TSB scan of 4.3 balance shaft noise

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

TSB scan of 4.3 balance shaft noise

Post by Jim »

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/TSBScans/sb628938.pdf

The rattling sound they describe has been driving me nuts since new... finally it has been recognized.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I think my 2003 might have that too. Is it kind of a vibration type of thing in the middle RPM range? Mine seems to be doing something like that. I figured it was just a thing with the enginge not being broken in yet or something. I guess it's not a serious problem, so i'll just have to get used to it I suppose.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i am not quite sure if i hear the same noise. but i hear alot of noises. my a/c makes hella noise. but i do hear the same rattle sound that i used to hear in my 1989 4.3 chevy. pre vortec years. i have lots of other clunks too. :shock:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I think someone brought this up at the old forum. So far I don't have the noise but I only have 2,700 miles on the Crew. ;)

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

If you don't have it when new you may be lucky. :) My theory is there is no adjustment in the gear clearance the noise is worse when the engine is run & let cool a little, then run again. I think it has to do with the machining & expansion of the block. You can't hear it on the outside...with the window down you don't hear it. But windows closed no heater fan or radio on you may, it's a faint rattle under acceleration from the fire wall area. The one I test drove had it & mine had it @ 50 mi. A good way to rule out detonation is fuel octane low grade or high grade same noise...ballance shaft :x .

I don't understand why the valve train on all the ones I have heard is noisy also. The 5.7 V8s were always quiet & all the 4.3s are is the 5.7 V8 missing two cylinders. :?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

My LS1 in my Z28 always had lots of valvetrain noise...especially during warm up. It wasn't too bad once it was warm, but when cold, combined with the nasty pinging when it was cold, it sounded horrible! But like I said, once it warmed up, it was pretty smooth and quiet.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lots of the early Hi-po engines sounded more like a diesel than gas engine, I though with all that piston slap they'd switch holes when cold.

Soild lift cams, anti-pump up lifters, forged pistons all had to have bigger clearances to allow for expansion. The newer alloys and designs allow for closer clearances and less rattle when cold.

So, I guess if ours rattle a bit we can just be a bit nostalgic, and imagine it is an LT1 under the hood ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK