I'm going to start this thread as a result of very recent incident and that I ran across a new twist to solving a problem. Please post up anything that you may think is common knowledge but, to many others, it really isn't.
A week ago this past Monday morning, I stumbled outside to let my dog out just after daylight. I had been working on my heep and had it up on jack stands with the drive shafts removed. It had been like that for a week but, we had a storm roll through in the morning darkness. I had a friend stay over and they parked behind the heep. To make a long story short, I glanced over at the heep and saw this.
Yep, some idiot didn't set the parking brake and the end result was $2,200 in damage. So, I loaned the CC to the friend to go home, that was 2 hrs away, and I drove the grand to work. I got a phone call later in the day that the CC was over heating. The e-fans were not running. I did all that I could to talk her through checking the override on switch, off switch and the inline fuses. She did really well and assured me that the fuses were good. She let it cool off and went to a local service station that actually sold gas and repaired vehicles. They did what they could in checking things but, being modified they were afraid to dig to deep.
I told her to lower all the windows, turn the ac off and come on back because it would be fine on the high way w/o the e-fans. I had gone to Hot Springs, AR without the fans in August a few yrs back and it stayed good if, the AC was off.
I dug into it that night when I got off work. All the fuses were good but, when I checked the hot wire to the e-fan's variable speed controller (VSC) I didn't read any voltage on the hot wire that was past the fuse. I thought "bingo" and ran out and bought a new inline fuse holder. When I returned and was about to cut the old fuse holder out, I wanted to double check myself, because the wire and fuse holder was commercial grade and designed for a 2-way 110 watt radio. I threw the meter on again and had 12+ volts on the wire. WTF! I had checked the controller using Flex-A-Lite's instructions and had none of the LEDs light up like they were supposed to. I ordered a new VSC from Summit and when it arrived, I threw it in the CC. You guessed it, still no e-fans. The VSC had changed again and came with a pretty neat inline fuse holder using a maxi fuse so, I changed it out in desperation. Those sweet LS1 e-fans made music to my ears when I hooked the battery back up.
Now when I have problems I will check things more than once or twice and look for intermittent readings.