LED Tail Lights

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

npiper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

LED Tail Lights

Post by npiper »

Anyone have these LED tail lights?
I looked everywhere but I couldn't find any pictures of them installed, so I figured I'd see if anyone here has them on their trucks. I've already made my decision to buy them, because IMO they'll go nicely with the black roof racks and other black accents on the truck, but I still figured I'd ask.

Also, the LEDs will match the Fire and Ice bar I'm planning on getting eventually.

And the third tail light maybe if I can find one. Does anyone sell a different third brake light for our truck? Preferably black/smoked LEDs. I've found them but they all only fit regular cab, so does anyone know of any that fit a crew cab? or if maybe they would actually fit?

Thanks!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: LED Tail Lights

Post by F9K9 »

I can't recall anyone going this route so, you may be doing a little ground work with your LEDs. I have them in various places on my "heep". You may have to do a "flasher" mod to keep them from going into warp drive. Please keep us up to date with this mod.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I have these lights installed on my truck. I can take photos tomorrow and post. I have the ones that are the red stock look. They work great and look great. Just dont pay a dime over $80 for them on ebay! One guy in canada sells the same ones everyone else sells for $150 for $80 thats how I got mine.

There is no current 3rd brake light mod for our trucks with an LED swap. You would just have to replace the two bulbs with LEDs. My CC is currently decked out 100% LEDs in all parking, turn and brake lights. I have been converting my cars this way for years, my 90 suburban was all LEDs also. I love the looks it gives the NJ MVC people when they do my inspections. They cant fail me because all the lights work and are visible. Plus the tail lights are SAE/DOT approved so they cant fail me there either!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
npiper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by npiper »

If you could post pictures that would be great, and I'm thinking of doing the same thing with mine. Will the back up lights be brighter with LED bulbs? Could you recommend a place to buy the LEDs to swap and maybe some of the models I will need to buy? Thanks a lot! Also the taillights cost about 80 dollars so I didn't do too bad. Should be here Monday now.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You'll more than likely need to do a flasher mod or purchase a new flasher unit. Otherwise, they will blink way to fast. Don't ask me for any further details because I am electrically challenged. :roflmao:

I had to do it with my heep and I am currently waiting on a couple of new jeep mods to beta test but, they are related.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

F9K9 wrote:You'll more than likely need to do a flasher mod or purchase a new flasher unit. Otherwise, they will blink way to fast. Don't ask me for any further details because I am electrically challenged. :roflmao:

I had to do it with my heep and I am currently waiting on a couple of new jeep mods to beta test but, they are related.

I didnt have to do a flasher mod but I did it anyways because my front turn signals are LED. The tail lights come with their own load regulators.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Had a busy weekend so this is all you get for now heh. If anyone really wants me to I can get some photos of them working. I have a nice SLR camera I can probably get some night parking lot shots with.

Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

10-28/29 New Jersey Yankee-Sierra-Tango 3-5-Bravo
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
npiper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by npiper »

I got them installed today :D They look great. Installation was very simple. There is actually a blinker installed on the back on the housing and it makes the LEDs blink at the correct speed. Only problem I had that was for some reason my left tail light's screws weren't long enough to hold the new one, but I got two new screws for that side and they're fine now. I'm very happy with my purchase. If anyone wants the link I bought them from, here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023W ... 3HHFM6CPM4.
$83.95 plus about $10 shipping, much better than the same ones at Andy's Auto Sport.
Finally, here's a picture:

PS Nice truck and lights ApproahMedium
And what border man?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

npiper wrote:... And what border man?
XYP , PDQ
Ownership information and records check on vehicle...

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Thanks! Its a must see at night! The front sidemarkers are UV/Blacklight LEDs. Front turn signals are LED, LP and as you can see the rears are LED also. It looks hot on the road at night without being ridiculous thats why I like it.

And im not worried about people knowing what my LP is. Its something thats on the car and anyone on the street can see it in NY NJ PA. Not like you couldn't tell thats my truck as it is anyways... The Lady at the NJMVC said that the plate stood for You Stupid Twit 35 B***** LOL!
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Approach Medium, what station are you parked at in the first pic?
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ridgefield park. Also known by the foamers from all around conrail land as CP5.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Looks good, definitely need some night shots. I'm gonna replace all my plastic soon to freshen up the truck.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ok Ill see what i can do this week. Its been brutally hot and humid here in NJ and after working all day outside I tend to just stay inside heh.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

What are you talking about, it was 111 here yesterday. Just beautiful....
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

111 in AZ and 100 in NJ are two totally different things! LOL
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ok so here it goes, what you've all been waiting for! I finally got down to a parking lot and took some night photos. I really didnt play with the SLR too much so please excuse the crappy lighting etc. Ill take some better ones if I venture out to PA this weekend.

Shoulda taken them from the pass side... Now everyone gets to see how banged up my drivers side bed is. The lighting makes it look 10x worse! Also a note to anyone that wants these tails. Get yourself a pair of red 194 LED lights. They dont give you an LED for the side marker and it just looks a whole lot better with all LED in the lense than LED with a single incandescent bulb. Red LEDs are a pure red color and usually will all match nicely.

I definatly need better front shots. Cant really see the UV LED sidemarkers to well.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks great! I may have missed it but, what wheels are those?
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

They are Ion Alloys. I got them from JC Whitney was the cheapest thing that was the stock size that didnt look like a honda civic wheel. They are nice but they are a headache right now because the offset sticks out a bit further than stock....
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ