Pick-up theater system ( laptop mount )

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Pick-up theater system ( laptop mount )

Post by HenryJ »

Just got back from a trip north. I built a quick place to hold the notebook for viewing DVD's on the trip.

I used some of the "No-slip" shelf liner (for RV's) to keep it from moving around. It worked great!

Tach rates it "Two Thumbs up" ;)

I just plug it into the powerport via a 150W power inverter, and use the RCA aux. inputs to play the sound through to stock sound system.

It made a long trip a little shorter.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Good thinking. My kids would like that. It beats the $300 or more they want for one of those seatback hanging models.

Question: What's that gauge you've put on your steering column? It's too small to make out in the pic.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mike H. wrote:
Question: What's that gauge you've put on your steering column? It's too small to make out in the pic.
That's the fuel guage for the Aux. fuel tank, there are better pics of it in the "write-up".
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Got it, thanks.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

nice to see you on the forum while driving down the road :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

nothing wrong with watching movies or playing xbox/playstation while driving..I do it too :evil:

I have a laptop too with an s-video output and the system above has the input. I had a 7 hour drive where the rear passangers watched the laptop while myself and the girlfriend watched the same thing on the 6" screen in front..It sure does beat paying $300 for the flipdown lcd's.
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

ok Henry, aka Mr. Gadget. Go go gadget truck! :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

And there's people worried about talking on a cell phone while driving! :roll: :lol:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Doc

I have to agree with Mark...

Post by Doc »

How do you DRIVE and watch TV?

As a Firefighter/EMT, part time law enforcement and a motorcyclist I wish people would pay closer attention to there driving. I have seen too many accidents that were caused by the driver not paying enough attention.

Sorry to get on my soapbox and I don't mean to offend... Those are some cool upgrades for passengers to watch..., I just don't think a driver should be preoccupied with that or a video game, OR a cell phone.

Ok I will get off the soapbox.

Cool toys...Just be careful, I would hate to have to use the "jaws of life" to rip your "Crew" apart to get you out. :(
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: I have to agree with Mark...

Post by Warnoffroad »

Doc wrote:How do you DRIVE and watch TV? :(

You have 2 eyes right? Keep on on the TV and the other on the road :wink:
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Doc wrote:
Cool toys...Just be careful, I would hate to have to use the "jaws of life" to rip your "Crew" apart to get you out. :(

as long as you get some pictures :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Doc wrote:How do you DRIVE and watch TV?

Sorry to get on my soapbox and I don't mean to offend... Those are some cool upgrades for passengers to watch...
Exactly as it is intended for PASSENGERS, I do enjoy listening though.

There was no other option to mount something of this size anywhere else , that I could find. Plus it really comes in handy as a table for writing notes, setting drinks and food, etc. (not while driving :roll: ) ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I know that at least one person is interested in adding a laptop mount for their truck, and I ran across this:
Nice idea using existing seat mounts to attach. I'll have to keep that in mind ;)

Base and pole mount

Laptop mount

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Update: added a cup holder to the table top-

- ThunderII KE7CSK
code3crew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

home theater

Post by code3crew »

I agree with doc that driving and worring about distractions gets people hurt. Doc your not law enforcement!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Came across another mount-
Jotto desk

It is near the bottom. Fully adjustable and priced at $150, I would probably have bought this one :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

the one 2bunik did was a nice idea, and you could also easliy add one in the back like that as well if you mounted it on the back of the center console
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yet another mounting system for the laptop- Ram-mount.com laptop mounts

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

And yet another mount for 30 bucks and as the pics show here it appears to be worthy of "wheelin'" I ordered one this evening for my wife to "give" to me :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Got my power inverter in today. Picked up a 400 watt model on ebay for 19.99 but I don't think it will last long. My first clue was on the packaging.

"has an external spade type 'fush'" If they can't have someone proofread packaging I am a tad leary of the product.

Just hope it powers my laptop without "frying it".

Oh well :lol: I'll just make sure to have extra fushes when wheeling.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There have been some more questions about my laptop shelf , so I threw together a few more photos and a quick mod page- Laptop Tabletop

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

At $50 this looks like a great solution : http://www.jeniko.com/

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:At $50 this looks like a great solution : http://www.jeniko.com/
I am going to try one. It comes to $66 with shipping and handling. I may install it in the truck if it looks really good. That will free up the table top for other things and add some adjustability.
If that doesn't look like it will work there very well, it will go in the wifes Maxx.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That is a good price but, you will soon find out the sheet metal screws will not mix with our floorboards. The stuff is is what I call "pot metal", way to soft to hold. Of course, you will fab up something to make it work with a backing plate of a similar method. :wink: I just had a rough time with my mount and the only good metal is close to the seat anchoring points.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...you will soon find out the sheet metal screws will not mix with our floorboards...you will fab up something to make it work with a backing plate of a similar method.
That is my plan. I have no doubt that reinforcement will be needed on the back side. I like to use bolts, but may use Nutserts if the location is inconvenient for access to a nut on the back side.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Jeniko laptop mount arrived today. It did require some modification to fit the way I wanted it to.

I drilled out all six mounting bolts to accept 5/16" bolts. The base was mounted between the seat and console. Centered just behind the front seat bolt.

This area has a reinforcement on the underside. Five out of six bolts when through this extra plating on the underside. It should be plenty sturdy. Some massaging of the interior sheet metal and the back of the bracket was bent down to conform.

The carpet covers it nicely.

I cut the top T-bar down. It was nearly twice as long as I needed.

Of course the modding did not stop there. I had to have my cup holder. This time I cut two 3" holes for twin cup holders.

These help to hold the "no slip" cover in place and come in very handy. I was not able to retain the "Laptop Tabletop" The mount for it interfered with this one, so it has been removed.
This looks good so far. It seems to be sturdy. Time will tell.

Oh! I did have one casualty. I twisted the knob for the height adjustment apart :mad: I sent an email to see if I can get a replacement.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks great! Will you passenger seat move it's original range of motion or can't you tell yet?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It will not move to the full forward position. It lacks about an inch or two from full forward. I have no need for it that far forward anyway.
It is a soft hit. The base for the foam is where it comes up against the support. I could pull the cover and massage the base with a BFH to make it clear, and may if I need to someday.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

About the same with mine. The power seat tries to move it but, Mrs. Hoff usually remembers in time when she is moving her seat. 3+ yrs and she has only driven it twice. I wish she would drive it so, I can get some minor work done on her car.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I made a trip to the hardware store after deciding that I need to make my attachment system adjustable. I have a couple different laptops that may be used on the new mount and who knows what will be next.

Here is the hardware that I used:
Two 1/4" threaded hooks, two 1/4"x7" turnbuckles , two 3"x1/2" dia springs , 6" of 1/4" rubber vacuum line tubing, 16" of 3/4" convoluted tubing, 1/2" and 1/4" heat shrink tubing.

Remove and discard the right hand threaded eyelet from the turnbuckle.
Straighten the threaded hook to 90°. Then using a measurement of your installed laptop bend an additional 90° to create a hook to hold your laptop.
Slip a piece of shrink tubing to cover the shaft of the threaded hook to isolate it from the hole in the table top.

Slide a piece of the rubber tubing over the hook to insulate it from damaging the laptop. Hairspray works as a lubricant for installation and dries to hold it in place. I capped the end with an appropriately sized vacuum line cap.

Thread the left hand threaded eyelet all the way into the turnbuckle. Push a piece of shrink tubing over the body of the turn buckle and shrink it in place. Cut away excess from the end where the threaded rod from the hook will be attached. Insert the rod of the hook through the hole in the top and thread a nut on the rod. Now thread the turn buckle on the rod. Attach the spring to the eyelet and the hole on the other side of the top. Loosen the turn buckle as needed for spring tension.

Cover the spring and eyelet to insulate them.

It will be a while before I test them out, but I am happy with how it turned out. Time to complete less than 2 hours including the gathering of supplies. Cost was less than $10.

This is a 15" laptop and the one that usually travels with me.

Here is a 17" widescreen onboard.

You could add the same hooks to the back side of the top too if needed. Four of these would really secure a laptop. I am not sure if that will be needed. Right now my cupholders take priority.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A velcro strap to easy?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:A velcro strap to easy?
Perhaps. It came with adhesive mount velcro. The instructions show two pieces strategically placed to hold it.
The "RV no slip" cover does a pretty good job. I needed a little more to hold it.
Are you saying my hooks are overkill? :lol:

Well maybe they are. I do get accused of building bullet proof when Tyvek would suffice.

Velcro straps might work too. They might get in the way when not in use and wear out. I think the hooks will outlast the rest of the mount. ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Overkill? I dunno. Velcro has worked pretty well for me but, it has come lose in the summer heat when I didn't have them under tension and a laptop mounted. I can tell you that every wheeling pic that I have posted of the CC that the Sony VAIO was on board with out any problems.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK. I took your recommendation and added velcro straps to the back side. They are attached with snaps. They swivel underneath or can be removed if not needed. It is 3/4" wide and should just clear the DVD tray.

Are you happy now? (j/k) :lol:

It is not a bad idea and I know for sure it will be secure now. Thanks :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:added velcro straps to the back side. They are attached with snaps. They swivel underneath or can be removed if not needed. It is 3/4" wide and should just clear the DVD tray..........Are you happy now? (j/k) :lol:......:
Only you could do over kill on velcro! :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:The Jeniko laptop mount arrived today... I did have one casualty:

I twisted the knob for the height adjustment apart :mad: I sent an email to see if I can get a replacement.
Finally received an email from Jeniko. They will be sending me a new knob free of charge.
There was a delay in response, but they were apologetic about it. Seems that Tim is the one in charge of internet customer service and he was out of town.
Sounds like a small company with a good product.
I think I will get another to mount in the wifes car, and maybe a few for fire department vehicles.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

You need a paper clipImage

+

A couple sticks of gumImage

+

Some pennies, make sure they are shinnyImage

and a pair of these......

=

There you have it.....Image

Way to go HJ!!!!

[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hey! I have a jacket like that :lol:

I am getting ready to order three more of these mounts. Two for the Fire Department and one for the wife's car. I think my Dad is getting ready to buy one too.

It has held up pretty good so far. It wiggles a little offroad, but nothing nasty. I like it alot!

I will be getting two Delorme Earthmate LT-20 receivers bundled with Streets 2008 for use in the emergency vehicles. We don't have mapping available in them yet and this should get their feet wet, while I check out some other options.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Pick-up theater system ( laptop mount )

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK