Adding "comfort" signals or auto turn signals?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Adding "comfort" signals or auto turn signals?

Post by ApproachMedium »

Does anyone know what I am talking about? In my VW, and many modern cars now made in the last couple years if you tap the turn signal to the left or right instead of locking it in left or right just for a second it will automatically flash the turn signal light on that side of the car for you 3 or 4 times. Its an excellent feature for highway driving which I do a lot of and you need to pass other drivers. I have seen they make aftermarket boxes for this for Audi/VW vehicles that were made before this feature was available. I was thinking of making a device like this to plug in to S10 trucks and blazers since I have one, and I knew a few others that have them too.

My question is, is there anyone on here who would also be interested in such a device? If I could make it simple enough where you could just plug it in to lets say, the relay in the dash without any wire changes that would probably make it marketable. I am going to try and work on making the unit for myself first but if anyone else is interested in such a feature let me know. I will gladly put more time and effort in to it, and possibly a DIY if its not as simple as just plugging something in.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Adding "comfort" signals or auto turn signals?

Post by Jongo88 »

That sounds good... So you won't have to lock it up or down??
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Yes, basically if you wanna change lanes right now you can hold it down without locking it and it will flash, but you must hold it down and then let go when your done. With this mod you can just tap it down once for a second without locking, it will give you 3 or 4 blinks and then stop.

So far i found on the MKIV (1999-2005) VWs they have a relay that gets added in that does this for you. Once I can find the schematic to how it works I should be able to add it in. In the Passat Jetta and Golf they get added behind the hazard switch. I will see if i can do it right at the turn signal relay or if it has to go under the column where the MFS is tied in.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

ApproachMedium wrote:Yes, basically if you wanna change lanes right now you can hold it down without locking it and it will flash, but you must hold it down and then let go when your done. With this mod you can just tap it down once for a second without locking, it will give you 3 or 4 blinks and then stop.

So far i found on the MKIV (1999-2005) VWs they have a relay that gets added in that does this for you. Once I can find the schematic to how it works I should be able to add it in. In the Passat Jetta and Golf they get added behind the hazard switch. I will see if i can do it right at the turn signal relay or if it has to go under the column where the MFS is tied in.
Any update? :wave:
2002 Sonoma Crew
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Havent found out any details yet. Nobody can seem to get me the schematic.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ