ok here is a new one on subs!! I need help with 2 10"

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

ok here is a new one on subs!! I need help with 2 10"

Post by 2bunik »

:x I cant come up with any specs for the size of a box that fits so it dont hit the rear seat/ i am trying to install two 10s .. if any one has dimensions for one ten inch sub box .. please fork them up.. ive searched and have come up empty handed..... I will use these dimensions and make it longer so airspace can be made up.... thanx for any info guys ..
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Doc

Post by Doc »

I recall... in my younger days there was some kinda equation for airspace needed in a box for a sub... If you found this (I think it is on some tuners websites) then you could compute how big of a box you would have to make.

Hope this helps, Post pics when you get it complete. I want to put in a sub and was just thinking bazooka tube.
TNC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TNC »

Depending on the subs and the amount of airspace needed, you should be able to get them to fit. As for the airspace, there are a couple of things that you can do:

1. A ported box... I don't like these...

2. Stuff the box full of fiber fill... this is what I did... It "tricks" the sub into thinking it has more airspace.

As for building the box... I have built 2 and still not to happy with them...

The first one didn't allow the seat to lock back.... the second one fits much better but the speaker rubs the back of the seat when it is turn up 25-30 on the radio... but they work for now... When I go to replace it I will be going with 2 or 3 8's...

Todd
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

If it doesn't spec how much air it needs, a standard rule of thumb for a 10" sub is to use 1 cu.ft. or 12"x12"x12" and it should be close to what the manufacturer recommends.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
WFRager
Regular
Regular

Post by WFRager »

A cubic foot sounds right for a sealed sub. Mine fits nicely, but I had to cut the seat back foam. No biggie. I also mounted the speaker from the outside as apposed to the inside. Gives a little more freedom. I also used fiber fill. My one 10" (solobarik) really pounds!
'72 Z-28, 406 EFI

'02 Crew SS wheels

'91 S-10 4x4

'89 S-10 4x4
Matt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Matt »

the size of the box (cu ft) depends on the manufacturer. Some subs take more air space than others. It also depends on the sound you are looking for. spl, sq, or just something that sounds ok. I like the spl, or sound pressure level. Some people decide that they want their stereo to sound good instead of loud, so they build a stereo more toward sq or sound quality, and then there are some people that really dont know what they are doing and dont know what they want and go to best buy or get a boozaka tube and it sound like crap. Now I am not knocking the people that dont know what they want, its just that you really are wasting your money. Spend the money and get a professional stereo shop to do the work for you (not best buy or circuit city) they dont know anything. Or spend the time and figure out what size boxes you need and how much space you have to deal with. I know that kicker has different sized boxes depending on what type of sound you want. If you dont know what type of sound you want, then I would look online for a stereo show in your area that you can go to and see what other people are doing with their stuff. I know that most people dont want to spend the money for a stereo like mine ($3k), but then most people dont want a stereo that takes up their back seat and can be heard from a block away. So my suggestion for most of the other people out there is to get a good sub (not fosgate, nothing but bad luck from them) and put it in a properly sized box and chances are that you are going to be happy with it. Or spend a ton of money and get a custom make fiberglass backseat that incorporates the stereo and seats put in. It wont be cheap, but then you will have a 1 of a kind truck. Its just my 2 cents and I will be more than happy to help anyone decide on what they want/need. Just email me at mattmruk@msn.com. Thanks for reading all this

Matt
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

not too many people may like this I dea, but its an idea, cut a hole from the bed to cab and build your box in the bed, any local topper dealer will have a rubber boot that can be cut and fitted to the cut through and you can run a beed of silicone around the edges to waterproof it,
thats what I did to fit 4 12's, and it hits very hard, my box is ported so I actually have 3 blow thro's
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

first off, find out which sub you want to put into your truck. The spec sheet will have its required cubic airspace as well as mounting depth. Those two are crucial for subs. Normally the bigger the magnet, the harder the beats (dont know why). And if there is a big magnet, there needs to be a deep mounting depth. My square 8" kicker L7 required .34 cubic feet and i believe a mounting depth of 5". I took the tire jack out, built the box there and the sub barely had 1/4" clearance inside the box but had 1/2" clearance to the seat (with the carpet cut out from the rear wall). I have sat in my friends truck with a sony 10" and it doesn't sound as good as my 8"

http://images.cardomain.com/member_imag ... 7_full.jpg
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

How to ...

Post by KCustom »

to calculate a truck box shaped enclosure.....

Top inside dim. + bottom inside Dim then divide by 2
that number x inside width x inside height
that number divided by 1728. This will be the volume in Cubic Feet
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...