Rear Driveshaft Seal

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

blakeboys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rear Driveshaft Seal

Post by blakeboys »

Hello again,
I changed my fuel filter today (got hosed with gas!!) while down there I noticed some dripping transfer case fluid. There were some small drops where the rear drive shaft go into the transfer case. My guess a seal of some kind, however does it take a input or output seal? and would this be hard to change out? Also I figure its probably been drippin slowly for some time now so what kind of fluid should I refill the transfer case with and hows that project like. Thanks ahead of time and check out my truck on my avatar. I was gonna take a few snap shots of my CC but started raining while changing fuel filter.
Image[/img]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not too bad to fix. About $25 for a good seal. The transfercase uses Dextron III spec fluid. It might be a good time to change it if you have not done so yet.
If the transfercase should happen to be over filled, then you may have a seal leaking on the input side too. Transmission fluid can transfer and over fill the transfercase.

Check your U-joints while the driveshaft is off for the seal fix. Be prepared to replace them if they are loose or dry.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blakeboys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blakeboys »

Thanks for the fast response! So since the rear drive shaft goes into the transfercase i should buy an output seal?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rear transfercase output shaft seal. Yes.
You can use a screwdriver and hammer to gently tap the outer steel lip of the seal to remove it.
To install it you will need to find a pipe or big socket that just fits it. Then gently tap it in flush. A trip to the hardware store for a PVC pipe coupler might be a good way to go. Then use a plasic deadblow hammer to install it. A rubber mallet might work too. I'd be very gentle with a steel hammer hitting a plastic pipe if you go that route.
You might be able to use a punch and carefully tap around to get it in? That may serve only to test your patience as it pops out one side and then the other.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blakeboys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blakeboys »

no need to remove the drive shaft?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:...Check your U-joints while the driveshaft is off for the seal fix.
:lol: Yes you will need to remove the driveshaft.

Boy! You really did get lots of gas in the face on that filter change :lol: Better get outside for some fresh air!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I recently did my rear diff pinion seal. Seems like that should be easier? Have fun!
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Rear Driveshaft Seal

Post by Cajun »

So the transfer case seal for the rear drive shaft was leaking on my CC so I had it changed while getting s front end alignment. Wasn't long before it began leaking again so I change it myself today. Cleaned up the area around the transfer case and went for a short drive. It is still leaking. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Cajun on Tue May 30, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Is the slip yoke corroded or pitted?
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

The slip yoke is not pitted or rusted. it is very shiny. There is a shiny ring where the old seal sat on the yoke but no perceivably groove. The seal that I installed seems to be leaking worse that the other two. Is there another seal further into the transfer case that seals the splined shaft?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I don't believe there is. Bad seal out of the box, perhaps?
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Bad seal is possible. If you ever have to change front axle seals do yourself a favor and buy GM ones. After going through 4 timken I gave up and was tired of tearing the front end apart. If your seal was original I would really look it over and compare it to what the replacement looks like. Some companies like to cheapen them up pretty bad, or even just get a bad bid on the part and end up with junk.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Changed the seal again with a tiny bead of permatex around the steel flange. Leak free!