running wire through firewall

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

bmann 12
Crew
Crew

running wire through firewall

Post by bmann 12 »

i am looking to put subs in the back of my 2002 zr5 crew cab and i was trying to find the hole with the plug in it to run the power wire through it but i can not find it? is there one even under the carpet or would i have to drill into the firewall my self?
"It'll buff out"
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: running wire through firewall

Post by HenryJ »

The antenna grommet on the passenger side is a good one. Under the heater just below the top edge of the carpet.

On the driver side you can puncture the boot that the wiring bundle uses just under the brake booster. That is a harder one to use.
HenryJ wrote:I ran both the power wire for my Bazooka tube and the one for my Ham radio through the antenna grommet in the passenger side footwell-

That is probably the best place , and I have had no interference issues.

The other place that I have run wires is through the rubber boot of the firewall bulkhead wiring connection in the upper left hand portion of the drivers side foot well. The wires enter the engine compartment between the fender and the brake booster. This is a much harder place to insert wires. I use a long piece of brass rod or gas welding rod to puncture through attach the wire and pull back through. This works pretty well for wires up to 14ga. in size.
Power Wire Help

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I need to stress this: SEAL/PLUG WHATEVER HOLE YOURUN WIRE THROUGH!!!!! Ok, sorry for the caps.. :lol: Body shops will love you if you don't reseal those grommet holes. Either use another grommet that will fit, or silicon the hole. Otherwise, your floor board will start feeling squishy and start smelling. (water will come in through the grommet hole if you don't seal it somehow.)

...sent from my android mobile.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

i just drilled a hole through the front passenger floor board, put in a rubber grommet, and ran my wires underneath the carpet.

what kind of subs are you lookin to put in the CC? cause i had a hard time fitting subs and boxes that would fit, but i finally found a good one that fits
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I had a shop do my subs. Ironically they got the box idea from this website.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family