. Can a relay be blown in this manner?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...I figured it was a fuse blown but, it's not. Can a relay be blown in this manner?
Yes.

The relay is a tiny electro magnet. This is wire wrapped around a piece of metal and energized it creates a magnetic field. This magnets core is one side of the connection through the relay. The other side is a metal contact that is drawn down when the magnet is energized. When the two touch the circuit is completed and power can flow through.

That is kind of a simplistic explanation.

If the tiny wire for the coil was shorted , it can easily be burned out. This would have the relay fail to energize.
You can test this with a multimeter. Check the continuity between #85 and #86 If there is no continuity, the wire has been broken and the magnet will not energize.

You can also pop the plastic cover off the relay and check out the relay for damage. Another possible cause would be fouled contacts. While possible, this would be unusual. The contacts in this case rarely see very high voltages and therefore don't foul like the old points distributors used to.

Anyway...you have some things to check now :mg: Not a bad idea to keep a spare relay in the rig. They do fail like fuses , although not as often. They are a good safeguard in that aspect. Better than burning down the truck.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks, Brule! I'll pick up 2 this morning when I get My Water Wetter
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I just fixed mine. they've been out for a month or so. I've gone through seven relays, from the KC one, to cheap autozone relays, to the more expensive bosch relays. I finally got frustrated and dug up an old PAC-200 I had stored from an audio install in a previous vehicle. I can hear the relay turn on and off from inside the cab with the engine running. :lol: Its as big as a soda can and weighs over two pounds. I doubt I'll have to worry about it anytime soon.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It was the fuse after all. Taught me not to just eye ball a fuse instead of breaking out the meter :oops:

BTW, Walt, I melted my 4th set of KC light covers last night :thumb:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:It was the fuse after all. Taught me not to just eye ball a fuse instead of breaking out the meter :oops:

BTW, Walt, I melted my 4th set of KC light covers last night :thumb:
Which ones? the plastic yellow ones? You leave them on to long? I just got a pair of old black generic 6 inch lights. I may put the Wagner 150 watt bulbs in them. :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I gave you the yellow ones. :lol:

It's this style

It's usually RELAY related but, yesterday I pulled my coolant recovery tank (the relay was mounted to one of the tank's fasteners) while changing my coolant and it must of hit a battery post and blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse and pulled a cover off the light to check it. I put the cover back on intending to immediately turn the switch off. Something distracted me. Image

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote: Here is a diagram:

#85 , green positive relay activate
#86 , black negative relay activate
#30 , yellow supply
#87 , white Normally open to accessory
#87a , black Normally closed to accessory
OK Brule, I know you might not even reply to this but, I am simply not retaining exactly how this works. I know that I am electrically challenged and have told you many times that I am an electrical moron :!:

You have to try to explain this in the simplest of terms to me.

#30 is a constant hot to the relay?
#85 would be from a switch supplying 12 v to the relay to activate something like a light?

#87 is wired to the light's positive wire?

If, those 3 are correct, which I doubt, what is wired to the relay to ground it?

All I want is to flip a switch that sends 12 v to the relay and it turns on a light.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I go back to that same picture and explanation every time I do a relay too.

You have them all correct. You just need to ground #86.

If you look at the little diagram to the left side you see #85 and #86. The are positive and negative for that little coil. It is an electromagnet that pulls the contacts closed for the relay. Either one can be positive and still work. as long as one is positive and the other is negative it will work.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks again! I've got 2 of the 3 wired up now. :shock:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule or Walt, hopefully one last question for you.:wink: I am putting a 30 A fuse at the battery and that wire will be connected to the lower connector block in the first photo. Do I need another inline fuse for each pair of lights and if so, where? The unattached red wires coming out of the relays are to each pair of lights The unattached blue wires will be connected to the switches. Thanks!

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The one fuse at the battery for the wire supplying the terminal block will protect the system. If you have an individual lamp with a problem it might not be enough to blow that fuse given the distance.
The relays would burn out in this case. They will protect the wiring and prevent a fire. You can protect them by adding a fuse between them and each of the lights.

A fuse inline between the relay and the lights would not be a bad idea.

Would I add three more fuses? Probably not. I would be comfortable with only the one fuse for the supply at the battery. I see it as less places to have to try and find a problem.
That may not be the best way. It may not even be the "correct way". It will work and should be safe enough. Remember K.I.S.S. The more places for something to go wrong the better chances something will.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I agree with Brule. A fuse at the battery is a must. You want it as close as possible to the battery. If you really want to add individual fuses, there's nothing wrong with that, but the aforementioned K.I.S.S. principle should be considered. :)

Are you running the positive or ground trigger inside the cab for the on/off switch?
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:...................Are you running the positive or ground trigger inside the cab for the on/off switch?
:lol: I "THINK" a positive but, nothing is set in stone yet :wink:

all the wires are run to their meeting place but, nothing is connected yet. Cab is still torn apart. Inline fuse to each light is out of the question now unless I start from scratch. Lights are wired in pairs.

The switches have an LED and three prongs
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

22 months later I get new info? Whew, am glad I wasn't hanging onto a cliff face. :lol:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ah be nice, Brule probably just now got his dial up to connect again :lol: