Random No Start Solved & Starter Upgrade

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Random No Start Solved & Starter Upgrade

Post by killian96ss »

Every once in a while the engine in my 05 ZR2 would not turn over. It was very random and had been doing this for a few years, although a lot more lately. When I put the key in and turn it to start, nothing would happen. All of the dash lights would come on like normal, but that's it. I checked the starter wires and everything was good. I then disconnected the wires, cleaned up the terminals, and reinstalled them just to be sure there were no bad connections, however the problem still showed up every couple of starts.

The problem turned out to be the starter solenoid. Sometimes it would work and other times it didn't even though it was always getting power from the ignition switch. I could have just replaced the solenoid, but with 140k miles I decided to just get a new one.

If you guys want a good starter try the Powermaster 9200 Ultra Torque. It's a bolt in gear reduction mini starter with a larger 11 tooth pinion which is easier on the flexplate than the 9 tooth factory pinion. Even though its a mini starter, the main body is a little bit bigger than the factory starter, but it still fits just fine. I paid about $180 for mine through a local price match at O'Riellys.

The first time I fired up the engine I knew I made a good choice! This starter rocks! :rock: One quick blip of the ignition switch and she starts right up. The engine starts much quicker now than it did with the factory starter. To be honest I wasn't all that surprised since I have Powermaster starters on all 3 of my Chevys. They all fire up like this and I've never had to replace one. This is a very good upgrade that is not much more expensive than a new factory starter!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Random No Start Solved & Starter Upgrade

Post by HenryJ »

I like the gear reduction upgrade, smaller size and extra torque. I think you will find the starter solenoid lasts longer too. I put one on the HenryJ a very long tame ago. I figure that if I ever need a replacement, that is what I will do too.
Thanks for the reminder! :bow:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

My starter got replaced at 250K, was the original GM starter from what it looked like. I would have replaced the solenoid but we thought it was the motor itself. Turned out it was my damaged optima battery. I bet that starter coulda still been crankin!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ApproachMedium wrote:............Turned out it was my damaged optima battery. I bet that starter coulda still been crankin!
Another Optima story!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

F9K9 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:............Turned out it was my damaged optima battery. I bet that starter coulda still been crankin!
Another Optima story!
Partly my fault. It was damaged in shipping but I thought it wouldnt cause a problem. Eventually the case cracked more and then the stuff leaked out. I bought another optima and its still kicking. :)
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ApproachMedium wrote:
F9K9 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:..... I bought another optima and its still kicking. :)
Keep us posted on the long term outcome, please. Optimas, just leave a very sour taste in my mouth but, I admit that I haven't given them a fair shake, as of late. My wife's Wallyworld battery died w/o warning in her Grand Cherokee and my back up Optima fired it right up last week. The Red top had been fully charged just, before putting it on the shelf over a year ago.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I will def keep you posted! I bought two of them at the same time march of 2011 even after knowing all of the stuff I read about them on here. I purchased two marine versions for my dads boat in 2008 which gave up the ghost this summer finally. He was running a bilge pump off them constantly which seemed to drain them a lot and recharge. For what it was worth, they gave us more time than a standard set of marine deep cycles which we are lucky to get 2 years out of. And even with all of the discharges, sitting thru two really cold winters with no trickle charge they held up just fine and turned the boat over with no problem in the spring.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ